• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Thanks Norco, will give that a shot tomorrow then send out for the steam pressing that Bubba recommends.

Resize?

Well I've had a few trial runs with the UDS with pretty good results. I'm not sure about the resizing thing, so this post is mostly to see if it worked. If it does I'll post more

Attachments

• P1010020(1).JPG
    P1010020(1).JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,388
Hi all,
Its been a couple months since i read the ENTIRE thread and i just scored my barrels to build 2 UDS's. Unfortunately, i forgot some of it...but i do have the notes i took. Does this look good to you guys:

- use 1" hole saw or harbor freight step bit with 3in1 oil for 3/4 pipe thread holes (2" up from bottom?)

- go with (3) 3/4 close nipples, 1 capped and 2 3/4 ball valves (how long should the nipples be)?

- make wallyworld ash pan from cheap bbq, mount either a rod or good hook system to lift it out easily

- expando + 18.5 charcoal grate + bolts for legs, use ss zip ties or rebar wire to secure it together (i dont have welder)

Also i was wondering, is there a "best of" list for designs/build guides for each part? There are so many pics and ideas in this thread that its hard to flush out which ones are the solid ones that i should copy....for the lid/flu, charcoal basket, ash pan, etc?

Thanks all,
JD

Hey Norco the wd40 did the trick with the leftover glue in the lid rim. Let it sit about an hour then hit it with the toothbrush size wirebrush and a little steel wool, cleaned out with Tide solution, rinsed and done. Thank you very much. Somehow that should be added to How a Redneck would build a UDS thread.

Yall be nice now!

I know I am going to take a beating about these pictures,but here it goes. I know they are supposed to be ugly,OK so I got a little carried away. Though Im sure there are some football fans on here that think the LSU UDS is plenty ugly. I would like to thank everyone for all their post and help on the UDS. I have never smoked meat so easy and so good in my life. Now let the comments start!!
Thanks, la smoker

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,325
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,321
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,327
The tag 'mod' is spiffy... interesting way to decorate... :) Now I have a use for all my old car tags... :)

la, just a thought. The intake plugs look like cast from the pics. They will rust like a big dog in short order. May want to get some brass plugs. Just a thought! Nice looking smokers BTW!!

Hey Norco the wd40 did the trick with the leftover glue in the lid rim. Let it sit about an hour then hit it with the toothbrush size wirebrush and a little steel wool, cleaned out with Tide solution, rinsed and done. Thank you very much. Somehow that should be added to How a Redneck would build a UDS thread.

Remember the Tide warm water deal. Cleans oil residue real well.

Now let the comments start!!
Thanks, la smoker
Looks cool but bet you won't have enough exhaust. Adapt some fishtails on the Harley Drum using auto header adapters.

I have got through about 50 pages of this thread. A lot of good information in here. I have a 30G barrel laying around. My question is, will this work OK for a UDS? I know it will be smaller and might need a water pan. My plan is to use this for a trial run before I find a 55g drum. Any thoughts?

Mike

Guys - I am looking for some details on the intake pipe nipples. How long should they be? 1" long close nipples? Do they need to be stainless? I am not sure what they have over at home deeps, but i doubt its stainless...

Since i am not welding, just to make sure i got this right....I can thread in the 3/4" pipe nipple and on the inside i can lock it down with a conduit nut and same on the outside? I doubt the threading of the ball valve will thread all the way down to the barrel.

Thanks all,
JD

I have got through about 50 pages of this thread. A lot of good information in here. I have a 30G barrel laying around. My question is, will this work OK for a UDS? I know it will be smaller and might need a water pan. My plan is to use this for a trial run before I find a 55g drum. Any thoughts?

Mike
I think DR.Ky made his first from a 30Gal.
Guys - I am looking for some details on the intake pipe nipples. How long should they be? 1" long close nipples? Do they need to be stainless? I am not sure what they have over at home deeps, but i doubt its stainless...

Since i am not welding, just to make sure i got this right....I can thread in the 3/4" pipe nipple and on the inside i can lock it down with a conduit nut and same on the outside? I doubt the threading of the ball valve will thread all the way down to the barrel.

Thanks all,
JD
1" length will do fine, Black Pipe nipples are what they're called and you can use a single conduit nut on the inside and it will work fine.....

Thanks all,
JD

JD, I don't weld either and I use 3/4" close nipples. Get a 1 9/32" Shower Valve Socket Wrench from the plumbing department to tighten the conduit nuts.

I thread a conduit nut with the points facing out as far as it will go on the close nipple, then thread it through the drum from the inside and put another conduit nut on the outside with the points facing in so they grab the drum and the nut on the inside grabs the drum. Doing it this way the inside one did not move and was pulled towards the drum so I was able to do it by myself since it is rather hard to reach both conduit nuts by yourself.

I have also done this with my exhaust, using a 2"x4" black pipe with two conduit nuts.

The shower valve socket is the way to go for the 3/4" pipe, for the exhaust I use the same procedure, but since you can handle both sides of the lid pliers work just fine.

Attachments

• SG102205.jpg
    SG102205.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,454
  • SG102206.jpg
    SG102206.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,458
Back