Macaroni Cheese

Aussie Vonnie

Found some matches.
Reaction score
We do a lot or our cooking outside in one of our many, many styles of bbq's but one dish that I simply can not master is Macaroni Cheese. I simply love this dish so any ideas are more than welcome. :idea:
cheers Vonnie

If you look in the bash section under the socal thread, i have a recipe.

look it over and ask....

no, i don't use velveeta. i used to, but i don't now.

I buy it pre made from Costco and just throw it in the smoker. $10 easy as can be and delicious.

Milk,Phlour,cheese,white wine,salt,pepper...make a sauce out of this.
Put the raw macaroni in an ovendish,drown the macaroni in it,top it off with more cheese,cook it till it's done.
You can also make a blonde roux Phirst but I'm a lazy cook.
Most of the time I make the sauce out of cream instead of milk and Phlour.

Last edited:
Sipmle & Delicious

Thanks Goolsby Is this blue box kraft a cheese or pre packed macaroni and cheese ? As we have this cheese down under
cheers Vonnie
The pre-packaged Mac n Cheese cook as instructed on package then add chopped onion & sour cream. Put into a greased baking dish add shredded cheese bake until melted & bubbly.

Blue box kraft. Add pepper. Reminisce childhood
Cooking out of a box? Is this listed under the boiled ribs section?...Just wondering..

I like to boil noodles to the first stage of eldente, recipe for premix is milk, sour cream, can cheese wiz or nacho cheese, cubes or shred monte-ray jack-pepper cheese, hot sauce, then warm this up before mixxing with noodles, add pepper, season salt, oinion and top off with slices of swiss or provalone, seal up before going to smoker as open it will grab too much smoke...really good...you also can chop jalepeno'

Here is my recipe, people RAVE over this... I made it once for the Fisher House and now it is a heavily requested donation. It's a time consuming recipe and when I make this it's the first item to disappear.

I've made it a bunch so here are my tips, you can sub cheeses but you need 8 ounces of sharp cheese or it's too bland. Use whole milk, not 2% and don't even bother if you are using skim (which is technically not even "milk").

Don't use dried packaged breadcrumbs (nasty on this dish), leave them off or sprinkle a little extra cheese on top if you don't feel like making breadcrumbs.

I've never put this in a smoker but I imagine the smoked breadcrumb topping would taste off?

Prepackaged shredded cheese is fine... but freshly shredded cheese takes it to another level of deliciousness.

Baked Mac and Cheese

1 stick butter
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 minced garlic clove
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 t cayenne pepper
6 Tablespoons flour
3 1/2 cups WHOLE (full fat) milk
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
1 lb shredded Colby cheese shredded (4 cups) /you can sub any mild cheese here/
8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups) /HAVE to use a sharp cheese/

Heat oven to 400. Melt 2 T butter, mix with breadcrumbs.

Boil mac till al dente (don't over cook).

Make a basic white sauce, in pan you cooked the pasta in. Melt 6 T butter, stir in garlic, dry mustard and cayenne. Add in 6T flour cook for a minute till golden. Slowly add in milk and broth, bring to a simmer, stir and cook until it thickens and has some body, I think 5 to 10 minutes.

Take off heat, stir in cheeses until melted, then stir in macaroni, break up all macaroni clumps. Pour into a heavily buttered 9 by 13 dish, top with buttered breadcrumbs and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

I'm new so the recipe forum is not open to me yet, when it does I'll post it in there.

got this out of one of those small cook mags at the checkout line. Been making it for a while.

8 ounces elbow macaroni
3 ounces bacon (about 3 strips), sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for the pasta water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 11/2 cups)
2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)

Cooking Directions
Prep time: 8 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Inactive time: 10 minutes Total: 38 minutes
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, heat a small sauté pan over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Drain the fat from the bacon-garlic mixture, and transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
Add the drained macaroni to the bacon mixture, and stir to combine.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and evaporated milk together. Add the 1 /2 teaspoon salt, cayenne, nutmeg, and grated cheeses, and mix well. Add the macaroni-bacon mixture, and stir well to blend.
Transfer the macaroni to an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish or gratin dish of similar size. Using a
spoon, gently spread the mixture to form an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Remove the macaroni and cheese from the oven and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before serving

If you can't get fresh Chiles, add these to your Mac.
Swiss, smoked Gouda and goat. Please just don't top with crushed Korn Flakes. If you want a bowl of cereal, eat a bowl of cereal. Although I did have Mac on a bed of garlic butter panko bread crumbs one time that was tasty.

Last edited:
I think it's funny that "Hatch" brand is REALLY pushing the fact that their chiles are gluten free. Well, duh. :becky:

Tried a recipe from a post on here somewhere. Was extremely easy and consisted of using cheddar cheese soup, shredded cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, and crumbled bacon. was the easiest recipe and the best we had ever had. What really impressed me was the next day you could heat some up in microwave and it would be just as creamy as the day you made it. The leftovers didnt dry out at all.

Can't believe I am saying this but stouffers mac and cheese is pretty good. If I am in a pinch I just throw it in the smoker. The worst is I get more compliments when I do that then my Mac and Cheese!

Pour a bottle of german beer into a pot, add diced onions garlic and butter, let it cook down a bit, add some flour, stir in 2 cans of Campbell's cheddar cheese soup, add some milk or cream. A few shakes of some Worcestershire Sauce Dash of paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt pepper, pour in 1lb of cooked macaroni and stir. Get a casserole dish, sprinkle some bread crumbs, panko, or crutons on the bottom, pour half the mac and cheese in to the dish, add a layer of grated sharp cheddar and Monterrey jack, maybe some muenster too. pour the rest of the mac and cheese on, layer again with grated cheese, then more bread crumbs, panko, or crutons, another quick dash of paprika for color then bake for like 10min at 350 on the middle shelf, then broil till you get the desired molten bubbly cheese on the top.

It's real good.

Last edited:
I use Famous Dave's recipe that I got off of google. I don't know how to post links but it is easy to find. I have only made it in the oven but I'm sure it would be tasty on the smoker too. It's by far the best Mac recipe I've made.

I use Famous Dave's recipe that I got off of google. I don't know how to post links but it is easy to find. I have only made it in the oven but I'm sure it would be tasty on the smoker too. It's by far the best Mac recipe I've made.

This is my favorite also. Takes a little time but is awesome, I could sit and eat a half pan.

I think it's funny that "Hatch" brand is REALLY pushing the fact that their chiles are gluten free. Well, duh. :becky:

--you'd be astounded what wheat/gluten manages to find it's way into. I would almost be surprised if there wasn't a brand of canned chiles with gluten in it for some reason

Back