MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Brisket dry run...

Pits loaded up since 730 this morning... put in the last Kobe brisket.. trying a diferent rub mixture and gonna do the fat cap down I been reading about... Todays a day of cookin and experimenting and practicing..

Picked up 32 of fatties in Baltimore at a supermarket that looked like fattie heaven... got 5 different brands...

And just for Bill.. i put in 5 fatties too.. a bob evans, a tennessee pride, a jamestown brand and 2 JD's.

figure 3 will have to be sacraficed and the other 2(maybe 1) just might make it all the way thru a 3-2-1.

Tried that last week 1 made it to 2-eat, the second made it to 3-.5-eat.

figure.. put in 5 and 1 or 2 are bound to make it to the cooler... maybe.

Think around 11, a pack of wings are goin in too... bad thing to start cookin at 730am when your hungry..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I found a secret for reaching the end of the fatty 3-2-1, have a rack of BB's ready when it's time to cooler the fatties. Did this yesterday and I only had 1 test slice of fatty.
This morning I completed testing of "fatty 3-2-1+". Did my fatties yesterday 3-2-1 and put 'em in the fridge still wrapped up. Put grands biscuits in the oven this morning and sliced off some JD hot for me and some maple for the mrs. While the biscuits were baking I put the slices in a skillet and got them nice and crusty the way mom used to fry up sausage. Awesome on a biscuit with a fresh tomato slice!

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
BBQchef33

Quote:
While the biscuits were baking I put the slices in a skillet and got them nice and crusty the way mom used to fry up sausage. Awesome on a biscuit with a fresh tomato slice!
Dear KC,

Bite me.

You just caused the sacrafice of Fatty #1. Garden is loaded with Fresh tomatoes. Fatties have been in the foil for about 45 minutes....

here we go.. #1 on its way down

Not that thats a bad thing. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 07-31-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

5 bucks says not one fatty will make it to the fridge today! LOL

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Dear KC,

Bite me.
Not even with Brian's teeth!

Hope you thought the tomato and fatty was as good as I did.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh

Old 07-31-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Jorge

Score 1 for the MOFO.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
badger
Bash lurker

Any donations for a new cause?

S.A.F.F.

Save A Fatty Foundation.
NB Bandera - modded.
Unknown Offset Horizontal- Looking for my babies daddy!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2004, 10:50 PM   #8
BBQchef33

Forget it.

its hopeless.

i will never get to the "-1" on a fattie. :?

1st was sacraficed at 3 -.45
2 more died in about a minute at the 3 - 1.5 mark..me, a hungry buddy and a couple cold coronas. dont know why we even bothered slicing them. may as well just stick a skewer and bite from the top down like a corn dog.
4th was sacraficed shortly after by the wives when they saw us eating ours..
5th one was the 2 pounder. That made it for about 2 hours in foil.. but never made it bak into the chamber after unwrapping.. That beaswt was awesome but vaporized by me and 8 girls and my daughters birtday party.

one thing for sure.. the 2 lb fjimmy dean fatty is a total nother animal from the one lbr. cooks completely diffferent.. Greg and bill both comment on the lack of smoke ring on the 1lber. The smoke ring on ALL of these fatties were 1/4.-3/8 inch.. the 2 lbers ring was huge.. loaded with juice. big difference from the 1 lb JD and Parks that i usually get.

if anyone ever sees a "jamestown" brand fatty.. pass it up.. was mush when i put it in the chamber.. looked like it was gonna fall tween the expanded steel.. wont do that one again.. tasted like mush too.

Now.. the brisket.. thats another thing.. did it fat cap down this time.. 8 hours cap down, 2 hours cap up... 2 hours in foil, removed at 185 and coolered for about 2-3 hours. sliced it up about a hour ago... flooded itself in juice in the foil.. nose and point was almost spreadable.. like tub margarine.. Flat was awesome, much more juicy than usual.. ..... definately better this way... fat cap down is the way im going from now on..

