MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
ZBucket
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Help with tender ribs

Still having a little trouble getting ribs to the correct tenderness. I've done all the basics and generally foil 1-1.5 hours. I've not tried letting them rest in foil in the cambro and thought I would seek opinions.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
jorrflv
Knows what a fatty is.

Can you describe for us how you are cooking them? What on? What temp? What type of ribs?
jorrflv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Two more questions..... Are you putting single racks in each foil pouch? And are you putting the meat side down?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
ZBucket
Knows what a fatty is.

Cooking Trigg style at 230-240. Wrap meat side down, single layer and cooking on a FEC 100. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
ZBucket
Knows what a fatty is.

Btw, St. Louis cut spares.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Just finished eating some PERFECT ribs which I cooked at 270 degrees using pitmaster t's technique (and boy am I glad I did!)

Watch pitmasters video a couple of time and try his method skipping the foil.

go to post #13 and watch pitmaster t's video. You can fast forward to the 7 minute mark and if you try this method and test your ribs with the skewer, your ribs will be perfecto http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=151000
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBucket View Post
Cooking Trigg style at 230-240. Wrap meat side down, single layer and cooking on a FEC 100. Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Btw, St. Louis cut spares.
I do my initial cook a little hotter, but when I wrap the temp is 250° so the braise/steam action is not too violent. My wrap time is 1 hour too, and I test with a toothpick.... so I can't help much other than to suggest longer wrap time. I think of a rib cook in 3 parts: the front end step, the tenderizing step, and the finish step.

PS when you said "all the basics" that means you are pulling the membrane, right?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
ZBucket
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes. Pull the membrane.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
jorrflv
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

PS when you said "all the basics" that means you are pulling the membrane, right?
Good call on the membrane.... Bottom line is cooking to the right temp. I have done ribs many different ways and they have come out tender. Make sure that you are able to do a good bend or toothpick test and you should be good to go.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #10
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm guessing your temp is too low. If I foiled for 1.5 hours I woulkd have mush.
I didnt know pulling the membrane had an effect on tenderness

Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
This what worked for me.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=151394

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
sandiegobbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
I'm guessing your temp is too low. If I foiled for 1.5 hours I woulkd have mush.
I didnt know pulling the membrane had an effect on tenderness
I honestly don't think pulling the membrane has an effect on tenderness.

Timing is everything.
sandiegobbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #13
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I also had the problem a few years ago and the only way I could get tender was to finnish on the grill. What I did was to add more brown sugar AFTER my rub and cook them longer, stange how the moisture came back into to them....foil does make it easier, however once you figure it out, foil is just an extra step...if I cook hi heat ,say 325* (I had a disaster and had to crash cook) I took a 2nd out of 110 teams...so I started playing with higher heat..and my finnishes also went up..but every smoker cooks different and just keep at it, let them cook longer...then glaze at 225* or so to tighten up...and membrane off will dry out a rib, but most of the time I remove..just keep trying ...even the practice ribs are real gooood!