MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

Default IBCA Judging Criteria

So, I'll be competing in my 1st IBCA event soon, and I'm curious, are there any certified judges out there who can tell me or show me what it is that would separate a brisket that earns an 8 on appearance versus one thy gets a 10???

I found images of what judges are looking for when I started doing LSBS comps a while back. Anything like that available for IBCS?

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig'em99 View Post
So, I'll be competing in my 1st IBCA event soon, and I'm curious, are there any certified judges out there who can tell me or show me what it is that would separate a brisket that earns an 8 on appearance versus one thy gets a 10???

I found images of what judges are looking for when I started doing LSBS comps a while back. Anything like that available for IBCS?
You only have one option. 7 slices, parallel to the hinge of the turn in box. There is no seperate category for apperance in IBCA.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I'll tell you what I saw turned in. The boxes were no where near full and the slices looked pretty thin to me.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

What competition will you be doing?

IBCA does not certify judges. They use anyone off the street who is interested in judging and with that being said, RangerJ nailed it. 50 or Less teams will usually require 7 slices, generally about the width of a #2 pencil here in Louisiana IBCA comps. They will be parallel to the hinge of the box and the ends cannot be cutoff after cooking. If the slices are too long they have to be wrapped around the sides but still parallel to the hinge of the box. If more than 50 teams the head judges will normally increase the number of brisket slices, number of ribs and require two fully jointed 1/2 chickens.

Do a search for "Pictures of IBCA Brisket Turn In Boxes" and you will surely find some good examples.

You can find the IBCA rules here:
http://www.ibcabbq.org/rules.html
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Make it tender and give it some punch...the judges will be getting their samples with those flimsy plastic forks and knives.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
I'll tell you what I saw turned in. The boxes were no where near full and the slices looked pretty thin to me.
Hard to fill up a box with 7 slices, so you just cascade them out the best you can.

As for thin, well, there is a criteria and I've been sent back more than once because the #2 pencil being used was smaller than my slice.

Not sure where this was or if it hit or not and this could have been Texas Gulf Coast which requires 9 slices. OR I was drinking and just added too many.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

So.. you are agreeing with me, but don't want to. Lol it's okay to agree.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
So.. you are agreeing with me, but don't want to. Lol it's okay to agree.
Huh? Weird you came up with that. I did not realize that the OT was about agreeing with what you said or not.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Huh? Weird you came up with that. I did not realize that the OT was about agreeing with what you said or not.
I was just teasing brother. Some times the written word does not come across right.

The not filling up the box part was intending to point him in the right direction with his trimming. Your pic shows a very good example of what the finished product should look like + a couple slices.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Gig'em99
On the road to being a farker

I appreciate the feedback.
So what are the judges judging on, if not taste, appearance and tenderness? Or is it simply those things, rated arbitrarily all combined in a 1-10 score?

I am a member, and I have the rules. The reason I ask, is because the rules don't really define how turn-ins are scored...

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Arial Black"]Baby Arm BBQ[/FONT][/COLOR]
Gig'em99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

This a judging sheet for Tx Gulf Coast BBQ which is very similar to IBCA.

JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wow, cook teams spend money to compete and be judged by people off the streets with that page of critera as training?
Dang.....
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Wow, cook teams spend money to compete and be judged by people off the streets with that page of critera as training?
Dang.....
Ed
100's of teams, if not more, every weekend. Many times with no power or water provided.

The alternative is to A. not compete, B. drive many hours in any cardinal direction to get to a KCBS event.

Which is why the whole, "I had to cart water at a Sam's event" stuff cracks me up.

But good Que is good Que and those that produce it do quite well. The 3 main organizations in my area, IBCA, Texas Gulf Coast and Lonstar BBQ do a good job and I'm just appreciative that someone is putting on events.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig'em99 View Post
I appreciate the feedback.
So what are the judges judging on, if not taste, appearance and tenderness? Or is it simply those things, rated arbitrarily all combined in a 1-10 score?

I am a member, and I have the rules. The reason I ask, is because the rules don't really define how turn-ins are scored...
The sheet JS posted from Texas Gulf Coast pretty much sums it up and you guessed it correctly.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #15
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I was just teasing brother. Some times the written word does not come across right.
No worries at all. Thanks for the input.