MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Researching a custom pit/trailer builder

I've been researching having a custom trailer with a reverse flow unit and a grill with storage, sinks etc. My research started with Pitmaker, since I own Vault already and the quality is just the best. But I recently cooked on a reverse flow unit and I really like it. I want a very high capacity unit on a trailer that I can use to start doing some catering and eventually as a starter to a BBQ joint. I really love the Shirley Fabrication designs with the warmer and all, and will probably even place an order but 32 months is a long time to wait. I'm also looking at used Shirleys possibly to hold me off until then.
There are alot of pit builders out there and was wondering if anyone knows a builder that can make a high quality trailer preferably in the Northeast since delivery or pick up becomes a $ issue. This is for a commercial venture and competitions etc.
raycollazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

There's not a ton of pitbuilders in the NorthEast, and the ones I have seen up there are quite expensive (Meadow Creek). Shirley makes a great product but that wait can certainly be a problem. Johnson Smokers, out of Texas, makes some kick ass reverse flow smokers with a much more reasonable build time.

When I was designing my BBQ food trailer I was very close to going with their 36" T-Pit, but my funding was quite a bit less than I had hoped, so I ended up going with a different builder simply for cost reasons.

https://johnsonsmokers.com/36-t-pit/

Johnson has a bunch of "cookie cutter" examples on the website, but every smoker is customizeable. The owner, Chad Johnson, is a super nice guy and easy to talk to. I bought an "Ultimate Chargrill Trailer" from him when I first got into catering / vending, and it's the best smoker I've ever used. It worked well for the first couple of months but I started getting a lot more business, so I needed more capacity. The T-Pit was choice for an upgrade, but I just couldn't come up with the money at the time.

Good luck with whatever you choose. The shipping cost from Texas will run you a decent bit, but if it's a cheaper pit than something up north you will probably still save some money.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=SmoothBoarBBQ;4238016]There's not a ton of pitbuilders in the NorthEast, and the ones I have seen up there are quite expensive (Meadow Creek). Shirley makes a great product but that wait can certainly be a problem. Johnson Smokers, out of Texas, makes some kick ass reverse flow smokers with a much more reasonable build time.

Thanks Smooth, Ironically, the reverse flow that I cooked on was a Meadow Creek. I have one of their chicken cookers and they are absolutely great, best chicken every time... but I'm not impressed with their build quality, and they tend to rust quick. And of course, they are very expensive for what you get. I've seen a few Shirleys recently for sale, but most are too small for what I need. I have to give it to them though, they are built well. I wish they could just scale their operation to cut them wait times to months instead of years. Pitmaker is definitely a high quality option too, and they are 6-8 weeks out. I'm just really sold on the versatility and design of Shirley cookers with the Warmer box, it's 2 separate cookers in one firebox. I will hold out and maybe one of the big Shirley trailers will come up for sale, I am giving myself until the Spring.
I will also check out Johnson and see what they have to offer...thanks again for the reply.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Check local codes. They might require a NSF certified cooker. You don't want to buy twice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

I would get a larger insulated cabinet. Being in the North East that stick burner is going to take alot of effort and time. If you have the ambition go for it but your going to work.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Check local codes. They might require a NSF certified cooker. You don't want to buy twice.
I've never heard of this requirement, and I'm not sure if any pit builders would even have this designation. I know there is a local BBQ place in town that uses Pitmaker Vaults, and I doubt they would have that designation. I guess it does make sense, probably the big commercial names like Ole Hickory or Southern Pride etc would have it.... I will have to ask though, good lookin out, thanks.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

LSG IVS pits come with NSF certified grates.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 03:19 AM   #8
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Ive been looking at LSG alot too, been sweatin that Santa Maria they have a pretty good deal on one.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #9
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Myron Mixon does UL certified smokers as well. That UL / NSF requirement is certainly something you will need to verify before buying a smoker. You'll want to check with Environmental Health in your area, and make sure whatever answer they give is actually written down in the Food Code for your local area. I had a nightmare of a time getting up and running due to Environmental Health in my area being an absolute PITA...each time I spoke to them I got different answers.

An insulated cabinet smoker is also a solid piece of equipment that might help you out in the long run. After a few years running my stick burner I finally broke down and realized that I needed more sleep. I bought Spicewine Ironworks (Large model) and that smoker is pretty amazing. I'm still getting a great smoke flavor from the wood and the charcoal, and I cook straight through rain / serious windstorms with almost zero temperature deviation.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycollazo View Post
I've never heard of this requirement, and I'm not sure if any pit builders would even have this designation. I know there is a local BBQ place in town that uses Pitmaker Vaults, and I doubt they would have that designation. I guess it does make sense, probably the big commercial names like Ole Hickory or Southern Pride etc would have it.... I will have to ask though, good lookin out, thanks.
The full length stainless table on my Shirley has kept the health department happy here, I can't use Lang's anymore with expanded mesh steel tables as they want stainless under every door opening where pans or prep can take place including the warmer cabinet.

Shirley fab can rotate the warmer to face forward and build a continuous length shelf that runs end to end, one of those things you can't live without cooking commercially until you have used it and discover how nice it is to handle scalding hot pans fresh out of the main chamber.

Pretty handy to be able to set them down, close the doors and let them cool off then slide them down the shelf and into the warmer without having to handle them to much.

An insulted firebox is also a must have, the cooker's run like they are on cruise control once up to temperature and they sip firewood plus they don't burn the paint off and rust makes it easy to keep appearances clean and neat and that matters in most commercial operations.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #11
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
The full length stainless table on my Shirley has kept the health department happy here, I can't use Lang's anymore with expanded mesh steel tables as they want stainless under every door opening where pans or prep can take place including the warmer cabinet.

Shirley fab can rotate the warmer to face forward and build a continuous length shelf that runs end to end, one of those things you can't live without cooking commercially until you have used it and discover how nice it is to handle scalding hot pans fresh out of the main chamber.

Pretty handy to be able to set them down, close the doors and let them cool off then slide them down the shelf and into the warmer without having to handle them to much.

An insulted firebox is also a must have, the cooker's run like they are on cruise control once up to temperature and they sip firewood plus they don't burn the paint off and rust makes it easy to keep appearances clean and neat and that matters in most commercial operations.
That's why I really do like the Shirley's the design where you can go right from the CC to a Warmer in a single operation and in essence having one Long cooking area. I'm hopeful I will find the right one (70" or better Straightback or a full blown trailer)...

Old 10-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
Randy3269
is one Smokin' Farker

Here's a 30 x 70 straight back SF

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=276180

Garage kept and well cared for.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #13
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote: