MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #8581
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipW View Post
As long as you're know the 3/4" is the inside diameter. Actually, it's more like .8125" ID for a regular threaded black pipe nipple from the home center.
You also have to make sure your ball valves are full port...you can purchase half port ball valves which will cut back on your air intake. I have 3 full port 3/4" ball valves, 1 shut, 1 full open and 1 half open to maintain 220ish. Good Luck!
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #8582
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliku View Post
Thanks all for the advice given. The drill was indeed 2 cm, so i guess the inside of the air intake is a bit smaller.
First thing after work will be getting new vents, and a bigger single exhaust on the top.
Will post again with pics on v1.1 of my UDS :-)

Thanks !
I would try a burn with the 3 intake valves removed and the exhaust wide open! I bet it would go over 350 just my 2c

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #8583
Drumbum77
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So I recently built one and have a few questions. The UDS is amazing at holding temps and is very easy to use, but the food has been okay.

How long does it take to one of these to get seasoned? I did the Pam coating, smoking, and repeated the process. I have cooked two butts, four chickens, and it's got kind of a metal taste. Also....this thing is already filthy! How often are ya'll cleaning these things and how? One more question....will coating the I side of the drum with bacon grease help?

Thank ya'll!
Drumbum77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #8584
hendunesia
Got rid of the matchlight.

My build is done, first smoke today...... im nervous:

Whole Chicken, Pork Shoulder and Moinks. I am just winging it.
hendunesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #8585
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Just finished the UDS build yesterday. Smoked my first fatty this morning. Applewood smoked bacon, Bob Evans sausage, smoked gouda and sweet bell peppers. Turned out great. I need a little better seal to control temps, but was happy.

The top of the UDS is the bottom of a weber. I am thinking of cutting the lid and mounting it inside the UDS as a lip for the bottom to sit on. I like the bottom better than the top since I think I will have less of a hot spot with the wider open top vents. Plus I like how this looks a little more than just the standard lid.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. It took me about 2 weeks to read all the threads. Awesome work! Not sure why my pics are just links......sorry.....

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...n/DSC_0846.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...n/DSC_0840.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m506/twelvegaugepump/Food%20Pron/DSC_0841.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m506/twelvegaugepump/Food%20Pron/DSC_0857.jpg

Last edited by Twelvegaugepump; 09-05-2011 at 12:23 PM..
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #8586
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Does anybody have an MSDS on the red epoxy liner used in barrels? It's used in food grade barrels and extreme heat and most chemicals won't touch it. The only way to remove it is through agressive abrasive action. Once it's coated with a layer of grease and smoke and kept below 500 degrees is it really dangerous? Yes, I've read the entire thread but have not seen any references to an MSDS for the liner. Honestly, it seems more stable than Teflon/Silverstone/etc.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #8587
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post
Does anybody have an MSDS on the red epoxy liner used in barrels? It's used in food grade barrels and extreme heat and most chemicals won't touch it. The only way to remove it is through agressive abrasive action. Once it's coated with a layer of grease and smoke and kept below 500 degrees is it really dangerous? Yes, I've read the entire thread but have not seen any references to an MSDS for the liner. Honestly, it seems more stable than Teflon/Silverstone/etc.
Hey Paul,

I had the same question, and I looked and looked a while back, but all I could find are the MSDS on the actual liner material when it is applied in liquid form....not once it is a solid coating.

My initial thought was that this stuff was so tough that it wouldn't be a problem. But I have since started building smokers to sell, and I don't want to endanger anyone else. You could build one, and just burn in it a few times without any food, and see how it holds up. If it makes it through 10 burns with no peeling or color change, I would think it would be good to go.

I have since found unlined re-conditioned barrels near my home for $32, so I just get those. Takes the liner and the cleaning of a barrel out of the equation.

Dave
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #8588
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Summarizing questions from people.