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 07-31-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
Jorge

Thanks Phil. It's 11:15 and you done flung a craving on me! What time does the ferry stop running, because I want a shot at your freezer! Drool Mod.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2004, 11:12 PM   #10
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Flat was awesome, much more juicy than usual..
Sounds like you need to change the topic of this thread to "Brisket Moist Run"

Phil, is the flavor of the kobe brisket worth the price. My question is backyard oriented not competition. Wouldn't spend the money everytime but special occasions I can see going premium for my favorite Q.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:23 PM   #11
BBQchef33

Flavor dont seem much different.. Texture, juciness, tenderness is a hugh difference. Also, they cook much faster. Your suppose to fork test these at 180... and dont let them climb much further. This one jumped from 176-185 REAL QUICK.. I was afraid it was going to climb to high if i wrapped it right away.., so i pulled it from the heat and let it settle for a few minutes before wrapping it. Then i wrapped it and let it sit outside the cooler for about 15 minutes. ultimatle climbed to about 186-188 and sat there for a while before stating to drop.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 07-31-2004, 11:52 PM   #12
Solidkick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
5 bucks says not one fatty will make it to the fridge today! LOL
Quote:
BBQChef33
says......

Quote:
Forget it.

its hopeless.

i will never get to the "-1" on a fattie.

1st was sacraficed at 3 -.45
2 more died in about a minute at the 3 - 1.5 mark..me, a hungry buddy and a couple cold coronas. dont know why we even bothered slicing them. may as well just stick a skewer and bite from the top down like a corn dog.
4th was sacraficed shortly after by the wives when they saw us eating ours..
5th one was the 2 pounder. That made it for about 2 hours in foil.. but never made it bak into the chamber after unwrapping.. That beaswt was awesome but vaporized by me and 8 girls and my daughters birtday party.
Ummmmm.........your credit is good..............

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
BBQchef33

ummm WAIT.. Somethig was discovered last night while closing down..

i seem to have FORGOTTEN that after the 2 lb log was inhaled, i thru 2 more in figuring i still had a few hours on the brisket.. those 2 made it into foil, and then sat in the vertical chamber for a few hours while the brisket finished... then cooled down in the vertical at the end of the night.. Discovered them at about 130am when shutting down.. and yup first thought i had was

2 fatties for the fridge...... solidkick owes me a 5.

but we have to split it.. the yard fridge had a tray of wings and a sliced brisket in it... so i had to make room. Kneeled down infront of the fridge to organize.. put the fatties nest to me on the deck and removed some stuff form the fridge to put back neatly... when i reached for the fatties... :? there was only one :? Looked behind me, and Buster(the pooch) was plowing into the foil.. and chomping on the fattie.. The Primal scream and linebacker tackle made him release it and run away..
then the wrath of insanity set in as I picked up my mutilated fattie and hurled it at him at mach 2.. followed by a lawn chair. Buster spent the night in the doghouse... Newport(other pooch) got to eat the fattie(in lots of little pieces scatered around the deck) as buster watched.

So.. only one made it to the fridge.... thats 2.50 eachs.. i call it a wash.

P.S.. Im still pisssed at Buster, but thad the other fattie for breakfast. :)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 08-01-2004, 11:15 AM   #14
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
5th one was the 2 pounder. That made it for about 2 hours in foil.. but never made it bak into the chamber after unwrapping..

You doofus. The "1" is not unwrapped and in the chamber again, the "1" is an hour in the cooler.

Read the directions Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33

one thing for sure.. the 2 lb fjimmy dean fatty is a total nother animal from the one lbr. cooks completely diffferent.. Greg and bill both comment on the lack of smoke ring on the 1lber. The smoke ring on ALL of these fatties were 1/4.-3/8 inch.. the 2 lbers ring was huge.. loaded with juice. big difference from the 1 lb JD and Parks that i usually get.
I always get a good smoke ring when I smoke them, its when it only has 1.5 hours on the kettle that the smoke doesn't penetrate as much due to higher temps.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #15
BBQchef33

yeah yeah.. i know.. i mistyped....

fast fingers, slow brain mod.. But the second batched coolered in the vertical...

anyyway.... BRISKET FOR BREAKFAST!!!! OMG... 11 lb brishket is near gone.. we sampled last night and sharon woke saying... "You cookin?.... Cause I want that brisket... "

Holy Sheet.. Reheated them things this morning and they be friggin incredible.. sharon is nt usually a big brisket fan.,. but either IM gettin better. or those Kobes just help cross the line...

I'll be callin austix TX in the morning to get 3 more of them briskets delivered.. 2 for the competition.. one for the backyard.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM