Turn in Product Temp Question

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been gone over already, tried searching some but no matches.

I have not even been to a Comp let along compete. After Q'n here at home and learning what happens once you get the food off the Smoker and watching the BBQ Pit-Masters series something came to mind.

Is the food cool by the time the judges get around to tasting and judging it?

I know I seen the devices used to keep food warm being used. Where my question comes from is the prep time I see being done (mostly relating to Brisket) as I find that the Brisket cools very fast once the slicing begins.

When you take the time to make everything look just as perfect as you can, many times done outside in varying weather, how is it possible the food is still warm by the time it gets to the judges?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Yes - often times it does cool but in the handful of times I've judged I've never really noticed it.

To give you some insight on length of time it takes before a judge actually samples the turn ins, I'll run you thru the turn in process.

1) cook takes meat out of smoker/warmer
2) cuts/arranges meat into box
3) cleans up box for turn in
4) walks box to turn in
- let's say that process is anywhere from 10-25 minutes depending on the category, cooks skills and distance of walk
5) team turns box into judging
6) after 6 turn ins are on a tray the box goes back to a table of judges
7) at that point the table captain gives all the judges the box numbers to write on the judging slips and placemats
8 ) 1 by 1 the table captain shows all 6 entries to the judges to give appearance scores
- let's say that takes 7-10 minutes
9) after all app scores are written down the table captain starts passing the turn in boxes around the table for the judges to get their sample and to put on the appropriate place on the place mat
10) after judge has all samples of given category the judge starts to sample for taste and tenderness
say that's another 3-5 minutes by the time the first box starts getting passed around til the last judge has the last sample

So you're looking at about 20-40 minutes from the time the team exposes the meat to the elements until the judge takes a bite.

For a team to consistently do well in competition Q, I think it's pretty important for their food to taste good at luke warm temps.

Last edited:
Yes - often times it does cool but in the handful of times I've judged I've never really noticed it. Could be cause I tend to eat cold Q around the house regularly.

To give you some insight on length of time it takes before a judge actually samples the turn ins, I'll run you thru the turn in process.

Thank-You,

I assumed it had to be somewhat like that. Thanks again for the great rundown!

Terry

By the way Terry, you should come out and compete. This year is going to be full of AZ contests compared to years past.

I primarily judge, but do cook at least once per year. I have experienced the full gamit from so hot you could hardly pick it from the box, to cold (I don't mean room temp, it was actually pulled from a cooler).
You have to realize that while warm food would be great, it's not realistic to expect it. I don't judge down for not hot, but cold is gonna lose points.
I've also seen talk lately of smoke ring. Not an issue, it is not to be evaluated in judging the sample ( I've not heard table talk about it after cards are turned in).
Also there has been concern about smudges on the inside cover of turn in boxes.
At almost every judges meeting the rep has stated that smudges are just as likely to be caused by others than the cook team and should not be considered in appearance scores.
Bored Tues. morning mod.
ModelMaker

Back