MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #46
HOBONICHOLBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
Does your DC have the 2-piece or 1 piece drip pan? If you've got the 2-piece, your temps and overall performance of the unit will be inconsistent as the 2-piece doesn't work well in this little unit. The 1 piece pan that GMG sells for $10 greatly improves performance and even temps. BTW, my DC is loud and lets out a mini-scream when it feeds. However, my Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie (I used to have) were quiet.
Mine came with the one piece. My left to right temps betwixed the probes was about 5-10 degrees. I am not sure when they made the switch but if my memory serves right my unit was built in late 2017 according to the paperwork.
HOBONICHOLBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #47
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBONICHOLBBQ View Post
Mine came with the one piece. My left to right temps betwixed the probes was about 5-10 degrees. I am not sure when they made the switch but if my memory serves right my unit was built in late 2017 according to the paperwork.
Good that you got the 1-piece! I believe the two piece, even in the closed position, let too much hot air up through the holes which often caused uneven cooking, burned bottoms, and crispy edges. The 5-10 degree variation you have is very good. If you want to experiment, note the exact position of your heat shield now and next time move it slightly to the left or right (probably start with right) as movement left or right can affect the even temps. I have my heat shield all the way to the right and try to make sure the drip pan is evenly positioned from front to back (if I remember). On my last cook, I forgot to double check the position of my drip pan and it was pushed a little to the rear and the front of the cooker ran a little hotter than the rear. Not too big of a deal, but I was able to see the difference.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #48
Randy3269
is one Smokin' Farker

All this talk has me making a Christmas list....Now to go look at the "Where do you buy pellets thread.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #49
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy3269 View Post
All this talk has me making a Christmas list....Now to go look at the "Where do you buy pellets thread.
You're welcome. Tell the wife it really isn't your fault...peer pressure on this site is for real!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #50
SmittyJonz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Old 10-24-2018, 12:49 AM   #51
pjtexas1

Couldn't find this anywhere. Saw it at Atwoods today.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 10-24-2018, 01:29 AM   #52
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I don't know anything about their pellet cookers, but I bought a Smoke Hollow offset from Sams about 10 years ago. It was the biggest POS, I have ever had. They used to be based out of Missouri, but I think it is all built overseas now. I would do some serious research, before buying.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #53
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBONICHOLBBQ View Post
I ran two probes each at about the 1/3 mark. I agree with you that where the stock location is was probably accurate. I just don't cook 1/2" from the left wall. LOL. I only brought it up so others would be aware and know it is adjustable.
It may vary by manufadture but I've always thought that the intent was to "calibrate" it to approximate the reading at the center of the grate. On mine (at least a few years back when I'd checked it) it was quite accurate. I've always wanted to try the same test in the winter and see if I get a different result as I would guess that there has to be more variation across the chamber when the shell is at 20 degrees than 85.

If I'm wrong then I'm even more impressed with how even the heat is in the cook chamber is on my grill.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #54
HOBONICHOLBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweverett View Post
It may vary by manufadture but I've always thought that the intent was to "calibrate" it to approximate the reading at the center of the grate. On mine (at least a few years back when I'd checked it) it was quite accurate. I've always wanted to try the same test in the winter and see if I get a different result as I would guess that there has to be more variation across the chamber when the shell is at 20 degrees than 85.

If I'm wrong then I'm even more impressed with how even the heat is in the cook chamber is on my grill.
I put the probes there to see what the left / right difference was. I think it was like 8 degrees. At that point I don't worry too much. The difference between the high on my probes and what the cooker probe was reading was the 50 degree difference. That's why I calibrated the cooker probe just so I had an idea of where the temp was really at.
HOBONICHOLBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #55
ironbrew
Knows what a fatty is.

How well does the Davey Crocket do with Pizza and searing?

I have a Kamado Joe, but for the quick cooks, I'm missing my grill, but... liking the idea of the wifi in the DC that would allow me to be inside when it is colder here (right now it's around 0C or freezing and sometimes gets down to the -40 mark).

The other thing I'd like to know is can I use my Amaze'n to cold smoke with this unit? Or is it more like a gas grill and not too suitable?

Thanks
ironbrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #56
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrew View Post

I have a Kamado Joe, but for the quick cooks, I'm missing my grill, but... liking the idea of the wifi in the DC that would allow me to be inside when it is colder here (right now it's around 0C or freezing and sometimes gets down to the -40 mark).

The other thing I'd like to know is can I use my Amaze'n to cold smoke with this unit? Or is it more like a gas grill and not too suitable?

Thanks
The pellet tube/ tray smokers are commonly used in pellet smokers for hot and cold smoking. Pellet cookers are great for pizza as long as they can get to at least 400 deg. For searing you have 2 options. Get a Unit that can do direct grilling or get some grill grates or a cast iron pan for conductive searing.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #57
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrew View Post

Thanks

Pizza on the dc is fine...size is limiting factor

For proper searing you will need grill grates.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #58
pjtexas1

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/members-ma...lp_product_1_1