Contest Announcment Battle of the Bones, Central Point OR

Battle of the Bones

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Sanctioned for the first time be KCBS: Battle of the Bones, June 21-23 in Central Point, OR!

Only a $25 entry fee!

$10,000 in cash prizes + payout for People's Choice Sampling (Meat Provided). Whats the catch? All teams must participate in the People's Choice portion and give samples to the public. All the meat and serving items are provided: you need to season, sauce, cook and serve the meat. Teams will receive a payout of $0.20 per sample. What meats and how much?
  • 150 lbs Baby Back Ribs (Friday served 4:00 - 9:00 pm)
  • 160 lbs Beef Brisket (Saturday served 11:00 - 9:00 pm)
  • 150 lbs Baby Back Ribs (Sunday served 12:00 - 4:00 pm)
  • 10 gallons of Chili (prepared Friday to serve all 3 days) the event provides 10 lbs of beef chuck to held with the Chili.

Prize Break Down (Overall Awards):
  • $2000 Grand Champion
  • $1000 Reserve Grand Champion
  • $750 3rd overall
  • $500 4th overall
  • $250 5th overall

Individual Category Prize Payouts - Sanctioned (4 categories)
  • $350 1st
  • $250 2nd
  • $175 3rd
  • $125 4th
  • $100 5th

Combined People's Choice Votes
  • $500 1st
  • $400 2nd
  • $300 3rd
  • $200 4th
  • $100 5th

Payout for People's Choice Sampling: $.20 per sample (Below is a breakdown of estimated payout based on selling out of samples, with correct portions)
  • Baby Back Ribs - 150 lbs - ~1100 Ribs = $220 payout
  • Beef Brisket - 160 lbs - ~1500 (1oz) samples = $300 payout
  • Baby Back Ribs - 150 lbs - ~1100 Ribs = $220 payout
  • Chili - 10 gallons - ~1200 (1oz) samples = $240 payout

Sanctioned turn in times are Sunday morning before People's Choice. (You provide your own meat for the sanctioned turn-ins!)
  • 10:00 am Chicken
  • 10:30 am Pork Ribs
  • 11:00 am Pork
  • 11:30 am Beef Brisket

BBQ Team Amenities
  • On-site Shower
  • Room to camp on site (sorry no RV hookups)
  • Refrigerated trucks provided for your meat (to save on ice)
  • Water and power hook ups for every BBQ Pit

Battle of the Bones BBQ Competition is part of the greater festival being held in our beautiful park. Other event highlights include craft beer, wine, vendors, live music, free kids zone and best of all free entry and parking for the public!

Sarah Garceau
Event Coordinator
(541) 423-1978
BattleoftheBones@gmail.com

http://www.battleofthebones.com/BBQCompetition.html

Attachments

• BBQ Poster and Ap.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • bbq rules peoples choice 2013.pdf
    405 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Currently there are 6 teams signed up, with a few more applications on the way. Is anyone else on the West Coast considering joining us? We are hoping to get 15 teams to be a qualifier.

Most teams don't have the capacity to cook this kind of quantity, and to make it a REQIREMENT to serve this volume precludes most teams from participation. I'm sorry I can't attend your competition catering event as I will be happily attending the Canadian Festival of BBQ and Chili that weekend in beautiful Langley BC.

Last edited:
Interesting... You have a team list?

It was PNWBA sanctioned in 2012 and Home on the Range took GC, and they are the only familiar team on the list. In fact over the last couple years I don't recall seeing any teams cook I recognized. I posted the link on the CBBQA forum last year and don't think anyone was interested either.

If you recall last years Roll Call for the event, the organizers lowered the entry fee, lowered the mandatory PC meats to be cooked to 100 lbs. and solicited advice to make it attractive for cooks to show up -

quote:
Posted - 06/13/2012 : 08:57:32
Teams, we are looking at amending our people's choice rules, so that we can get more of you here. WE NEED to hear from you on what will incentize you to come down to Central Point. Is it the distance, the amount of meat, etc? Can you please contact us here or you can contact me directly at matt.samitore@ :quote

...so...

Posted - 06/13/2012 : 17:22:41
quote:
Originally posted by MADDOG

It's the 100 pounds of meat that now makes it do'able but we, too are paid elsewhere. Wish this would have been the starting numbers. The original proposition was just not doable for us and many others. Wish you folks the best down there!

Wishing all those competing at BOB the Best of Luck!

If the Compulsory Peoples Choice and Chili were not a requirement, I am certain this would be an easy Qualifier.
2 days of Peoples Choice Sampling and trying to cook for the Judges is asking too much for the average hobbyist Competition BBQ team.

In January info for BOB was posted on the CBBQA forum before the PNWBA BOD voted to approve Sanctioning and it has gotten little response, the distance from the Bay Area to Central Point OR, is about the same for Seattle area teams so it leads me to believe the meat requirements are the deal killers here.
Dropping the PC meats to 100 lbs and entry fee at this late date should be an incentive to make 15 teams, which I'm hoping is the case. This event has everything a cook could ask for at competition, hopefully with some of these things in mind planning 2013 BOB (and 25 teams) will be a destination spot for many of us.

These are my observations and not the opinion the BOD. I voted to approve PNWBA Sanctioning of BOB and wish to see its continued success.
Brian Moriarty
PNWBA Board Member, CBJ/KCBS CBJ
Left Hand Smoke 2010 PNWBA Team of the Year
Hobbyist Competitive Cook & CBJ since 2007

If KCBS can do any it better, best of luck!

I heard Kody and Paul worked their a$$es off.

http://www.pnwba.com/events/2012/2012.res.or.centralpoint.bob.pdf

I don't know why the organizers did not learn from last year and drop the poundage requirement down to 100lbs, and then some teams would actually sign up. Apparently they like to continue to pound a square piece of meat into a round smoker.

I agree the shear amount of meat required to vend is prohibitive to most. Why not bring in actual vender's like The Mill does and have teams "volunteer" to participate in the people's choice contest as a side competition? You could put requirements on that but it would help alleviate excessive amounts for teams. Seems like your forcing your vending onto the teams which I don't support and is why I turned down helping at this event. You should reconsider this from an organization standpoint.

Bottom line is they didn't listen to any of the teams nor any of the organization bodies to help make their event successful. This is a good area and I would have liked to see a good contest down there. The sampling requirements were outa hand for this area and kept the contest am unreasonable venture for the majority of teams...

They basically think that BBQ teams will show up and de facto "cater" their event for free under the guise of a BBQ contest. Since it didn't attract many teams last year, (even after they dropped the poundage requirement down) I don't know why they thought the same formula would work better this year.

They basically think that BBQ teams will show up and de facto "cater" their event for free under the guise of a BBQ contest. Since it didn't attract many teams last year, (even after they dropped the poundage requirement down) I don't know why they thought the same formula would work better this year.

Maybe they thought having a world class sanctioning organization behind them it would attract team of the year points chasers?

It is too bad, because they have the crowds to put on a great event.

Back