Foiling Ribs vs. Not

QansasjayhawQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack another thread so here's a new one . . .

I've never seen a reason for foiling ribs.
I just don't get it.

I just tried foiling ribs for the first time this afternoon.

It seems to have kept them from drying out so bad as last time I tried.

Other than that, they had a little less smoke flavor, but not much.

They were also a little firm - could've been the pig though.

I used the three hours in smoke, two in foil and one back in the smoker without foil, all at 225F (or so). Spritzing with apple juice/water every 45 minutes or so. These were trimmed St. Louis style.

How do you do up your ribs, bbqjoe?

I was thinking about trying 8 hours at 200 or 12 at 180 or somesuch.

In any case, it sure elevates my respect for the BBQ joints around here who do them up right! :-D

Without being cynical (but I will be) --this has been beat to death on many forums, including this one.
Foiling or not is purely a personal decision!
Ain't no right or wrong!
Lots of historical information available.

Yeah - I know this topic has been run over more times than a roadkilled squirrel - but I was hoping to learn more about how folks who DON'T foil make it work.

Besides, there are new folks around who deserve a shot at commenting on the topic of the ages . . .

:wink:

I just foiled my 2 racks of BB's

When using the kettle, foil in the last hour of the 3 method (3 hours at 280-300) is the only way to go (for me)

My kettle has me following a whole seperate rule book, since it is naturally hotter, and foil is a tool I need (smoke grilling is a different animal than smoking)

I don't foil my ribs until they go into the hot box for holding. I generally cook spares. Trim them to St. Louis style, trim the diaphragm flap and remove the membrane... Rub 'em right as they are going on the pit. Pit temp anywhere between 235° - 275° depending on where the temp wants to settle that day. 6-7 hours until the meat pulls from the bone when you pick them up. I don't spritz, mist or mop... I do apply a glaze (Danny Gaulden's recipe) when they come off of the pit tho...

180° - 200° is too low for any type of Q'in in my opinion. To do ribs that long you risk them being turned into jerky on a stick...

James.

Under 225 is close to a dehydrater. If you want to cook ribs you are better off in the 250+ range. I mop my ribs with something that has a fat. Canola Oil, butter etc. Apple juice with a little butter is good. The fat help moisture. But when I cook large amount I dont mop.

When I was first starting out I was trying to get more product out in less time (had some hungry people in Jacksonville) was using a Pitts-n-Spitts off-set.
If I really packed one side I could get about 4 cases of St. Louis cut spares in the problem was the unused space next to the fire box (hot spot)about the size of a steam table pan. I could get about 12 slabs in a full size pan with a foil cover. Now remember I was trying to crank out some ribs so was running at about 250-260* my guess on the hot spot was a good 100* higher. 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 works for some but EVERY cooker is different and that is just a guide not the law you have to start someplace and work on it from that point on.

Back to the point or my method on a off-set +/-3 hours in smoke depending on temp avg on your cooker 45 min in a sealed pan or foil with a bit of water or drippings from your previous batch at a higher temp and then finish with sauce on a very hot grill just long enough to glaze the sauce.

Method 2 if you have a very constant heat and a insulated sealed unit with no hot spots go four hours and save the foil for the rare chance you have leftovers:wink:

I have read alot of the threads and comments from alot of very gifted brothers here. In my opinion trying it both ways I have decided to foil them. They always turn out most and taste great. Its like mom always said if it isn't broke don't fix it!

I don't foil my ribs until they go into the hot box for holding. I generally cook spares. Trim them to St. Louis style, trim the diaphragm flap and remove the membrane... Rub 'em right as they are going on the pit. Pit temp anywhere between 235° - 275° depending on where the temp wants to settle that day. 6-7 hours until the meat pulls from the bone when you pick them up. I don't spritz, mist or mop...
James.

Yesterday was the first time I didn't foil, and this was pretty much the way I did it. I did spray some AJ avery 45-60 mins or so after the 1st 3 hrs.

I see no reason for me to foil anymore.

Like the Kap'n said, foil is a personal preference.
And all methods are created equal.
It's just that some methods are more equal than others.:wink:

IMHO, basting as often as you can gives more flavor than wrapping. What is the Brethrens input on this?

Keeping your cooker closed may be more important than constant peeking,basting,moping and such

Before I answer......My tastes are different that some of the folks I cook for. (I like spicy dry spare ribs with a smokier flavor, rich color and some tug). Each cooker I use cooks ribs differently. I cook spares different that BB's. I don't have a problem with using foil (and if you recall my recent post about foil use on the MIM show) I may start using more of it. I am a baster. An old baster. :mrgreen:

No sense listing all of the variables and techniques I use, but here is how I have been doing BB's for folks that like very tender, near fall-off-the-bone ribs. Not really my favorite style, but a very common request. Lets face it, I like making folks happy. I call these EZBB Ribs.

A slight slather of mustard/wooster, rub, extra pepper and garlic, indirect set-up, raised grate, 260° grate temp, cherry and apple woods, ribs in foil boat. :shock: After 1st hour, start basting with: apple cider vinegar, apple juice, olive oil and Tony C, every 30 minutes for 1-1/2 hours. Foil, meat down with some of the mop for 1 hour. Evaluate tenderness and if ready, return to grate to firm up. Add sauce or glaze if requested.

After one hour

DSC02440aa.jpg

Two hours into the cook

DSC02457aa.jpg

Just before foiling

DSC02458aa.jpg

Ready to eat

DSC02463AAA.jpg

I thought everybody foils their ribs. I do my BBs 2.5-1- 45 mins.

Since I heard of 3-2-1 I have never thought of doing ribs without Foil.

If you are happy with your ribs...don't fark with 'em.

I happen to use foil...it fits my cooking profile. I used to not use foil and they were fine...but I cook differently now.

Yesterday I cooked a couple of slabs...foiled them about 2 hours with peach nectar and honey...about two more hours and out they came...I don't usually worry about putting them back in...and no, they weren't competition standard...they were the way my wife prefers -- fall off the bone.

So, cook ribs (butt, brisket, chicken, etc.) the way YOU and your family like it...foil if you need to...don't foil if it offends your sense of propriety!!

I, for the most part, think spritzing is a waste of heat out of the cooker and generally I see 90% of the stuff go right into the bottom of guys pits who use it.

That said, if you mop on a thicker mixture of whatever with some sticky stuff(Misc Oils, Honey and etc mixtures)it helps out the exterior/crust of the ribs only. I've seen people run smokers spritzing and basting w/way too hot and get wet outside and dry inside ribs, seen same with too low a temp for too long a time with same results.

Like others have said, you've gotta learn your style and your particular smoker.

Personally I hate ribs. When I eat bbq I want to taste the meat gnawing on a bone is depressing. But a lot of people like ribs so I've developed my process.

If I have the time to monitor and manage I spritz with Apple cider and Burbon mist. If I don't have time to monitor I put a pan under them with apple juice, water, and a touch of burbon.

About 30 minutes before I'm going to take them off I put a glaze on them and let that set, mopping them every 5-10 minutes until they're done. Of course that works for 4 or 5 slabs but we'll see about 70 slabs.

No foil ever.

Back