UDS vents on bottom?

bocephus

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok I have a drum that Im gonna be makin me a new UDS, and I have seen guys with their vents on the bottom of the drum. I was just wondering how well they work.
Do they clog with ash?
and do they drip alot from the fat in meat?
Would you change them if you had the chance?
Thanks alot

No they don't clog if on outside side of drum towards the bottom, if your talking about the bottom of the drum I'd see no resaon to put vents under drum, then I'd say they could clog.
The grease drips on the charcoals so you get the flavor.
Put a grease pan or water pan in drum to catch grease, I couldn't tell the diff in flavor and will help on clean up,

Sorry fellas I guess I should have been more clear. I have seen people with a single intake maybe 2 inch coming from the center of the bottom of the drum, and in the UDS photo gallery you can see one drum with a weber style intake that he made out of a pie pan. I like these ideas, and would like to know any problems with them to see if I should try or not (Again the pie pan one was in the center of the bottom of the drum)

I saw that too I think that was Mark and he used it on an all wood UDS I will look for thread

Hey Bocephus,

I built a couple with the pie pan/weber mod. Ash could be come a problem with a heavy load during a long cook. We have been running this set up for quite some time and have not had any trouble but we did take a short piece of angle iron and set over the intake holes at the bottom just to make sure ash does not get in the holes during long cooks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have another drum in the works and am going to make an ash catcher similar to this center tray on this drawing. This should make clean up easier and still protect the intake from ash buildup.

picture.php

If you do decide to build one like this, PM me and I'll share with you what I've learned and the changes that I'm making on the next drum. I hope to have it done in a few weeks and will post pics then.

hey bocephus,

i built a couple with the pie pan/weber mod. Ash could be come a problem with a heavy load during a long cook. We have been running this set up for quite some time and have not had any trouble but we did take a short piece of angle iron and set over the intake holes at the bottom just to make sure ash does not get in the holes during long cooks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

i have another drum in the works and am going to make an ash catcher similar to this center tray on this drawing. This should make clean up easier and still protect the intake from ash buildup.

picture.php

if you do decide to build one like this, pm me and i'll share with you what i've learned and the changes that i'm making on the next drum. I hope to have it done in a few weeks and will post pics then.
wow!

Hey Bocephus,

I built a couple with the pie pan/weber mod. Ash could be come a problem with a heavy load during a long cook. We have been running this set up for quite some time and have not had any trouble but we did take a short piece of angle iron and set over the intake holes at the bottom just to make sure ash does not get in the holes during long cooks.

If you do decide to build one like this, PM me and I'll share with you what I've learned and the changes that I'm making on the next drum. I hope to have it done in a few weeks and will post pics then.

I've been using one of Davids drums that he made with 2 holes in the bottom, it works great! I haven't used a UDS with a ball valve set up, but I can't imagine it working any better than the holes om the bottom.

Thanks for lettin me use the drum David!

BTW - I really haven't had any issues with ash building up and blocking the hole, but I don't use K either which tends to pack up really bad

Ruht-roh! Me and my big mouth...

I meant to say that it didn't work very well at all and so I scrapped it... I got $2.36 for it.

...My approach may be a tad easier to construct.

I don't know, Mark; that looks pretty simple to me! A step drill or 1" hole saw is the only tool I see that you wouldn't have needed. When he first asked about this, I thought of your build and the diffuser you used. Other than that, I'd say they are pretty comparable. Either way, they are great ideas!

Considering the fact that my drum is relatively thick gauge stainless, it was definitely easier for me to make plunge cuts with a ceramic cut-off wheel rather than drill holes because drilling stainless sucks. Besides, my UDS is a stick burner and I needed more inlet air; which would have meant drilling more holes.

Back