MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #12286
bowhunter149
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinmur View Post
I made UDS to run like pbc.. Rods are inside barrel and not going through wall of drum...use a locking ring to seal top and have 4 3/4 in outlet holes... Works great.. Cooked 90 lbs of briskets by be able to hang them.
Do you wrap after internal of 165 to finish or just hang until done?
bowhunter149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #12287
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker

Fighting the wind today, make shift exhaust and intake block

image.jpg
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #12288
TXLX
Full Fledged Farker

Intake wind block

image.jpg
TXLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #12289
wastnawayagn
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLX View Post
Fighting the wind today, make shift exhaust and intake block

Attachment 105126
Good idea. Work with what you got!
wastnawayagn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #12290
b.m.
Knows what a fatty is.

I've been reading this thread for a while, probably close to month now. I only created an account so I can see the pics.

I just finished my UDS using, mostly, the Big Poppa Smokers kit and a SS barrel I bought locally. I use the term "finished" loosly, as it is in a cooking state, but I already have future upgrades in mind (2nd rack, heat diffuser, side table, wheels, etc...).

I was wondering how hard it would, be or even if anyone was up to the task, of creating a UDS wiki website. There is a LOT of duplicate (or more) information in this thread. Generally speaking, a 12,000+ post thread is a very inefficient method of storing information.

I have the vision, but not the time nor resources to undertake such a project.

BM
b.m. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #12291
wdpope1
Got Wood.

well now that I have read this post upto 4000 +and have everything together I have stated my UDS
growned outside edge of lid with grinder after 3/4 way around lid was seperating from drum
lid fits tight
sandblasted rust inhibiter liner and outside took a whole 35 mins
drilled with step bit 4 - 1" holes it does get cold here in Ohio ( I grill year round )
followed all the advice from nebies to The Pro-Guru~s for my fire basket and grill ht
got to grease up indide after I find some Lard then fire it up with brickets for test burn
hope I can post some pick of my first fattie sacrifice and of course I Love Pork Butt and I can Not LIE
wdpope1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #12292
jaimehelm
Found some matches.

So I'm actually on page 239 of this thread but I feel like it's gotten to the point where it's just new people asking questions that have already been answered. So I'm going to ask a questions that probably have been asked before haha.

The picture I posted is a baking rack. I thought it would work perfect for the base of my charcoal basket. It has a lift of 3" on it already which I liked. My question on that is do you think I'll be struggling with my ash falling threw? More than usual? I only plan on using briquettes and realize you already have to kick it or shake it at times to get the ash off from time to time but wonder if this will enhance blockage?

Other question is about my 55 gallon drum. It was an open top, but my kettle lid non weber would only fit perfectly on the bottom end. I had read earlier in this thread someone had opened the bottom used it as the top and used the now bottom with removable lid as kinda an easy access to clean out the bottom and such. So I proceeded to remove my base and a few more hundred or so pages later I read one guy didn't like this approach because it made his intake air hard to control, and another guy liked it and said after awhile the seasoned drum will plug up any cracks or leaks. I believe what the guy said about a seasoned drum but that kind of defeats the purpose of having an easy access clean out base if you never open it. I guess my question is if anyone still uses this approach or has tried it and their opinions or suggestions on it.

BTW, thanks for all of the great info I already have from this thread. I have a crap ton of notes. I do plan on reading more from page 239, it's kind of like a good book, hard to quit once you get started!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141224_104210.jpg (76.2 KB, 650 views)
jaimehelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #12293
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

That should work fine, but you will probably have to brace the legs, they look like they could fold on you. I built mine "upside-down", but I also welded on an outer lip that the the lid fits into, to avoid the drips down the outside that you get with the lid sitting on the outside of the drum. Good luck!!

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #12294
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbossJB;3123763I also welded on an outer lip that the the lid fits into, [U
to avoid the drips down the outside that you get with the lid sitting on the outside of the drum[/U]. Good luck!!
That adds to the ugly, doesn't it?

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #12295
jaimehelm
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbossJB View Post
That should work fine, but you will probably have to brace the legs, they look like they could fold on you. I built mine "upside-down", but I also welded on an outer lip that the the lid fits into, to avoid the drips down the outside that you get with the lid sitting on the outside of the drum. Good luck!!
Did you also weld the bottom shut or does it not really effect your cooks? I was thinking about putting a stove gasket in the rim to replace that gasket they come with. Worried that may get all dirty/greasy though.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #12296
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

jaimehelm,

Mine has a band that attaches the "lid" and it seals just fine. It makes it very easy to clean out.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #12297
jaimehelm
Found some matches.

Right on, that's what I have as well. Good to hear! I'm pretty excited about getting mine done, but the wife says to quit messin with it until after Christmas haha.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #12298
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimehelm View Post
The picture I posted is a baking rack. I thought it would work perfect for the base of my charcoal basket. It has a lift of 3" on it already which I liked. My question on that is do you think I'll be struggling with my ash falling threw? More than usual? I only plan on using briquettes and realize you already have to kick it or shake it at times to get the ash off from time to time but wonder if this will enhance blockage?
Like mentioned, those "legs" should be at least braced. If you end up filling your coal basket as most of us do, it will weight quite a bit depending on the size of your basket and you wouldn't want that thing tipping over. IMHO I used 2 grates before on the bottom of my coal baskets to stop the small pieces from falling thru. I have since removed the cross grates as it does inhibit ash fall thru. I don't care about the small pieces falling thru anymore as I can cook for 15+ hrs and not have to kick/nudge the drum to assist in ash fall thru. I never have to touch it during any smoke/cook ever.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2014, 12:35 AM   #12299
jaimehelm
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Like mentioned, those "legs" should be at least braced. If you end up filling your coal basket as most of us do, it will weight quite a bit depending on the size of your basket and you wouldn't want that thing tipping over. IMHO I used 2 grates before on the bottom of my coal baskets to stop the small pieces from falling thru. I have since removed the cross grates as it does inhibit ash fall thru. I don't care about the small pieces falling thru anymore as I can cook for 15+ hrs and not have to kick/nudge the drum to assist in ash fall thru. I never have to touch it during any smoke/cook ever.
I had originally planned to tie the supports down to a pizza pan. Have been debating if I still wanted to do that since I'll be able to open the bottom up for easy cleaning. Not very expensive and easy to do so I don't see why I couldn't still do that. That was my original thought as well with the tight boxed pattern on the baking rack, that it'd let less Charcoal fall threw but didn't think about the ash. Still pretty new to this all so I'm learning quite a bit all the time. I already have it tied to some expanded metal I did real fast yesterday. So I guess I will be finding out how well it works hopefully sooner than later!

I have to burn a painted on liner still though. I'm hoping it's not one of the hard liners.. Has a kind of burnt redish orange look to it. My next drum will be a unlined former oil container. Another thing I kinda jumped the gun on and bought early in the process of reading this thread.

Also curious as to what kind of charcoal you use?

Old 12-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #12300
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimehelm View Post
Also curious as to what kind of charcoal you use?
Everyone has their favorite. I only use lump for high temp cooks anymore as I do not like all the dust and waste I get in every brand of lump I have ever tried. And really hate the pieces of non coal that I get in about 1/3 of them. Embers briquettes are the easiest for me to acquire, fairly cheap ( made by Royal Oak ) I really like Stubbs but it can be tough to find on a weekly basis. The Embers and Stubbs bags are smaller than some of the other brands which I also prefer, just easier for me to wrestle around ( had surgery on both hands).
Use what you like, try out different brands both lump and briquettes to see. You can't go wrong with either, you will just find what you prefer after awhile.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker