MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
jbelson
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Sauce help

So, I've tried making a couple of sauces lately, and all it tastes like is slightly flavored katchup.
I tried arron franklins, and walter jettons.
Anyone have a favorite I should try? Still looking for a good brisket type sauce.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Tannhauser42
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : X

I like plain ol' Stubb's. Very low in sugar compared to most, so if you're after a sauce that's not sweet, it's a good one to try.
Tannhauser42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
jbelson
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm talking more about making it. Even though there are so many on the market that are really good, I just want to try to create my own.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #4
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

No. 5 sauce - the one on tvwbb.com. The key ingredient is the rub you add. Use it as a base and create your own magic.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Smoking Piney
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Here's one I have saved but have never tried it, and I can't remember where I found it.....but it looks pretty good:

Texas Mop Sauce

Makes about 5 cups.

Takes about 30 minutes.

This has beef stock and possibly beef fat in it so it should not be kept for more than a week or two.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons American chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon of butter *
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup Lone Star beer (or any other lager)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons steak sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons of hot sauce
2 cups beef, veal, or chicken stock

*About the butter. Butter works fine, but to make it authentic, use rendered beef fat from the a brisket.

Do this:

1) Mix the paprika, black pepper, American chili powder, and cumin in a small bowl.

2) In a small saucepan, melt the butter or fat and gently cook the onion over medium heat until translucent.

3) Add the garlic, bell pepper, and the spice mix. Stir, and cook for two minutes to extract the flavors.

4) Add the stock and the rest of the ingredients. Drink the remaining beer. Stir until well blended. Simmer on medium for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust as needed. Divide it in half and use half to mop the meat when cooking. Use the remainder to splash on the meat when you serve it.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS

Last edited by Smoking Piney; 10-18-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Smoking Piney is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott

KC Style Sweet Sauce - from book Low and Slow

2 Cups Ketchup
3/4 Cup Molasses - MORE if you like it SWEET
1 - 8 oz Can Tomato Sauce
1/3 Cup Chopped Onion
3 TBL Brown Sugar
2 TBL Worcestershire Sauce
1 Lemon - juiced
1 TBL Garlic - minced
1 TBL Kosher Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper - freshly ground
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper - MORE if you like it HOT

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For beef,if cooked right,you do not need any.If you just like to add sauce because you like sauce on beef,1/3 A-1,1/3 Heinz 57,1/3 Heinz Memphis Sweet & Spicy.Tastes better than it sounds.I used to be able to get Cattleman's Steakhouse.Best I ever tasted on beef( if needed).Cannot find it anymore.Much easier than making your own.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2018, 02:44 AM   #8
TexArlina BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Sweet n sticky sauce

1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
Salt
1/4 cup dark rum
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups water
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons hot sauce

Step 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, onion, green pepper and a large pinch of salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the rum and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the chili powder, black pepper, allspice and cloves and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the brown sugar, water, ketchup, molasses, mustard, vinegar and hot sauce and simmer over moderate heat, stirring often, until thickened, about 30 minutes.

Step 2
Transfer the barbecue sauce to a large food processor and puree. Season the sauce with salt.

This is our favorite. Years ago I started skipping cooking the onions, peppers, and garlic and just started below that. Not a lot of difference that I can tell and cuts down on prep. I still add garlic. With or without the rum is great. I normally split into two batches and spice up one with pepper of choice.
TexArlina BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #9
Deanr
Knows what a fatty is.

It sounds like you should start with a sauce that doesn't have any type of tomato for a base. Try some of the mustard based sauces.

For ribs I use a finishing sauce that is 1/3 yellow mustard, 1/3 vinegar and 1/3 brown sugar. Try starting with this and modify as you wish. Last time I added some vanilla flavored whiskey that was sitting on the counter and it was a pretty good as a sauce.
Deanr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
jbelson
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanr View Post
It sounds like you should start with a sauce that doesn't have any type of tomato for a base. Try some of the mustard based sauces.

For ribs I use a finishing sauce that is 1/3 yellow mustard, 1/3 vinegar and 1/3 brown sugar. Try starting with this and modify as you wish. Last time I added some vanilla flavored whiskey that was sitting on the counter and it was a pretty good as a sauce.
I have a good pork sauce that I'm happy with: mustard, vinegar, honey base. would like to come up with a rib, or even beef sauce.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:22 AM   #11
Badjak
is one Smokin' Farker

Raichlen has quite a nice book about sauces and marinades.
It's been revised recently, but the old version is pretty decent as well and you should be able to pick it up for next to nothing ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Barbecue-Sauc...40_&dpSrc=srch

Old 10-20-2018, 12:44 AM   #12
LYU370

Shack Attack! Or if you like it spicier, replace the paprika with cayenne and you get Tide Water Thin. Good Stuff!