Hi guys.. just browsing and saw some interesting maybe unanswered questions.

tuliku - Post #8141 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=8141) explains a lot with air flow and I put in there area of a circle chart. Please note that the chart is about controlling the INTAKES. Always leave your Exhaust fully opened, once you have figured out how many holes and how big you need. You can use the calculations and convert to metric system. In general, if you have three 3/4 inch holes you would have a total of 1.33 inches squared for the intake, and for exhaust you should have about pi inches or 3.14 inches squared, which you'd get from the typical 2 inch hole in the lid.
Adding some chimney pipe helps a lot to create the draft to pull. It will burn more coals though, however getting high heat will not be a problem.

tuliku !! When you mention that you only got to 120 degrees, are you by chance reporting in Centigrade? That would be ~248 degrees Fahrenheit. This actually seems very typical.

hankll - burn it out! especially the one that had antifreeze. Clean it with something like dish soap at least, or something like alcohol-based cleaner.

hankll & Drumbum77 - Then BURN it out at a high temp, close lid, should do like a good 400 degrees for an hour at least? Or just let it finish the fuel. (any kind of wood helps create lots of heat. Be careful! not too much!)

Then when it cools, if you don't smell any chemicals, rub the whole thing down with cooking oil and then burn it again, but this time with wood you would cook with to produce a good amount of smoke. Let this smoke for all day again. It should hit 350 degrees for half an hour during this phase. Doing this will create a really NICE coating of blackness that will be somewhat hard and protect both the drum and your food from anything left over inside the barrel.

My friend did this with his drum using olive oil and it came it amazing. Looks as if he carmalized it inside.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #8589
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
If you have a large square or rectangular magnet, you can just place it over neighboring holes to cover more than one. And I'm talking about one of those flexible magnets, like you might put on your refrigerator. Maybe some business send them to you for advertisement. They are usually not rigid magnets.
Just for the record, I tried the flexible magnets and they DO NOT work. They all seem to fall off once the smoker gets warm. So the small rigid, thick magnets is what I'm using with 1/2 inch holes. And for times when I have larger holes than I wanted (like the 1 inch holes for the 3/4 inch nipples) I used "bushings" to get the open diameter down to 1/2 inch. Was an easy fix.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #8590
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

I use speaker magnets to cover 2" intakes. Work perfectly, no behind the drum screwing around, and adjustable with a toe.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #8591
tuliku

Quote:
Originally Posted by coewar View Post
Hi guys.. just browsing and saw some interesting maybe unanswered questions.

tuliku - Post #8141 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=8141) explains a lot with air flow and I put in there area of a circle chart. Please note that the chart is about controlling the INTAKES. Always leave your Exhaust fully opened, once you have figured out how many holes and how big you need. You can use the calculations and convert to metric system. In general, if you have three 3/4 inch holes you would have a total of 1.33 inches squared for the intake, and for exhaust you should have about pi inches or 3.14 inches squared, which you'd get from the typical 2 inch hole in the lid.
Adding some chimney pipe helps a lot to create the draft to pull. It will burn more coals though, however getting high heat will not be a problem.

tuliku !! When you mention that you only got to 120 degrees, are you by chance reporting in Centigrade? That would be ~248 degrees Fahrenheit. This actually seems very typical.
Thanks a lot, the chart looks quite useful. I already bought 3x 3/4 inch valves, which are almost twice the size of what i have now at the bottom, and will install it tonight. Past few days was constantly raining, therefore the delay.

About the 120 degrees, it was fahrenheit sadly enough :-(

However, tonight another try, and will post the results :-)

Thanks again man
tuliku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #8592
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

About the 120 degrees, it was fahrenheit sadly enough :-(
Wow, that's hard to imagine only 120F. My UDS reaches that temp just sitting out in the sun.
Your environment must be wet and cold.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #8593
tuliku

Currently is it not the hottest time of the year, but also not cold.

As promised, here an update on my situation:

From this:

I made this:

Here you can see the new air intake valves:

And the final result:

There is improvement, but slow....
In a small hour, i went from nothing to to 220 Fahrenheit...

Any idea's ?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #8594
tuliku

Live from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe: Now at a whopping 240 Fahrenheit :-)
(1 hour later)

Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #8595
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Live from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe: Now at a whopping 240 Fahrenheit :-)
(1 hour later)

Have you tried closing the daisy wheel exhaust ?
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker