MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #211
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats on the new cooker Rib Rub, when do we get treated with some pron?

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #212
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

Lumberjack, lumberjack, lumberjack. 100% hickory.
The only pellets you need to get.

AWESOME
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #213
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Default The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

I’ve used hundred of lbs of bbq delight, maybe 160lbs of cookinpellets, and over 1000lbs of lumberjack. Lumberjack hickory puts out s good bit more smoke flavor than anything else I have tried. Also like their 100% cherry and their MHC. They DO produce more ash than others for sure

Have used a few bags of pit boss and traegar...hardly any smoke flavor to me

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #214
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I’ve used hundred of lbs of bbq delight, maybe 160lbs of cookinpellets, and over 1000lbs of lumberjack. Lumberjack hickory puts out s good bit more smoke flavor than anything else I have tried. Also like their 100% cherry and their MHC. They DO produce more ash than others for sure

Have used a few bags of pit boss and traegar...hardly any smoke flavor to me

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just purchased my first 3 bags of Lumber Jack, MHC, 100% Hickory and 100% Cherry, I guess I did well. Plan on also doing a little mixing of the Hickory and Cherry.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #215
tom b

Good choices Kevin, when we gonna see some pron?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #216
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Good choices Kevin, when we gonna see some pron?
Will be here tomorrow and plan on putting it together but I have Sirloin Kababs on the WGA planned for tomorrow and the MRS will most likely want to dine out on Friday. So it will be Saturday, thinking Duroc St. Louis Spares, the Hunsaker is going to be pissed.
WGA

Last edited by KevinJ; 06-13-2018 at 10:37 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #217
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

We just purchased our ys640 today, so pellets have been discussed quite a bit. My wife likes that Lumberjack uses virgin wood for pellets. She then started looking for online suppliers with free shipping in Canada.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #218
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Congratulations, you are going to love it! You might check here: https://bbqpelletsonline.com/index.php They have a couple of terminal pickup locations in Canada, so they probably deliver there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokePigTails View Post
We just purchased our ys640 today, so pellets have been discussed quite a bit. My wife likes that Lumberjack uses virgin wood for pellets. She then started looking for online suppliers with free shipping in Canada.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 AM   #219
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey, one of those terminals is only an hour away in London. Not much great BBQ there right now but a big Latin american community with restaurants to match.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #220
razorbrewer
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Anyone here bought a universal cover for a MAK 2 Star (not the MAK brand cover). If so, what did you buy and are you happy with it?

ETA: Nevermind, found what I was looking for thru search
For Sale: J.R. Enterprises Charcoal Grill

Last edited by razorbrewer; 06-14-2018 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: searched
razorbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #221
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbrewer View Post
Anyone here bought a universal cover for a MAK 2 Star (not the MAK brand cover). If so, what did you buy and are you happy with it?
Classic Accessories on Amazon, they're good covers for a reasonable price.
WGA

Old 06-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #222
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
Doing a Brisket this weekend on it, nervous about that as I paid $60 bucks for the Brisket so going to be a costly major fail if I blow it LOL. But that is why I bought this grill, so I am pretty confident it will turn out.
IMHO you should read the manual on programming the controller. When I smoke butts, I program it to stay in “smoke” mode for 4-5 hours (that’s low temp, ~180, to maximize smoke from the pellets), then move to 225 or 250 until the IT meat temp hits the temp I want (for me, that’s 203), then drop to 200 and continue until I turn it off.

I then put the meat on cold from the frig and wet from the binder I used for the rub, both of which help the meat pick up more smoke. Put her on at 11 pm or so, make sure the hopper is filled with pellets (and I particularly pile them higher in the center, to counteract the tunneling effect). Then it will cook and shift temp’s all night while you sleep.

Also, I never wrap my briskets, so that helps with smokiness and bark formation in the pellet smoker. But if you prefer to wrap, go for it, you’ll just have to get up and go out there at some point.
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #223
Mcc1972
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
IMHO you should read the manual on programming the controller. When I smoke butts, I program it to stay in “smoke” mode for 4-5 hours (that’s low temp, ~180, to maximize smoke from the pellets), then move to 225 or 250 until the IT meat temp hits the temp I want (for me, that’s 203), then drop to 200 and continue until I turn it off.

I then put the meat on cold from the frig and wet from the binder I used for the rub, both of which help the meat pick up more smoke. Put her on at 11 pm or so, make sure the hopper is filled with pellets (and I particularly pile them higher in the center, to counteract the tunneling effect). Then it will cook and shift temp’s all night while you sleep.

Also, I never wrap my briskets, so that helps with smokiness and bark formation in the pellet smoker. But if you prefer to wrap, go for it, you’ll just have to get up and go out there at some point.
That’s pretty cool you can do that. So you like the MAK?
Mcc1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #224
barrettd
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post

I think I can do this with the Savannah Stoker in my Traeger, but I just haven't yet. I have trust issues.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #225
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Congrats on the new cooker Rib Rub, when do we get treated with some pron?
Thanks! I was showing my wife and daughter the grill last night and I could tell they were happy for me, but they could have cared less about the thing LOL. I hope to get some PRON up soon. I just got home and I have to finish putting it together however my wife wants to go out on the boat, so I may have to wait another day to finish up the assembly. I have a Brisket in the fridge and want to get it on Sunday! However I have something to do Sunday now.