The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

I am curious for MAK grill owners. How long did you season the new grill for? I think I did a couple of hours with my Camp Chef. My MAK 2 star is being delivered today and would love to do some BBQ chicken tonight.

I always just follow the seasoning instructions when I buy a new smoker — I figure the manufacturer knows best. I think for my 1-star it was 30 min at 450, but it might be different for the 2-star because it’s made from different materials.

Good luck and enjoy!

:der::pound: WOW, that guy is a pretty big nut job! Makes me wonder how he can call himself a bbqer:bounce: I would besurprised if he has been bbqing 10 or 11 years. Nobody could agree with him about that strong of a smoke flavor!??

:razz:

Exactly.. I like the smoke my stick burner puts out. Definitely more than my pellet grill with the smoke tube, but I don't burp smoke at all.

Exactly.. I like the smoke my stick burner puts out. Definitely more than my pellet grill with the smoke tube, but I don't burp smoke at all.

When I was first learning the craft, I thought that the food was supposed to taste like grandpa's because we did not eat out at BBQ places. I didn't know better. after a few bitter cooks, I started asking more experienced people, and later, the Brethren. Now I still enjoy smoke flavor, and stronger is okay too. But as I opt to please my wife (she has told me "too smokey" enough times to make me redo things) and other family members, and please my own taste, I am backing off on smoke, and adding other flavors, to get it right. I like my pellet cooker, and have found out how to get maximum smoke for my taste off of it.

"The premium fuel pellets are made exclusively from kiln dried sawdust containing a mixture of oak, maple, cherry, and walnut. This material source ensures that there is no bark in the pellets to minimize the ash content and reduces pellet stove maintenance and cleaning."

This is the description for their Premium pellets. It doesnt say grilling, or cooking, but i did see a picture somewhere of what looked like a pellet grill. That is an inexpensive price. Maybe call/email the company and ask specifically if they are made for grilling. You dont want regular pellet stove pellets for grilling

"The premium fuel pellets are made exclusively from kiln dried sawdust containing a mixture of oak, maple, cherry, and walnut. This material source ensures that there is no bark in the pellets to minimize the ash content and reduces pellet stove maintenance and cleaning."

This is the description for their Premium pellets. It doesnt say grilling, or cooking, but i did see a picture somewhere of what looked like a pellet grill. That is an inexpensive price. Maybe call/email the company and ask specifically if they are made for grilling. You dont want regular pellet stove pellets for grilling
I seen the pellet grill also, but nothing says (food grade) I did read before not use these pellets in a grill. Binders and such might come into
play???

Well my MAK 2 star came today and I was chugging along slapping it together and ran into a big problem. I need another person to help lift the grill onto the cart LOL. I was scoping the neighborhood and nobody was home. Daughter came and went before I could get her, wife is out. There were a couple of landscaping guys across the street and I was tempted to ask but figured I better not bug them. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Initial thoughts are that the grill is a tank. Most know that, but pictures do not do this thing justice. The amazing thing is the lid to the grill is solid, very heavy, but smooth as silk opening and closing. But yeah, looking over the grill it is the real deal, you see where your money is going. The packaging is even special. Little surprises all around opening it up from the tools to put it together, the craftsmanship, the nuts and bolts and the weight of the direct and indirect flamezone inserts. I mean I have not even turned it on yet and I am impressed. Doing a Brisket this weekend on it, nervous about that as I paid $60 bucks for the Brisket so going to be a costly major fail if I blow it LOL. But that is why I bought this grill, so I am pretty confident it will turn out.

Last edited:

This is interesting, one of the more popular brands on the market (Lumber Jack) claims that the bark contains more smoke flavor than the wood itself.

http://bbqlumberjack.com/our-pellets/

I’ve used Lumber Jack but can’t say they are smokier than BBQr’s Delight, which I am currently using due to availability.

This is interesting, one of the more popular brands on the market (Lumber Jack) claims that the bark contains more smoke flavor than the wood itself.

http://bbqlumberjack.com/our-pellets/

I’ve used Lumber Jack but can’t say they are smokier than BBQr’s Delight, which I am currently using due to availability.
I got a bag of Bear Mountain with the MAK grill today, never heard of Bear Mountain before? I also got 2 bags of BBQ’rs delight as a package deal with it also. Pretty stoked about these new brands. I have only been using Traeger and B&B Pellets, so looking forward to these new brands.

Congrats on the new cooker Rib Rub, when do we get treated with some pron?

Lumberjack, lumberjack, lumberjack. 100% hickory.
The only pellets you need to get.

AWESOME

I’ve used hundred of lbs of bbq delight, maybe 160lbs of cookinpellets, and over 1000lbs of lumberjack. Lumberjack hickory puts out s good bit more smoke flavor than anything else I have tried. Also like their 100% cherry and their MHC. They DO produce more ash than others for sure

Have used a few bags of pit boss and traegar...hardly any smoke flavor to me

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve used hundred of lbs of bbq delight, maybe 160lbs of cookinpellets, and over 1000lbs of lumberjack. Lumberjack hickory puts out s good bit more smoke flavor than anything else I have tried. Also like their 100% cherry and their MHC. They DO produce more ash than others for sure

Have used a few bags of pit boss and traegar...hardly any smoke flavor to me

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just purchased my first 3 bags of Lumber Jack, MHC, 100% Hickory and 100% Cherry, I guess I did well. Plan on also doing a little mixing of the Hickory and Cherry.

Good choices Kevin, when we gonna see some pron?

Good choices Kevin, when we gonna see some pron?
Will be here tomorrow and plan on putting it together but I have Sirloin Kababs on the WGA planned for tomorrow and the MRS will most likely want to dine out on Friday. So it will be Saturday, thinking Duroc St. Louis Spares, the Hunsaker is going to be pissed. :shocked:

Last edited:
We just purchased our ys640 today, so pellets have been discussed quite a bit. My wife likes that Lumberjack uses virgin wood for pellets. She then started looking for online suppliers with free shipping in Canada.

Congratulations, you are going to love it! You might check here: https://bbqpelletsonline.com/index.php They have a couple of terminal pickup locations in Canada, so they probably deliver there too.

We just purchased our ys640 today, so pellets have been discussed quite a bit. My wife likes that Lumberjack uses virgin wood for pellets. She then started looking for online suppliers with free shipping in Canada.

Hey, one of those terminals is only an hour away in London. Not much great BBQ there right now but a big Latin american community with restaurants to match.

Anyone here bought a universal cover for a MAK 2 Star (not the MAK brand cover). If so, what did you buy and are you happy with it?

ETA: Nevermind, found what I was looking for thru search

Last edited:
Back