Question about pellet smokers?

ahhobbs

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello all I am new to this forum but have been smoking for a while now. My question is about the taste of food from a pellet smoke. I am considering buying a yoder ys640 and have never ate anything cooked or smoked on a pellet grill before. Is there a distinct flavor or weird flavor that is only found in them? I have read great reviews about them and they obviously work ok or people wouldn't use them in competition. I have read that they don't give to much smoke flavor which is great for us.
Thanks,
Andy

Just as you said, it'll be a milder taste of smoke flavor. The Yoder, in my opinion, will give you the best smoke flavor of all the pellet cookers.

I have a Yoder 640 and it produces a good smoke ring and a good amount of smoke taste
The actual fire is designed to burn real clean so you will not see a large amount of smoke coming out but it does a great job

I have had three pellet cookers. I currently have one pellet, one stick, and one Charcoal. If you run them clean, they all put out similar food. You have much more control over your smoke with wood or even Charcoal. I love my pellet cooker, especially for its versatility. I would give the edge on flavor to the stick burner, but honestly I don't think it's quite the cavernous difference that many claim.

If you like it simple as far as fire management and like to have some ability to go low or high in a matter of minutes, pellets are a great option. They are especially great for weeknight cooking. Flip the switch, and cook.

yoder YS480 here. love it. smoke level is fine with great smoke ring. simple to use. you won't be disappointed!

My pellet grill is not in this league but I love it, so I'm not, but if I was going to upgrade that would be the one

Thanks everyone this helps a lot with making my decision. I had a electric smoker in the past and didn't like the flavor that it produced. I have a big green egg now and love it but don't like the size of the cooking area. I like the idea of a stick burner but have 2 small kids and don't have the time to watch the fire. Thanks again everyone.

You also have the option of running it at 150° for an hour or two before bumping up the temp. You still have TBS at 150° and you get a deeper smoke flavor on whatever you are cooking/smoking/grilling on the 640.

Back