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2018, 04:28 AM   #13
IamMadMan

The major hurdle in creating a good BBQ sauce is that it is too subjective to our own individual tastes. I am sure that five different tasters could sample the same product at the same time and give you five completely different reviews. Regional and ethnic tastes are the greatest variables in our own personal likes and dislikes. There are also so many different sauces to choose from, much like choosing a wine, many styles, many regions, and many twists.

We have all tasted the simple BBQ sauce afforded us as our only choices at the local grocery store, thinking that this is what BBQ Sauce is all about. You will find that most commercial BBQ sauces bought at the grocery store are very sweet and thick. They contain a lot of high fructose corn syrup because it is a cheap sweetener and it makes a great volume filler in the recipe. Most commercial producers are more concerned with higher profits and stock margins than they are with producing a really good BBQ sauce. Many of these commercial sauces can be overloaded with water, corn syrup, cheap spices, hot pepper, or liquid smoke in order to give them some semblance of a BBQ taste in the mouth.

Many people think these national brands are the only sauces in the world. This is especially true in areas where real BBQ is scarce or even non existent. I'm not saying they are bad, but if you have never tasted a great BBQ sauce, you really have nothing to compare them with.

I find it best to step outside the realm of grocery store nationally branded BBQ sauces. While regional and local sauces can sometimes be found in chain grocery stores, they are still scarce in selections. Many HEB stores (Texas), and Wegman's stores (North Eastern US) carry some local favorites. I am sure there are many other stores throughout the different regions of our country that also carry local sauces as well. Other stores like "Trader Joe's" will taste test their products before they commit to sell them. "Trader Joe's" and "Whole Foods" strive to provide a better and a different product than those offered by the larger chain stores in the area.

Just because you find a local sauce, doesn't necessarily mean it will be good. The popularity of a name and good marketing tools can also be deceiving when selecting a sauce. Marketing tools; like using a TV food star's name to sell a sauce is based solely on the celebrities recognition. Some of these sauces may have a slight nature to BBQ, but many are simply designed to add flavor when meat is cooked in an oven and not on a pit. Sometimes they add ingredients that have no benefit to the taste of the meat when cooked in a smoker because they are simply designed to add some smoke flavor to oven roasted meat.

Many chain stores are reluctant to carry local favorites because of the diversified tastes among their customers. They rely on nationally recognized brands as their product to sell, thus giving the basic choice that conditions most people into that narrow view of BBQ as that sweet and sticky sauce. I am not saying that the commercial sauces are bad, I am suggesting to just step outside the box from time to time to try something different.

Try a local favorite, or try a sauce made by a competition team. Many teams and famous restaurants have their sauces bottled and they sell them to the public and even make them available on the internet. Just because some teams compete in BBQ competitions doesn't mean that they have a great sauce either, but at the least, it may be better than the grocery store alternative. Don't be afraid to try some sauces from other regions of our country like "Carolina Mustard Sauce", "Alabama White Sauce", or "Tennessee Red Sauce". There are so many choices available; you just have to be willing to look for them. Just like national brands, local favorites are also subjective to our individual likes and dislikes.

Another alternative to national brands is to make your own BBQ sauce. I think if people knew how simple it was to make a basic BBQ sauce, they would cease to purchase some of them at the store. Some pit masters even make a base sauce and mix it with a commercial sauce to add layers of flavors as well as to cut back on the sweetness. Others take the commercial sauces and thin them with things like apple juice or peach nectar, while others even mix two (or more) different types of sauces to try and achieve a balance and layer the flavors within the sauce.

Basic Brethren BBQ Sauces.

Here is a collection of BBQ-Brethren BBQ Sauce recipes posted over the years.

These are not my recipes, although I have tried many of them. In most cases, the original post link is listed below the name of the sauce recipe.

================================================== =============

1948 Original Barbecue Sauce - Posted by Bludawg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...00&postcount=4

1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 can (14.5 ounce size) whole tomatoes
1 can (8 ounce size) tomato sauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 fresh celery leaves, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons molasses
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 slices lemon

Saute onion and garlic in butter in a saucepan until tender.

Stir in tomatoes and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes; stir occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaf and lemon slices

2010 NJ State Championship BBQ Sauce - posted by Mister Bob
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...14&postcount=5

This is a great BBQ sauce! Hot, sweet and savory, all at the same time.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small shallot fine diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 red bell pepper fine diced
1-1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup apple juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup cherry preserves

Heat vegetable oil on low in a medium sauce pan until it just begins to shimmer. Add shallots, garlic and bell pepper and cook until tender (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently. Add all but the last three ingredients and bring to a low boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, honey and preserves. Mix with a plunge blender until sauce is silky smooth. Can be used immediately or stored for up to one month in the refrigerator.

