MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
BigSmoky
Found some matches.

Default Orion Cooker-Quick Batch on T-Day-Picture Heavy

Been lurking. I have an Orion Cooker that we use quit a bit. Also have a Buried Drum Smoker, a side burner smoker/grille, and a Weber Kettle.

We are building a place in a remote area and there is always way more work on the projects than there is time to devote to cooking. So the Orion works for us in that we can cook a variety of meats quickly and then over the next 4-5 days have easy/quick meals since the entrees are basically done. Just reheat the meat and add a few sides and we have gourmet meals and still can get back to the projects in no time. Looking forward to the time when I can begin to use the other BBQ's that we have. I have been eye-balling the UDS here and have a barrel

Lots of pics follow:

This thanksgiving batch of grub came out well in the Orion: a 3-pak of Costco Pork ribs, a Beef Rib Roast from Ralph's, and a herb marinated Turkey Breast from Costco.

Above: The cooker table that I cobbled together. I place it in a little nook by the back door to the shop where the wind is minimized by the fencing and building.

Cedar Table has a travertine tile top and gets the cooker up where it is easy to load and fire.

I line the Orion drip pan with non-stick foil.

Above: Drip pan goes into the bottom of the cooker.

Soaked a mix of apple and mesquite chips in a pot with warm water.

Spread the soaked chips around the drip pan and against the inside of the cooker's wall.

Load the Easy Light charcoal around the Orion's burner surround. (yes this cooker uses a lot of expensive charcoal. You can use cheaper charcoal and lighter fluid instead)

More charcoal goes into the Cooker's lid holder, which aides in convection.

Trussed Turkey Breast and Rib Roast on the grille. The Digital thermometer probe is in the breast.

Ribs on holders above the grille

All three meats are in the cooker

Charcoal is lit and white-hot and the temp starts building inside.

around 2 hours and at 185F the cooker is opened.

The Beef roast and Turkey breast were done to perfection. Both were very tender and moist. The ribs pulled right off the bone. All the meats have a distinct smoke flavor. Wife made a barley soup using the rib roast and it had a mild smoke flavor too. No shortage of smoke flavor in the Orion.

The trussed breast almost turned into a Turkey breast Log.

Needless to say, we had enough to eat for the 5 days we were out building fence.
Thanks

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the Pron!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Cool, always wondered how those works, look good. Thanks for sharing.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

I have an Orion as well. I did two turkey's for T-Day. Came out very well. I have also done ribs and boston butt as well and they have also come out pretty tasty.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

How do you not get bad smoke flavor in a low oxygen environment? No vent for stale smoke.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

Looks tasty! Thanks for sharing. I have also been wondering about how well the Orion's cook.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

looks good

Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

"How do you not get bad smoke flavor in a low oxygen environment? No vent for stale smoke."
I open the lid on mine every 1/2 hour or so to let more 02 in, which also lets some smoke out.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
BigSmoky
Found some matches.

Thanks for the comments/compliments.

RE: Bad Smoke questions- It's never been an issue. I know what bad smoke is because I had a nasty batch of chicken in the side burner smoker one time from using green wood.

Guessing that the smoke is drafting out of this cooker due to the gap between the cover/lid and the main "can" caused by the rather thick braided thermometer probe. There is a constant stream of light colored smoke coming up from the seam for the last hour of the cook. I don't force the lid down because it can destroy the thermometer's wires. Maybe that is why-and just getting lucky. never thought about the bad smoke. have cooked whole chickens and loads of wings before and the smoked chicken flavor is the real deal.

One thing: The Orion cookbook has you time the cook and leave it sealed. I have found that not to work for us because we are at 5000 feet altitude and cooking sometimes when nit is 20 deg. F outside. So I use a probe.

BTW- After this cook, the chips were all charred and the drip pan was 3/4's full of liquid.

Lastly-these Orions are a PITA to clean. I sometimes fill with soap and water and let it soak overnight. Too cold for that now. Just bought a pressure washer-so maybe that will help.

Last edited by BigSmoky; 12-02-2011 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Typo
BigSmoky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

N.i.c.e.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Nice job. Orions rock when you are in a pinch! I never had a bad smoke flavor with mine and I never cracked the lid.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

To clean it get some Super Clean. I order mine at Ace Hardware. Works like a charm.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett

Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
BigSmoky
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
To clean it get some Super Clean. I order mine at Ace Hardware. Works like a charm.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that!