Gravity Fed Smoker?

stix

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey Guys, glad to be apart if this forum. I’m looking to pull the trigger on a Gravity Fed Smoker. I have done months of research & narrowed it down to Stumps XL baby & Assassin 24. Any suggestions on which is better & who owns either one? Strictly for backyard & maybe a few comps a year at best. I have my concerns about both. I’m leaning toward Assassin only cause i feel Stumps is overcharging for extras that should come standard. Stumps, though is patented & is the industry leader. If you had to pick 1 which would it be? Thanks for all the help!!

I wouldn’t say Stumps is the industry leader. Lots of top notch gravity feed builders. LSG, TK, Deep South, Myron Mixon, even Old Country makes one now!

Don’t limit yourself to those 2 brands. Also check the Brethren sale page. A few DS and a Stumps for sale now.

ok got it. I will look further. Such a tough decision. Thanks

Thanks BBQ Freak. Problem is i’m so far up North so i can’t look for myself & not much on youtube or the web. T & K look nice but looks like they are 18 gauge instead of 14 gauge like the rest. Not sure if it makes a difference.

I've owned my Stumps Baby for a long time now. Works great, doesn't use much fuel since it is insulated. There are a lot of Gravity Fed's being made now. What sold me on the Stumps was it doesn't use a water pan, one less thing to clean. Take your time and learn as much as you can about the folks who make them.

Thanks BBQ Freak. Problem is i’m so far up North so i can’t look for myself & not much on youtube or the web. T & K look nice but looks like they are 18 gauge instead of 14 gauge like the rest. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Give Todd at T&K a call. I'm sure he can make it almost any way you want. I have his small gravity feed and it's solid. Mine is 14 gauge. The one thing I liked about T&K is that the bottom rack isn't unusable like some others that run close to 100 degrees hotter vs the other racks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help. I’m continuing my research. I saw Humphreys made a gravity fed but not much info on it. The Cougar Guy, any upgrades in last 6 years from Assassin? I keep going back to Assassin for some reason. They are all great cookers so it’s a tough decision.

Thanks for all the help. I’m continuing my research. I saw Humphreys made a gravity fed but not much info on it. The Cougar Guy, any upgrades in last 6 years from Assassin? I keep going back to Assassin for some reason. They are all great cookers so it’s a tough decision.

I just messaged you. Got a Stumps for sale and I’m not far from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assassin 24 owner here.

I've cooked some amazing food on it, and it delivers big every time I fire it up.

No quality issues at all - it's built like a tank.

C&C Manufacturing builds them, and my interactions with them have been great. They will answer every question you have, and build a cooker just like you want it.

The Humphrey's gravity feeds are fully welded and built like a tank.

Nicole from Humphrey’s here! Our gravity feed smokers are very heavy duty. We use an 8” with 1/2” thick wall round tube for our chute to prevent charcoal bridging. Our GF is the only GF that is reverse flow on the market currently. It forces the heat and smoke thru the dual walls making for even temps top to bottom, left to right, front to back. Fully insulated, thick steel, powder coated finish. Please feel free to email me with any questions you might have. Info@humphreysbbq.com

The Cougar Guy, any upgrades in last 6 years from Assassin? I keep going back to Assassin for some reason. They are all great cookers so it’s a tough decision.

The only upgrade I made was that I added a shelf runner between the top and 2nd runner so I would have some more flexibility. Other than that, it's the same as when I bought it. Give Jeff a call over at Assassin. He's very helpful and will answer all of your questions. Good luck with your decision.

Check out my original post and you can see where I put them.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195178

Just picked up a reverse flow from T&K this Saturday and highly recommend them. Todd was easy to work with and his stuff is all welded also. Don't know the exact metal thickness, but it's heavy. Also running the smoker for hours at 300 degrees with outside temps in the 30s having rock solid temps inside the smoker. The outside was also not hot at all so I know it is well insulated.

Hey Guys, glad to be apart if this forum. I’m looking to pull the trigger on a Gravity Fed Smoker. I have done months of research & narrowed it down to Stumps XL baby & Assassin 24. Any suggestions on which is better & who owns either one? Strictly for backyard & maybe a few comps a year at best. I have my concerns about both. I’m leaning toward Assassin only cause i feel Stumps is overcharging for extras that should come standard. Stumps, though is patented & is the industry leader. If you had to pick 1 which would it be? Thanks for all the help!!

There are a lot of great options out there to choose from. Personally, I've been looking at Myron Mixon models but, TK smokers are really good as well and a bit cheaper.

To be honest, it is really hard to buy a gravity-fed smoker with just internet pictures and specs. Pay attention to things like grate dimensions, the spacing between shelves, the latches and handles, wheels, and a ton of other features all while factoring in price and overall budget. :loco:

To be honest, it is really hard to buy a gravity-fed smoker with just internet pictures and specs. Pay attention to things like grate dimensions, the spacing between shelves, the latches and handles, wheels, and a ton of other features all while factoring in price and overall budget. :loco:

VERY true words here. You need to define what you need in a cooker.

Be sure to seek out people who own the cookers you're looking at to get their take on pros and cons. It's an investment. Choose wisely.

Back