MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Nelskin
Found some matches.

Default Ugly Drum Smoker - Food Grade Liner

Just got a free barrel that held pear juice and it has a liner. Do I need to burn/sand that out or can I just season over it?

Thanks,

Jes
Nelskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Doog
is One Chatty Farker

I would burn it out or sandblast it.
Doog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

^^^^^^
Ditto

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

I would remove it.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Burn baby burn!

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Displaced Texan
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Remove it. It will not hold a seasoning and has the chance to burn and off-gas while cooking.
Displaced Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Chronos

Default How many BTUs on a weed burner needed to burn out the liner?

So, if using a weed burner is the best method (except sandblasting - which isn't easy) what is the BTU output needed?

I can get a weedburner for $50 - $60 but I have no idea where to get sandblasting done.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
DMP
Knows what a fatty is.

Burned one last weekend. After burning I scrubbed it down with ajax. Liner came right out.
DMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Displaced Texan

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
So, if using a weed burner is the best method (except sandblasting - which isn't easy) what is the BTU output needed?

I can get a weedburner for $50 - $60 but I have no idea where to get sandblasting done.
I've never used a weed burner for this... just load it up with scrap wood (fill it full) and light'er up.
Displaced Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
Randy3269
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Texan View Post
I've never used a weed burner for this... just load it up with scrap wood (fill it full) and light'er up.
Be sure and drill your vent holes first.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

Check with metal shops or cemetery monument companies. I have gotten prices of $20-$25 to sandblast just the interior of a drum.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I'm thinking these guys are taking the weed burner directly to the interior of the drum, not making a fire. Maybe I'm wrong.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

I know nothing of drums and burning liners, but here's a weed burner for $30:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
DMP
Knows what a fatty is.

I used wood to burn out mine.
DMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

I am currently building an Ugly Drum Smoker and I made the mistake of getting one with a red liner. I should have known better since I researched this forum and found numerous warnings against drums with liners in it. In my defence, I thought the liner was a rubber coating or something similar (i thought mine was paint, yes iam this dense.) Harbor freight sells a $20 weed burner what worked well to burn out/loosen most of the liner. I recommend burning liner out that stuff smells awful when heat it applied (and the smoke it produces ain't no thin blue). The reputation of the red liner is well deserved i still have to grind out the liner (im about 1/3 of the way through). Not looking forward to climbing inside and grinding out the rest
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uds, uds build, ugly drum smoker