Ever weigh your meat?

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I needed to make a quick batch of chicken breakfast sausage for the folks. (Mom has gout and can't eat pork.)
Time was a bit short so I picked up some Heritage Farms boneless skinless thighs.
4.3 lbs net weight, per the label.
Weighed it when I unpacked it, 3lbs 11.1oz.
That's over 1/2 pound off on a 4lb package!
I know some was lost in the water soaked into the maxi pad, but that seems excessive.
That would have been about $1 worth of chicken, but if you figure that as average on every package, that would pay for a 1/2 barrel of good beer over a year's time!

The chicken sausage was excellent, however.
I'll definitely be making more very soon.
And will try a blend of pork and chicken for grins.

Edit: The chicken was $2.99/#, not $1.99/# as i thoughtso $1.50 worth of missing bird meat.
That's two 1/2 barrels!
Now they're hitting me where it hurts! :Cry:

Last edited:
I just happened to have my kitchen scale out while reading this so I did a quick check. I used a measuring cup - 1cup/235ml. I tared the cup and filled it up and it weighed right at 8oz full. That does seem like excessive liquid but those absorbent pads can soak up a lot too. I wouldn't be surprised if most meat manufacturers give people extra liquid knowing most folks wont weigh the meat.

I needed to make a quick batch of chicken breakfast sausage for the folks. (Mom has gout and can't eat pork.)
Time was a bit short so I picked up some Heritage Farms boneless skinless thighs.
4.3 lbs net weight, per the label.
Weighed it when I unpacked it, 3lbs 11.1oz.
That's over 1/2 pound off on a 4lb package!
I know some was lost in the water soaked into the maxi pad, but that seems excessive.
That would have been about $1 worth of chicken, but if you figure that as average on every package, that would pay for a 1/2 barrel of good beer over a year's time!

The chicken sausage was excellent, however.
I'll definitely be making more very soon.
And will try a blend of pork and chicken for grins.

Edit: The chicken was $2.99/#, not $1.99/# as i thoughtso $1.50 worth of missing bird meat.
That's two 1/2 barrels!
Now they're hitting me where it hurts! :Cry:

Go on-line and file a complaint (or write a letter) to your States Bureau of Weights and Measures. Enclose pictures if you can.

I weigh everything because I count calories, i can tell you the calorie:gram ratio of everything I make.

Go on-line and file a complaint (or write a letter) to your States Bureau of Weights and Measures. Enclose pictures if you can.

Unfortunately, the packaging is buried in the garbage, so no pictures available.
I think for comparison, next time I buy chicken I'll buy some Heritage Farms and some Tyson and compare.
I'll also weigh the unopened packages.
I think HF is selling gross weight vs net weight, even though they state gross weight on the package.
I usually buy Tyson, it seems cleaner to me.
Kroger didn't have any Tyson boneless/skinless thighs that day.

Heritage Farms is horrible chicken. No telling what that crap is shot full of. The last time I cooked some, the texture was unlike any chicken I had ever eaten. Mealy as Hell. I swore I would never buy it again.

I'm certainly not a fan of it either Lloyd.
It was a bit of a necessity, I would normally buy fresh from the case or Tyson if I bought pre-packaged.
It DID make tasty sausage, I have to say.

That is what I was thinking. OP didn't mention (or I missed it as it is early even for me) whether the label was from the processor or the retailer. I believe most retailer scales are certified annually and one would hope the processor scales are certified at least that often and probably more.

I have always been afraid to start weighing meats, as much as they have to do I would hazard a guess that they get cked pretty regular, on my reloading scale I have a weight to set on it to ck accuracy, pretty simple and quick imo.

I always weigh my balls. I mean, really, who wants uneven sized meatballs?

fa9fc300f18218403454d043d4273834.jpg

That is what I was thinking. OP didn't mention (or I missed it as it is early even for me) whether the label was from the processor or the retailer. I believe most retailer scales are certified annually and one would hope the processor scales are certified at least that often and probably more.

PP,
The label was from the processor.

Don’t forget a lot of poultry is brined as well which adds weight.

Back