Advise... Santa Maria Rotisserie conversion

tom b

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get the boards input and advise on ringing up a roti on my SM grill. I was thinking about the roti dwfisk put on that grill a little while back.
I think I like the onegrill but not sure what size would be best to fit my grill and what motor would be best also. I'm also open to other ideas. Oh and octoforks what do I need to do for these?
The cook grate is 33 wide. Her are a couple of pictures

This is how I made them for TropicDad, simple but they work great
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3601561&postcount=52
It looks like you need the 37" spit rod. Just let me know, be happy to set you up with a set of brackets.

PS, if you don't have power nearby I've been real happy with the OneGrill DC motor.
PS#2, we sized TropicDad's brackets to use Keith's Octoforks

Last edited:
So you made brackets Dave. It looks like it comes with some.

It doesn't need to be fancy. I use a extender made from a trashed road sign, a motor, spit, and attachments that I inherited from my Dad.
rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg

It doesn't seal, so it is basically always a high heat cook.

It doesn't need to be fancy. I use a extender made from a trashed road sign, a motor, spit, and attachments that I inherited from my Dad.
rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg

It doesn't seal, so it is basically always a high heat cook.

that rig is cool

I talked with Kieth he steered my to the 5/16 47 inch kit I was thinking 37 like Dave said but I remeasured and the longer spit will all the counter balance to clear the outside of the grill body for more vertical range.

So I order the 47 kit and a 47 1/2 spit for later when I get his new toys or bigger meat.

If your cooking grate comes out of the frame i would just use the brackets it comes with and mount them to the side of the L framing. If it doesn't i would make something up like Dave mentioned. I also think it would be bad ass if you had dual rotis. One on either side

This is how I made them for TropicDad, simple but they work great
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3601561&postcount=52
It looks like you need the 37" spit rod. Just let me know, be happy to set you up with a set of brackets.

PS, if you don't have power nearby I've been real happy with the OneGrill DC motor.
PS#2, we sized TropicDad's brackets to use Keith's Octoforks

So you made brackets Dave. It looks like it comes with some.
Yep, if you look at the photos in the link the chrome brackets are what come with the kit, the black "L" brackets I made are bolted to the cooking grate and then the brackets in the kit are bolted to them to raise the rotisserie 6"-8" above the cooking grate.

Last edited:
I talked with Kieth he steered my to the 5/16 47 inch kit I was thinking 37 like Dave said but I remeasured and the longer spit will all the counter balance to clear the outside of the grill body for more vertical range.

So I order the 47 kit and a 47 1/2 spit for later when I get his new toys or bigger meat.

Yea even the 18.5 CB had a special size spit made for their kit which with the handle is 28"

Definitely when you consider the extra to go to the motor and plenty for the plastic handle to extend on the other side an additional 10" is comfortable. Since your pit is 34" and your rod is 45" you'll be golden.

If your cooking grate comes out of the frame i would just use the brackets it comes with and mount them to the side of the L framing. If it doesn't i would make something up like Dave mentioned. I also think it would be bad ass if you had dual rotis. One on either side

this is my plan right now, but if I find a reason I'll rig up one like Dave did.

Great info on this thread and good luck Tom! Dave is a great help every time and gives great pointers on which route to go. I haven't got around to it but I want to install one on my SM grill also. Initially I wanted to do it in my stick burner oven but the SM is more practical. I'll be watching this thread. :thumb:

This is the one I've got from SB BBQ Outfitters.

upload_-1

nice grill Sako

my equipment came today hoping to get some thing going this weekend, I think I'm gonna use some angles like Dave did to mount it to the grill frame

I didn't see you mention the dual roti thing before but ya that might be a thing to do

I got to thinking about various roti / cook grate setups. Any that at least I've seen have the roti above the grate cook when that should be opposite if it can IMO.

I know with the 007 that the roti closer to the hot fire can handle the heat with the spinning action so it definitely makes sense to put the roti first especially when you have a lid to capture the heat for the cook grate.

mounting to the frame seams easiest for a test run, I have other options for cooking at other levels if desired

I rigged up a couple brackets and screwed the one grill brackets and the same from the bracket to the grill frame

so for the test run, put on a chicky and a TT

:-D

chicken flying solo

bout done

I'm gonna have some fun with this thing, can't wait for OCTOFORKS!

Back