MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
ShortEnd
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Post Question about freezing Pulled Pork.

Smoking a pork butt today, to be served for a famiy gathering next weekend. I'm going to vacuum seal, freeze and reheat in a crock pot. Is it best to add the finishing sauce prior to sealing, or would it be best to add it when I reheat it?

Thanks
ShortEnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, I add it when I reheat it.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
rlncookinbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default before

My choice is add before freezing. Works best for me.

Just sayin.
rlncookinbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well there ya go, one for each. I guess the bottom line is that is doesn't matter.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

LOL I am going to add a twist! Neither.... Being diabetic I leave to the side for us sugar impaired. Maybe have a few sauces and let the people choose. Have tooth picks on side as well for people to sample to see if they like it before they pour it on and waste a good sammich only to grab another with a different sauce.

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
ShortEnd
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the replies. My favorite finishing sauce consists of 1/3 Blues Hog Regular, 1/3 Blues Hog Tennessee Red and 1/3 chilled gelatinous foiling juice with the fat removed and a little apple juice, if it still seems a bit dry. Most of the family has had my pulled pork and thinks it's "the berries". They are all enviously healthy. No diabetic's, no high cholesteral levels, all normal or slightly low blood pressure, including in-laws. What are the chances of that bit of luck? I'm guessing my solution will be to add it when I reheat, since my experience has been that frozen pulled pork will tend to be a bit dry when reheating and will still usually need a little miosture added, even if only apple juice. It should also vacuum pack more reliably without the added sauce. I've done it both ways before and just wanted to see what others were doing.

Ashmont, your point is very well taken. I never gave that any consideration before. I will certainly use your recommendation when prepairing for folks that I'm not familiar with in the future. Thank you.
ShortEnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
OL' Timer
On the road to being a farker

I am diabetic also and used Splenda for a long time for mine and others, switched to Stevia and most people don't know there's no sugar in my sauces or mops. It works well in the rubs also.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Cooling hot bbq before packaging in vacuum sealer is IMPORTANT. Put the PP in a plastic bag and hold in a ice bath/ ice and water/ until cooled. Then and only then you can vacuum seal and refrigerate or freeze. Sealing hot food is a disaster waiting to happen.