Spatchcocked chicken on my Chubby

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
You know that sounded kinda bad when I typed it. Oh, well been experimenting with the flexibility of my Backwoods Chubby. I ran it between 290 and 310 (I ramped it up near the end) with a water pan and heat diverter. I was actually amazed I was able to get it up that high with a full water pan.
Here's the result. This took about 1:48 minutes. I started skin side up, flipped at 44 minutes (I ripped the skin with the upper rack when I pulled it out ), flipped back 30 minutes later. Last 15 minutes was at 310. The wing went missing in my mouth after I pulled it. :)
Very happy with the results.

Is 310 hot enough to crisp the skin?

The only ways to really crisp chicken skin is to have a direct type of heat and or searing imo. I've even cooked chicken well into the 400's and didn't have super crispy skin unless i flipped the skin side down to face the heat. It does look bite through though.

Looks tasty Marty.

Looks great, how was the skin?

Is 310 hot enough to crisp the skin?

The only ways to really crisp chicken skin is to have a direct type of heat and or searing. It does look bite through though.

Looks tasty Marty.

No, it wasn't crispy all over nor did I expect it to be. The skin is bite through and the chicken is done perfectly and is very moist. Maybe next time I will have less water in the water pan so that is runs out about an hour and 15 minutes. Then I can yank it and the heat diverter out and have direct heat.
Heck, I'm just playing and having fun trying stuff!

Marty that looks wonderful! Love the color on the chicken. Looks like it was nice and juicy too. Thanks for the post!

No, it wasn't crispy all over nor did I expect it to be. The skin is bite through and the chicken is done perfectly and is very moist. Maybe next time I will have less water in the water pan so that is runs out about an hour and 15 minutes. Then I can yank it and the heat diverter out and have direct heat.

Great information. I just got an insulated cabinet and I was wondering how it worked for you. Thanks for sharing.:grin:

Looks great.

Thanks for reminding me, I have one that needs cooked.

Tasty! Next time just spray a light coat of your favorite cookin' oil on that grate before you start and the skin won't tear. :thumb:

What happened was the grate above the chicken was actually touching the breast so when I pulled it out to flip it, the breast got raked by the grate. Note to self, remove the top grate before inserting chicken...

That's what I like to do. I have the ribs, chicken, brisket, pork butt, and pork belly down with my regular recipes. The fun is trying new techniques. :thumb:

Back