The Question Is.........

It gonna be nice and seasoned by the 2nd? Can't wait to see the finished pics!

It gonna be nice and seasoned by the 2nd? Can't wait to see the finished pics!

I Hope so - won't be insulated tho - not sure if I can insulate it yet but it's double walled(thin metal) with 1-1.5" air gap so that's better than single thin wall. :cool:

I gotta figure me up an exhaust - it has just a rectangle hole in top of back wall - thinking of plating that off and putting pipe in top but top is slightly domed/ curved and gotta figure out my intakes - probally 1 1" pipe nipples and ball valve on each side (2 total) - and make a charcoal basket (easy). :biggrin1:

I was wondering how you were going to take care of the FB situation. :pop2:

The bottom half of the firebox is not Double Walled and is Louvered for propane air intake and as you can see in the pics there is a 1" channel in back corners and 1" lip on front so the FireBox insert will have a 1" air gap around 2 sides and the back. So I cut some plate and painted the Louver side with High Temp Silver Paint and installed with Stainless bolts and High Temp RTV to seal off the Louvers. :wink:
I tried to test fit the FB insert but it is a tight enough fit it would not go past the screw you see in the top right corner of bottom pic- which is a Good thing- I'll just have to take a few screws out and squeeze it in there!. :mrgreen: the insert is gonna be permanent anyways and I'll have a removable Charcoal Burn Basket.

null_zpsb0a513ec.jpg

null_zpse9b44fc0.jpg

It would be a good candidate to add a Pellet Pro controller to.

It fits - back corners were tighter fit -- since it has no top and short front wall the sides lean in a hair but atleast it's no too big and need trimming !

null_zpsdd5a5c0f.jpg

Lookin real good my friend :thumb:

But really, slaps and metal work are never a good idea :laugh:

Well drilling 1 1/4 holes in 1/8" plate SUCKS! esp thru Stainless Skin then 1/8" plate then another 1/8" plate an inch in. Using a Step Bit and oil but Burned up my 2 Old Cheapo 3/8" Drills and had to go Buy a REAL Drill - 1/2" Rigid. Then Home Depot doesn't carry 1"x3" pipe nipples and 2" was too Short so I got 4" but they are too long so now I gotta find something to use as spacer behind conduit nuts. So between that and watching GBabys 2 Ballgames I didn't get a lot accomplished today! :cry:
UDS was MUCH Easier..........

Last edited:
I think mine is an older big brother to your score and just yesterday started measuring an sketching a remodel from a gasser to a charcoal/stickburner. Mine is a "Grand Hall" made in China for Sam's Club, marketed as a MembersMark product. I cooked on it for about 10 years and got pretty good results but since I build my reverse flow a couple years ago, I've just had it mounted to the trailer and used is as an oven, but I think it will make a nice insulated vertical. The top cooking chamber is already insulated.
002_zpsbadc4412.jpg

The bottom chamber is not insulated but it is plenty big to let me add 2" of insulation and a 1/4" firebox, charcoal grate, etc. (I've been using the lower chamber to store my gas frier & stuff)
005_zps4d1b2cf3.jpg

My plan is to keep the water pan but gut the wood chip drawers and burner & controls.
003_zpscf1ad215.jpg

004_zpsa5dd287f.jpg

I'm thinking I'll be able to preserve the SS exterior pretty much in tact. Good luck on your build and I'll be watchin closely to try and learn something.

I might have a boner lol :shock:

MAde some progress today - skipping Cowboys game tho (DVR)- found. 1x3" pipe nipples at Lowes so got FB insert installed and bolted to floor of Cabinet. The front cover which has a pin for the FB Door was held on by 4 screws from inside but with FB insert I couldn't access screw holes. So I put 4 bolts with nuts as Studs sticking out, drilled out front cover and bolted it on and cut extra threads off. I didn't like where the exhaust was plus there is a handle just above the a Rectangle hole on back so I plated it off. Now I gotta drill hole thru Top for pipe Stack, install thermo thru Door and build a Charcoal Burn Basket.
null_zps2487328a.jpg

null_zpsba6b994e.jpg

null_zps903ed50c.jpg

null_zps50ef8f2e.jpg

It LIVES!!!!! And sucks air, leaks smoke and Runs HOT. I forgot to plate off two holes where recessed wheels where in back corners and I dumped a full chimney of flaming KBB - so that's 2 pretty big air holes but it is NOT and Won't be airtight - I'd of had to rebuild whole thing and if that was the plan I'd of just built one from scratch - but I should be able to get it manageable - my file cabinet smoker sucked air and leaked smoke everywhere and I got used to it. :mrgreen:
Still need to make a difusser plate, plate off two wheel holes, add Decent thermo and Add insulation at later date.

null_zpsd8f5b404.jpg

null_zps20dc46ee.jpg

First Cook is at the N Tx Bash Tomorrow. I plated off the two wheel holes I had forgotten about so hopefully it won't run so Hot.

I'm thinking THE Cowboys will beat Tech. Hope so anyway

Guns Down

Like the project

well I did my first cook in it Today- 10 lb Packer- did pretty well but I put too much Lit Charcoal in at first and it ran Hot 350-375 for first 1.5 hrs or so - its a keeper I think- still gonna insulate walls n top in near future. :wink:

It sure settled in nice though after a while....surely worthy of another cook!

...but I think there was a 4XX in there at the beginning :wink:

Back