MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Bajachief
Found some matches.

Default First time Brisket

Cooked a brisket flat from Costco on my new Traeger. Cooked at 225-250 for 6.5 hours until internal was 190. (setting was 225 but seemed to show higher temps 240 - 250) then into cooler wrapped in foil for 1.5 hours.
No picture but the result was tender with nice smoke ring, but seemed to be very salty.
I had rubbed in Traeger Beef rub almost 24 hours before smoker. Did I put rub on too early? I did not wrap meat in foil at all during cook process.
Thanks
Chris
Bajachief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
skeetman
Knows what a fatty is.

I had cooked my first brisket also on Sunday. A lot of the rubs we buy have a lot of salt in them, 24 hours with the rub maybe to long also.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome to the Brethren!

Sorry, I can't help you - pictures would help to judge if the amount of rub used was the problem. I haven't used that rub before, so I don't know if doing so early would cause the over-saltiness.

Next time, please take some pix - because the rule 'round here is, "No pictures...didn't happen."

I'm sure others will chime in with more knowledgeable advice...

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
bbqfans
Full Fledged Farker

Default Bajachief........................;]-

Are you sure you didn't grab a Corned Flat instead of a reg. one?Rubs shouldn't have that much salt in them

Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

^^^ yep what that guy said. So go buy another one take pictures and send to me for a taste test! lol Congrats on the smoking! Sounded great.

JA
BlkJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
MJ-Q
Found some matches.

I have smoked a " corned flat " ...Believe me I know the difference now. ( @#$%& )
I have also had issues with rubs, too much, used sea salt once , too salty, I even brined a brisket, not recommended either. It will be interesting to hear the feedback from your question. I need to know if that is too long also. It sounds like a mistake that I could make. I just put the rub on right before going to the smoker. I bought a couple of rubs that were way too salty.