Finally...Crispy Chicken Skin From MAK!

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
I really don't want to sound like I'm tooting my own horn here. My aim by posting this is to share it with all the pellet poopers who have had issues getting great skin from their pellet smokers.
I've been looking for the secret of crispy chicken skin from my pellet smoker for all the years I've had pellet grills. I've asked for it on all the pellet forums and several have replied, but few even eat the skin, so I've had my doubts. I'm a skin lover, so this was the holy grail for me.
I ran across this method while on yet another web search for crispy skin. Apparently, it's an old Asian trick and since I'm an old Asian, it made sense to me. I also found a site on the science of crispy skin, that bolstered the method. And yes...I repeated 3 times. So here goes...

-Spatch the chicken, dry with paper towels, season, then put in fridge uncovered for several hours.
-Right before placing the chicken on the smoker, pour boiling water over the skin and make sure that the skin is shrinking up and looking more transparent than normal, but don't over do it and cook the meat. A single pot works for me.
-Now, towel dry and reseason, then give a lite spray of Pam over the skin.
-Place in smoker at 375* till breast is 170*.
For my MAK, 375* is the perfect temp to get the oil to fry and skin to render. In my Primo, 330* seems to do it, although I'll have to do more experimentation to find out for sure.
The science behind it all, from what I've read, is that the boiling water aligns the protein strands in the skin, allowing the fat to more easily render. The more tender skin then fries and becomes crispy. I've repeated this method 3 times and each time, the skin has been crispy and the breast meat is juicy.
I'd love for some of you to try this method and let me know if it works for you as well as it works for me.
Thanks for looking...by the way, in the pic, notice the skin was so crispy it was cracking...

That’s totally new to me. Can’t wait to try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you want really crispy skin spatch it, then put into a large enough container filled at least 1/2 inch with kosher salt and put spatched chicken skin side down in the fridge overnight. Then rinse off the skin, or use your boiled water if you want. Once its rinsed pat dry and season with your rub of choice and cook as you like. You will have a crispy slightly salty skin.

If you want really crispy skin spatch it, then put into a large enough container filled at least 1/2 inch with kosher salt and put spatched chicken skin side down in the fridge overnight. Then rinse off the skin, or use your boiled water if you want. Once its rinsed pat dry and season with your rub of choice and cook as you like. You will have a crispy slightly salty skin.

Really no need. The few hours dry brine and boiling water does it. Trying to keep it simple enough to buy the chicken in the morning and serve it up for an early Sunday dinner. It really does work.

Last edited:
Really no need. The few hours dry brine and boiling water does it. Trying to keep it simple enough to buy the chicken in the morning and serve it up for an early Sunday dinner. It really does work.

Well, i usually wet brine overnight with all my chicken. But i usually cold smoke then use my Rotisserie which always turns out 10x better then cooking in any of my smokers.

thanks for the tip.

You're welcome:grin: I know that came off snarky, but it just seems like a lot of effort to get crispy skin. I hear a lot of good things about Maks, but seriously, if I had to dip my chicken in hot water to get crispy skin, that would be a deal breaker.

Last edited:
FWIW, if you just oil the skin, you will at a minimum get bite-through skin every time. I'm intrigued by the boiling water trick...will have to give that a shot.

Or you guys can just buy Yoders, because I've never had a problem with crispy skin.

You must of gotten the special yoder. Mine certainly produces the worst skin i ever had. I don't mind though as i much prefer chicken over some good hot coals.

You must of gotten the special yoder. Mine certainly produces the worst skin i ever had. I don't mind though as i much prefer chicken over some good hot coals.

What temp are you cooking at? You need high heat. I like 400. I add a smoke tube to add some extra smoke, because it is a quick cook. It is as good as my weber kettle, and my choice for cooking chicken.

picture.php

Thanks for the tip. I love when the skin is crispy. With my pellet smoker it's usually rubbery. Definitely going to try this. :thumb:

Cool. Never heard of the boiling water trick. I had always thought secret to crispy skin on Chinese duck was air drying the poultry for a long time, sometimes with a fan.

Cooked these on a MAK @375, halved, seasoned and put on the grill, no problem with the skin not crisping up.

7HOFxsQ.jpg

TD7gREx.jpg

Thanks I have tryed everything in my pellet pooper always rubbery. gotto try this method out..

Me too! I could get good skin, inconsistently, from my Primo, indirect, however the MAK always gave me rubber skin. That was the challenge I guess. Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

So this should for Turkey as well, right?!?!?!? I can't wait to try it.

Ya man! Every year I run thru practice runs for the big day and I use chicken as the testers. Long as you follow the recipe, no more, no less, it should work. I just did a practice turkey, breasts only and it worked out well. I suggest you do the same and let us know if it needed tweaks. Thanks.

Back