BWS Fatboy Brisket help

Homebrewed Q

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hi all, I've done 3 comps total so far, 1 last year and 2 this year. The 2 that I've done this year I've used my new Fatboy smoker. I practiced on everything but brisket for 4 cooks at home. The two comps that I've done so far my brisket has not met my standards, although I did get a 9th place call in Marksville, La (IBCA). I cook all of my meats (half chickens, St. Louis ribs, and brisket) on the one Fatboy smoker. I run the temp at about 230. My chicken and ribs have met my standards, but I've only received a 12th and 8th place on chicken so far, no calls on ribs. My problem with the brisket is that I'm not getting the color on the outside that I want, no bark, and not much of a smoke ring. The 9th place brisket was borderline as far as juicyness, it was on the verge of drying (14lb angus brisket smoked for 6 hours, foiled for 4 hours, coolered for 2 hours, unwrapped and back on smoker for last hour, then rested for 45 minutes before slicing). I use a generous amount of a dry rub, no injection. The second comp brisket was a 12.3lb angus cooked for 11 hours with the same percentage breakdown as the previous brisket cook style, and it came out super dry on the flat but with flavor, super moist on the point but with no flavor. I have a 12 lb brisket that I am going to practice with this weekend. Any suggestions on how to get the color and smoke ring, and juicyness I desire? Also, another note, I do keep the water pan full while smoking, and I use a 3 to 4 large chunks of wood for smoking when I first put the meat on. I was warned not to use too much wood on the Backwoods because it would be too intense.

In a fatboy, you will get bark quicker on the higher shelves. In mine, always cook to color instead of a certain time or temp and then wrap. Another option is to go without water in the pan... You could try sand or something else. I have a fatboy that i cook ribs and shoulders on, but my briskets are always done on a WSM. For me, i feel like the way i cook brisket is better suited for a dryer cooking environment. Hope this helps

Thanks for the response. Smoked it on the top shelf, had water in the pan, took it off after 10.5 hours and its resting in the oven, which is off by the way. The color was great, and the couple of sample chunks we took off of the point end were great. Will slice it up in a little while after the corn and sausage finish up.

I have had 75 degree temp difference between the top and bottom, it will usually even out after about an hour. I like a little more smoke and use maybe use 8-10 medium chunks spread from inside to out of my Minion.

you might need to play with the rub a little bit if it's acting different than are accustomed to. What did you cook on before the Fatboy?

Muzzlebrake, for my first comp I just used my CGS, at home over the years I used anything from a barrel to the ground. I'm happy with the Fatboy, but I'm still learning how to use it.

Back