Help with Duck and Goose!

pdiller81173

Reaction score
Hello all,

Helped a friend who owns a farm butcher some geese and ducks last weekend. Ended up bringing home a duck and goose to try to smoke. Not sure how to attack them as never cooked one before. Thoughts?

Brine?
Inject?
Rub?
Wood to use?
Temp?
Anything else?

THANKS!

Hello all,

Helped a friend who owns a farm butcher some geese and ducks last weekend. Ended up bringing home a duck and goose to try to smoke. Not sure how to attack them as never cooked one before. Thoughts?

Brine?
Inject?
Rub?
Wood to use?
Temp?
Anything else?

THANKS!

Thanks for asking the question, I'll be following the thread closely. I was given a few ducks a while back, and they've been sitting in my freezer ever since. I'm not quite sure how to approach them properly either!

Since moving to the lake I have an unlimited supply of Canadians at arms length and more than once have considered making a boy scout box trap and poaching one of the noisy, messy bastards and throw it on the Weber.
Pretty sure you'll want higher heat than smoking, I would think hot and fast with some wood for flavor.
Pictures of your cook would be fantastic.
Ed

I'm an avid waterfowl hunter here in Nebraska. ModelMaker is spot on. I typically breast them out and treat them like steaks. I've found that grilling them to a medium rare (slightly pink) yields the same results as a great filet. For the duck breasts, I normally wrap in bacon and skewer because they are smaller.

Since these are farm raised, maybe you can get away with smoking it. But, for wild birds the breasts are about the only thing I care to eat. Good luck and do let us know how it goes!

High heat like 300 degrees will get you these results. Internal temp of 140 degrees for the duck. No brine or inject. Little olive oil and light rub will yield some tasty fowl! Also use a fruitwood. Apple, Cherry etc..Hope this helps brother...Just keep higher temp in smoker and you will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
High heat like 300 degrees will get you these results. Internal temp of 140 degrees for the duck. No brine or inject. Little olive oil and light rub will yield some tasty fowl! Also use a fruitwood. Apple, Cherry etc..Hope this helps brother...Just keep higher temp in smoker and you will be fine.

That looks phenomenal! I'll have to get one of my ducks out of the freezer and give that a go in the PBC.

Thank you brethren for the input. It is going to be a couple weeks before I get a chance to cook them but will update everyone when I do.

Back