Drum roll for my new drum

motley que

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
took a few ideas from N8man and made this bad boy. only 2 air intakes 1" each. the basket is up on "legs", 1 big mofo exhaust. Managing the air has been tricky. the sucker got up to 280 and with everythign shut down it was at 230 90 minutes later. snuffed out the fire and restarted it, and with 1 valve open and the other closed I am at 210 after 30 minutes.

I also did my beer opener mod. For my side handle I took a weber replacement and threaded it with hanger steel and then bolted it on. I also used a tee nut as a therm probe holder. the magnet I used for air flow was a sticker magnet so i attached to the back of the remote and placed it on the air intake pipe....mistake as the magnet wasnt strong enough. I will look for more high powered magnet to attach.

in addition i drilled/bolted a second set of grate holder holes at 3" from the top. my thought process was that for rib tips, spares, and even some chucks or flats, i could layer without needing a weber lid.

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

Last edited:
now i am dialed in at 224. seems like it still maybe creeping. my mistake before was keeping both vents open full throttle for 30 minutes

Does your wife stand there and shake her head like my wife does? One can never have to many smokers.

Nice! easy to contol air? Whatcha cooking first?

Red paint and the T-nut mod are the highlights for me. LOVE that ghetto paint job...

Does your wife stand there and shake her head like my wife does? One can never have to many smokers.

Hell Yeah. cant understand why i need 2 of each (noahs ark mod)

Red paint and the T-nut mod are the highlights for me. LOVE that ghetto paint job...

paint wasnt meant to look ghetto, i just need more paint, plus i cant paint it even if i tried. I would like it to look good. I got red, I got blue, white is next. The tee nut just is a good way to hold the probe right under the grate and have it be out of the way.

I gotta figure out how to put wheels on it for easy moving. I should just spring for a dolly

Red Rocker Lives!!!

Man!!! I'm jealous over that paint job!!!! Outstanding custom touches w/ the temp probe holder and the chefs hydration enabler device!!!! Here's to good
smokin' in your future!!!!

Looking good Motley :eusa_clap

I'm might mod my drum with your 3" down from the top idea. Did spares yesterday and the bottoms were a little more barky than we like. Figured it was from sitting 24" from the fire?

Or ... sounds like a reason to build a second drum :wink:

I put 3 bolts on each grate. That way, there is no wobbling possible!

T-Nut Install

I have done a search, but do not find exactly how to install the T-Nut. Do you just drill small holes for the tabs and then bend the tabs over on the inside?

Thanks,
George

i just drilled a 1/4" hole and shoved the t-nut through from the outside it doesnt want to come out at all

What a fine piece of engineering. I've only seen a couple vertical drum units, but that one's the slickest.

Can you show us a pick of the fire basket?

What do you do to clean it out after you smoke?

Back