Mystery Meat

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
It's beef. That's all I know. The cut is unknown. Do you know what it is? It is about 20" long, 2 1/2" thick, and about 5 1/2" wide. The grain is uniform along the length, and has a shallow(1/2") fat cap. What the fark is it, and how do I cook it?

Attachments

• 100_3324.jpg
    100_3324.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 165
It's beef. That's all I know. The cut is unknown. Do you know what it is? It is about 20" long, 2 1/2" thick, and about 5 1/2" wide. The grain is uniform along the length, and has a shallow(1/2") fat cap. What the fark is it, and how do I cook it?
My Guess is a Hanger(Hangar?) steak

Great Piece of meat
If it is a hanger you will need to get to the sinew that runs lengthwise in it

Leave it as large as possible, the way I cook it is very high heat, medium rare. Then Slice it into medallions

short marinade is good too

looks like a tenderloin to me......but I just eats em...i dont name em

A few of those cookies pictured in the corner might help my thought process :wink:
Just grilled a flat iron for dinner but that looks way to small.

i guess tenderloin, but i'm no expert.

how much per pound was it? or did you find it laying in the road? :biggrin:

i guess tenderloin, but i'm no expert.

how much per pound was it? or did you find it laying in the road? :biggrin:
It was given to me by my wife's cousin. He works at the Tyson nearby, and asked me to Q it tomorrow. I just didn't want to end up cooking it like a brisket if I could cook it like a better cut.

It'd be a lot easier to tell if it was out of the cry o vac.

It was given to me by my wife's cousin. He works at the Tyson nearby, and asked me to Q it tomorrow. I just didn't want to end up cooking it like a brisket if I could cook it like a better cut.

Probably not a hanger then.

Here's what I'd try . . . take it or leave it . . .

I'd divide it in two, grill the thinner end like a tenderloin and smoke the thicker end like a chuck roast. That way you cover all your bases and get the best of both worlds.

Huh?

Otherwise, I agree with trp1fox

Roll it, tie it season and smoke. Add bacon if fat content is low.

Looks like the butt end of a tenderloin.

That looks like a tenderloin love them things Wish someone would drop one off for me. To be sure I will need to know what time dinner is tomorrow so I can sample it.

Tenderloin.

To be sure, give it a pinch test. Go about one third up from the small end, put your fingers under the meat, your thumb on top and give it a good squeeze. If it feels like you can almost touch your finger and thumb, it is definitely a tender cut [tenderloin]. If you get some serious resistance to the pinch, then maybe it is something else, but it sure looks like a cyro-pak tenderloin.

Tenderloin.

To be sure, give it a pinch test. Go about one third up from the small end, put your fingers under the meat, your thumb on top and give it a good squeeze. If it feels like you can almost touch your finger and thumb, it is definitely a tender cut [tenderloin]. If you get some serious resistance to the pinch, then maybe it is something else, but it sure looks like a cyro-pak tenderloin.
Yep, it must be a tenderloin, as the pich test reveals. Ways to cook?

Me, my preference would be to hot roast the whole thing to no more that medium rare. Or slice it into steaks and grill over hard wood coals to rare-medium rare.

Back