MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Well... will draw the line at faux-que/Crock-Que/boiled ribs.

As long it involves an indirect fire.....
Yeah, but boiled ribs don't taste good...

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
WHY DO WE argue, fuss and worry so much about what process is used to cook something?

Discuss. :)
Because we can........(LOL)

We have all learned from different mentors / teachers a method in which works best for our individual tastes. By human nature we are certain that we have mastered the craft of cooking food to perfection in the manner that pleases us, our family, and our friends.

Just as our human spirit is competitive in sports, so are we with our craft of BBQ. After all we have competitions both on the local and national levels.

Like a religion we are convinced we know the only true way to BBQ and we try to convert others to our way because it is what works best in our own individual minds. Occasionally we will share the same ideals with another pitmaster and we take sides with each other, sometimes to debate against another.

Many fail to realize like "BBQ BANDIT" says that "it is the journey", and many roads will lead you to the journey at hand. We don't always recognize that not only are there different temperatures to cook at, but there are different cookers to cook in, different methods of cooking, different fuels to cook with, different cultures, and different regional tastes. All of these in some manner play a part in our final product.

Mixing all these together and you have many different combinations to arrive at what we can consider the best of the best. But in the end we really only have a tried and true opinion as the basis and foundation for our deeply entrenched beliefs.

For some of us it has been a long and sometimes difficult journey to get to where we are at. Because our journey has been long and sometimes difficult we have become passionate in the goal of perfection. Our experiences have become our belief in achieving the ultimate in BBQ.

We adhere to our beliefs because we are passionate about our beliefs in BBQ, but with an open mind and a willingness to try something different once in awhile we can expand our horizons.

We try to share our knowledge to make the journey easier for those who are new to the craft and wish to learn. But in the end we are all Brethren and we respect each others beliefs and methods and we all come together on our common grounds and put our difference aside. Then we look for another excuse to cook something else to share with each other. The bantering is just in good clean fun with each other.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 01-07-2013 at 06:52 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #18
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

a few questions:

1. should i cook my brisket at 275 or 280?

2. when doing chicken on my UDS i think i have the perfect cooking temp but i cant decide which way to have my smoker facing. should i have it face true north or magnetic north?

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
BobM
Babbling Farker

It's all good!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
a few questions:

1. should i cook my brisket at 275 or 280? Answer: YES

2. when doing chicken on my UDS i think i have the perfect cooking temp but i cant decide which way to have my smoker facing. should i have it face true north or magnetic north? Answer: As long as the axis of the barrel from top to bottom is relatively perpendicular to the ground it should work as designed.

Also, keep Crayons off the top of the UDS and everything else just happens according to the alignment of the relevant planets.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
gtr

I think people belittle other methods in hopes of compensating for having tiny junk.

That's why I do it anyway.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
a few questions:

1. should i cook my brisket at 275 or 280?

2. when doing chicken on my UDS i think i have the perfect cooking temp but i cant decide which way to have my smoker facing. should i have it face true north or magnetic north?

I cook mine at 263*. No more, no less. And smoker orientation depends on your latitude/longitude, and thereby, your angle of declination from true north. I prefer mine facing east, actually.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
landarc

I agree with IamAMadMan, it is because we can. We don't have to worry about getting along, we all have food, housing, clothes etc...most of you even get laid from time to time, so we fuss about how we cook our BBQ. It is all in fun.

If it ends up being good food, I am all in. If you cook all wood, no foil in an offset cooker low and slow and it tastes like carbon and meat dust, well, it didn't matter what you did, it didn't taste good.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

For the same reason there's two main camps of sauces in the Carolina's and the ones who make the OTHER sauce are loco. ;)

Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #25
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
If it ends up being good food, I am all in. If you cook all wood, no foil in an offset cooker low and slow and it tastes like carbon and meat dust, well, it didn't matter what you did, it didn't taste good.
I had a good laugh on this one, that is truly funny... Thanks for the laugh "Landarc"
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Like all these people on this forum "Oh you gotta cook the meat and potatoes, and no the gravy isn't just the bone marrow." I'm a PURIST BABY! All this wood and fire and washing vegetables... PFT!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #27
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
I prefer mine facing east, actually.
Well I hope you know that this is wrong. All drums or other smokers must face South...since that were BBQ started!

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I agree with IamAMadMan, it is because we can. We don't have to worry about getting along, we all have food, housing, clothes etc...most of you even get laid from time to time, so we fuss about how we cook our BBQ. It is all in fun.

Before I found this site, I thought carbon and meat dust were just two of the major food groups.

Thank you all.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #29
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ View Post
Well I hope you know that this is wrong. All drums or other smokers must face South...since that were BBQ started!

I didn't paint a face on mine so that must be my problem with brisket.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #30
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
I didn't paint a face on mine so that must be my problem with brisket.
No...your problem is that you are cooking brisket. Which is not really BBQ!