MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Budae Jijgae aka Army Stew

It's cold and raining outside. So it's time for some comfort food. This dish is known as Budae Jijgae or Army stew. It's Korean stew with origin during the Korean War and born out of necessity when people were living in extreme poverty and starving from the war. Food was extremely scarce for normal Koreans while the US Military had surplus of processed foods like SPAM, hot dogs, baked beans, etc. So people traded and smuggled the processed canned food out of the US military bases and made stew out of it. It's fusion stew of US military base ingredients and Korean food.

I put in can of low sodium SPAM, smoked beef sausage, Louisiana hot pork sausage, Bush's canned baked beans, onions, scallions, garlic, enoki mushrooms, tofu, kimchi, rice cakes, gochujang based chili sauce, Shin instant ramen and spice packet, and water and cooked it in electric hotpot. The ingredients sound strange and incompatible but all cooked together, it just works. It's spicy, sweet, and savory all in one. With warm bowl of steamed rice, it's the perfect stew to share at the table with family and friends when the outside weather is cold and wet.

ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

I would have to have me some of that.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

You are absolutely right - In and of themselves, the ingredients don't sound good at all. The photos really do call to me, and I can almost smell the stew from here.

Great stuff.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

The history lesson is awesome stuff, love that kind of story behind foods.

I’d eat a bowl for sure.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
You are absolutely right - In and of themselves, the ingredients don't sound good at all. The photos really do call to me, and I can almost smell the stew from here.

Great stuff.
Thanks! Did you eat it when you visited Korea? I remember trying this stew for the first time when I visited Korea. My mind was blown.

Here's Anthony Bourdain cooking the dish for Anderson Cooper.
https://youtu.be/Q1IIUZIjoNk

Old 10-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Never heard of it, never had it. But It looks good and I am sure it tastes super flavorful! Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulc View Post
Did you eat it when you visited Korea?
I sure wish I had. I didn't learn of it until very late in our time in the Pacific.

I absolutely love the Bourdain & Cooper clip!
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

New to me too, but it looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for posting!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 03:00 AM   #9
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Sounds strange to me, but I would have a go at a bowl.

Old 10-14-2019, 04:45 AM   #10
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Looks tasty and perfect for a cold, rainy day.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

Very interesting looking dish, and I also loved the story behind it. Out of necessity comes some good stuff.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #12
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
The history lesson is awesome stuff, love that kind of story behind foods.

I’d eat a bowl for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbrad62 View Post
Very interesting looking dish, and I also loved the story behind it. Out of necessity comes some good stuff.
I'm Korean American but grew up in the US so I didn't know about this dish or its history. I learned and tasted this dish for the first time during my first return trip to South Korea. I was skeptical when I first saw it but it quickly became one of my favorites. I also loved the history behind this dish. South Korea is no longer poor and starving but both the younger and older generations all love Bade Jjigae. The older folks who grew up during and after the war all remember the hard times and reflect while eating it and the younger generation just love the taste of the hodge podge processed food ingredients. It has the same guilty pleasure as eating your favorite junk food and is strangely addicting.

It's popular in college dorms because kids usually have most ingredients like Spam, sausages, instant ramen, and kimchi on hand. So it's easy for them to make. Kids already doctor up instant ramen. This is just taking it to the next level.

Another favorite thing to do with this stew when eating it is to make fried rice with the small leftover stew at the end of the meal. People will add bowl of rice to the pan at the end with some additional kimchi, shredded roasted seaweed, and little bit of sesame oil and mix it together in medium heat. This makes awesome kimchi fried rice and ends the meal on a great note with no leftovers and everyone super full.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
TxQGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Big C

Looks really good! Thanks for providing background on it too, I always love the story behind how certain foods came to be. I love me some Korean grub...bibimbap and galbi are my jam! Then there is that one thing that I love but never remember to ask what it is called...I suspect it is a fishcake but not 100%.
#22 Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill - "Long Tall Sally"[/B]

Red Oak is still Oak :cool:
TxQGuy is offline   Reply With Quote