ACE HIGH BARBECUE SAUCE - Posted by Bludawg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...31&postcount=4

1 cup strong coffee
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups onions, chopped
4 tablespoons chopped red chile peppers
6 garlic cloves, minced

In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine coffee, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, chopped onions, finely chopped red chile peppers, and minced garlic cloves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
Process in a blender or food processor until smooth. Refrigerate.

All Purpose BBQ Sauce - Posted by Big Brother Smoke
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=31

256 oz. Ketchup (2 cans)
¼ cup your favorite rub (I use Sweet and Spicy)
1 quart Apple Sauce
10 oz. Apple Butter
1 cup Apple Cider
2 cup Apple Juice
1 cup Honey
¼ Garlic Powder
1/ 4 cup Onion Powder
1/8 cup Oregano
1/8 Thyme
½ cup Yellow Mustard
1/8 cup red pepper flakes

Bring to a boil and let sit in the pot for about 12 hours or until cool before storing.

This is a good base sauce and you can doctor it easily (I always do based on my mood) with brown sugar for more of a sweetener; cayenne for heat; red food color or caramel food color for more of a mahogany thing. If you need more smoke flavor use cumin.

American Legion Post BBQ Sauce - Posted by 1FUNVET
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=45

3/4 cup peach preserves
1/2 cup Jack Daniels (or any sour mash bourbon)
1/3 cup raspberry or other fruit vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons Crystal hot sauce( or any brand hot sauce)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
In a small saucepan,combine all ingredients except hot sauce. Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often, until slightly thickened,about 10 minutes. Stir in hot sauce to taste.Can be made up to a month ahead and refrigerated. Reheat before using.

Bill Wilson's BBQ Sauce - Posted by Infernoo
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=66

16 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tbs molasses
2 tbs brown sugar (Use more if desired.)
2 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs black pepper
1 tbs Paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 – 2 tsp chili powder (adjust for required heat. Go light, you can always add more.)
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
1 tsp salt
2 tbs corn starch

Cooking instructions:

Using a low heat, bring slowly to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook 5-15 minutes more if thicker sauce is what you prefer. Take off and allow to cool. Bottle and refrigerate – overnight is best. Keep refrigerated. Will last for weeks, if you have any left, that is.

Now, I’ll often make 3 batches of this at once, and tweak 2 of them with differing levels of heat (extra chili powder or habenero sauce), extra sweetness, or extra spices. A 1/2 cup of whiskey can also add some bite.

Honey Apple BBQ Sauce - Posted by Bludawg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...9&postcount=10

1 large apple cored skinned & chopped
1/2 small onion chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup - light brown sugar
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbs molasses
3 tbs lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika

process on high in blender simmer to desired thickness

Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce - posted by hmacmill
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=46

2 cups Ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup Firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons Molasses
1/4 cup White vinegar
1-1/2 tsp Celery seeds
1-1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Black pepper finely ground
1 tsp Cumin, ground
1/2 tbsp Onion powder
1/2 tsp Chipotle powder

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Lake Dogs BBQ Sauce
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=11

55oz+- Contadina Tomato Sauce
28oz Steens Pure Cane Syrup
18oz Bama Grape Jelly
6oz Lee & Perins Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder

Mix all of the above and warm. We use this on chicken.

For pork and beef:

1 part Blues Hog Original
1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
3 parts our sauce (above)

For ribs:

2 parts Blues Hog Original
1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
2 parts our sauce

Lexington Style Finishing Sauce - by SirPorkalot
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...96&postcount=1

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or up to 1 tablespoon, if you like hotter sauce)
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together and let sit 10 minutes. Add to chopped barbecue when hot to season the meat and keep it from drying out.

Old School Kansas City Barbecue Basting/Mop Recipe - By Boshizzle
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...02&postcount=1

The Evening Public Ledger of October 20, 1920 printed an article written by Mrs. M.A. Wilson entitled Mrs. Wilson Describes an Olden Kansas Barbecue. In the article she shared this old Kansas City Barbecue Basting/Mop recipe.

1/2 cup of bacon fat
7 TBS of vinegar
1 Tsp of sugar
3 TBS of grated onion
Tiny bit of garlic

Add to 2/3 cup of boiling water and mix well. Keep liquid warm and baste the meat with the liquid as the meat is being barbecued.

If you try it, you may have to scale it up a bit.

