Rib Tips, Posole, and (Texas) Twinkies... Oh, My! - w/Pron

Purple Batman is da bomb!
Food looks great. What did you think about the Sweet Rub 'O Mine? I have used it multiple times on pork butts and haven't been really impressed with flavor. It has come off as kind of bland. Wanted to see what your thoughts were.

What did you think about the Sweet Rub 'O Mine? I have used it multiple times on pork butts and haven't been really impressed with flavor. It has come off as kind of bland. Wanted to see what your thoughts were.

I honestly only keep it around to use on ABTs or other such bacon-wrapped pepper-type things. CINCHOUSE likes the sweetness that plays with the smokey bacon and spicy pepper. I don't think it has enough "umph" by itself to handle a butt.

Everything looks great, but those greens and fritters are standouts for sure.

Thanks! It's interesting to me how sometimes the things I get the most excited about are the sides... Momma really knocked it out of the park on both of these!

It all looks fantastic, Shadow! Those okra cakes are calling my name. :-D

I really need details on the okra fritters.

Here's what CINCHOUSE kicked me.

Ingredients

2 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed and coarsely chopped
1/2 small yellow onion, diced small (1/2 cup)
1 large egg
1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions

- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil over medium. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add okra and onion and toss to coat. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk. Add to okra mixture and stir just until combined.
- In two batches, drop batter in 2-tablespoonful mounds into oil. With a small spatula or butter knife, gently flatten each mound and fry until golden, about 4 minutes per side, flipping once (adjust heat if browning too quickly). Drain on paper towels. Season with salt and serve warm. Makes about 10.

Love your posts, Marc, and this one is no exception - all of it looks fantastic, and that okra fritter deal sounds great!

Here's what CINCHOUSE kicked me.

Ingredients

2 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed and coarsely chopped
1/2 small yellow onion, diced small (1/2 cup)
1 large egg
1/4 cup buttermilk

Directions

- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil over medium. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add okra and onion and toss to coat. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk. Add to okra mixture and stir just until combined.
- In two batches, drop batter in 2-tablespoonful mounds into oil. With a small spatula or butter knife, gently flatten each mound and fry until golden, about 4 minutes per side, flipping once (adjust heat if browning too quickly). Drain on paper towels. Season with salt and serve warm. Makes about 10.

Thanks. Fresh okra season is past us. Will surely try this when I have more okra.

Right on the excellence mark, Marc.......as is your standard here. :-D

If I suddenly become a mega-rich celebrity, can I hire you as a personal chef? :-D :mrgreen:

I'll promise great wages and packages. :razz:

Back