Old Virginia Barbecue Seasoning - By Boshizzle
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...04&postcount=1

1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1/4 cup water
3 TBS peanut oil or soybean oil
2 TBS currant jelly
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes

Bring all ingredients to a slow simmer, stir well, cool. Use as a basting sauce for barbecuing meats. Also use as a sauce by lightly drizzling it on barbecue before serving.

Old Virginia Red BBQ Sauce - By Boshizzle
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...11&postcount=1

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup water
2 TBS yellow mustard
1.5 TBS Kosher salt
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS paprika (don't use a spicy hot variety; I prefer a bright red Spanish paprika)
1-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp fine ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
Dash ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Add ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmer stirring often. Let sauce simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, remove from heat, cool, and serve. Store in the refrigerator. It gets better after a couple of days too.

Pappys Sauce - Posted by Bludawg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...11&postcount=1

1/2 cup of cider vinegar
1 cup of salsa (blended)
1 cup of beef drippins or Lonestar Beer
6 Tbl sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp mexia chili powder
1 TBS New Mexico chili powder
1 tsp black pepper

simmer 15 min

Patio Daddio BBQ Sauce - Posted by Patio Daddio
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...50&postcount=1

12 oz Chili sauce (I use Heinz)
6 oz Tomato paste
2/3 cup Water
3/4 cup Dark brown sugar (or 1/2 cup regular sugar plus 1/4 cup molasses)
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (I use Lea & Perrins)
1/2 cup Unrefined evaporated cane sugar
1/3 cup Apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp Yellow mustard (I use French's)
2 tsp Kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp Granulated onion (not onion powder)
1 tsp Granulated garlic (not garlic powder)
1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
1/4 tsp Black pepper, ground fresh
1/4 tsp Ground chipotle chile
1/8 tsp Cinnamon

Combine all of the ingredients in a large sauce pan.

Bring the sauce just to a boil, whisking occasionally.

Reduce the heat to medium-low.

Simmer about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced by about 1/4.

Remove the pan from the heat and the sauce let cool to room temperature.

Ray's BBQ Sauce - posted by Lake Dogs
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=42

1 Quart Twelve Oaks Colored Vinegar (no substitutes)
1 Pint Ketchup
2 T Salt
1 T Black Pepper
1 tsp Ground Red Pepper
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
Juice from 1 Lemon

Mix in pot and bring to boil, stir to keep from sticking.
Let cool, put in storage container and refrigerate.

===============================================

Ray Lampe's(DR. BBQ) Mustard Sauce
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=13

3/4 Cup Yellow Mustard
3/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
1/2 Tsp. Soy Sauce
1/2 Tsp. Tabasco Sauce

1-1/2 Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper (optional)
1 Tsp. White Pepper (optional)

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

Shack BBQ Sauce - By Boshizzle
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...42&postcount=1

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces total.

The story behind Shackleford Pounds

South Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce - Posted by Wampus
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=36

1 tbs butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup Dijon mustard
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tbs hot sauce (I use Tobasco usually, or other "Louisiana style" sauce
1/2 cup water
Course salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper

Melt butter in saucepan.
Add onion and garlic and cook intil soft, but NOT brown (about 3 min).
Stir in mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and hot sauce and water.
Let simmer, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, 6 to 10 min.
Taste for seasoning, add S&P or more hot sauce to taste.
Let sauce cool to room temp before serving

Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce - Posted by Bludawg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...86&postcount=6

Ingredients
1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
Directions
Stir together first 8 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Remove from heat, and stir in butter and Wostershire sauce.

Texas Red Sauce - Posted by Bludawg
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...31&postcount=4

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup or chili sauce
1 cup *water
6 Tbl *white sugar
2 tsp salt
2 Tsp chili powder (Guajillo powder, chile d'arbol powder, and ground cumin)
1 tsp back pepper
1 Tbl New mexico chili powder
1 Tbl paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce

In a microwavable bowl or large measuring cup combine vinegar, water, sugar and spices.
Heat on high 1 min stir to dissolve sugar allow to cool 20 min. stir in ketchup and bottle.
Allow to sit at least 4 hrs or overnight.

* use beef stock or brisket drippins and cut the sugar by 2/3 if desired for beef
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:15 AM   #14
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

I started with Aaron Franklins basic bbq sauce. I’ve since modified it to make it my own, sort of. People really seem to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #15
jbelson
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks IAMMADMAN. That is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
I started with Aaron Franklins basic bbq sauce. I’ve since modified it to make it my own, sort of. People really seem to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried that sauce first and didn't think it was that great. Tasted like flavored Ketchup .
A couple of the ketchup based sauces have been that way for me.