MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
stepandfetch
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
I'm glad we have a couple guys here that's had A&S at their best. And man those hushpuppies!!! But, one must not forget the sweet tea!!

Nom nom!! If they weren't so dang inconsistent I'd make one of my "hankerin" food journeys more often.

(side note) I've been known to be driving around Asheville, NC at 5am and get a hankering for pork chops at Horst Gasthaus and drive all the way to North Myrtle Beach, SC to get then all you can eat style. LOL!
Amen, those hushpuppies will make you want to nail your feet to the linoleum so you cant ever leave. The sweet tea is always wonderful- sweet but not so sickeningly sweet like many places in the South. Often the tea is so sweet at some bbq joints that you could probably cut it with a knife.

The brunswick stew at A&S is also fantastic.
stepandfetch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #32
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepandfetch View Post
I highly doubt that the meat could get too much smoke of any kind. I shovel the coals up under the meat from a burn down pit, just like every pit boss at every NC bbq joint that still uses wood. If you look at the link I provided with my first post in this thread, you will see my pit, and that my pit is not an open pit- the smoke has to travel from the coals, around the meat, and swirl up to a small vent.

As the meat heats up- starting at around 180 F., every 30 seconds or so, you will hear the sizzle sound from the occasional fat dripping. To be honest, I doubt this slow dripping and sizzling adds much flavor from the smoke rising after the fat dripping burns up. The dripping does increase the flavor, because the sound signifies that the shoulder is now hot enough to render the fat- and that fat leaves flavor behind as it bastes the meat.

Now, if I only shoveled coals, I would only generate minimal smokiness. The coals that heat the meat are very clean. They produce very little smoke, blue or otherwise. If I stopped at this point, the meat would lack the smoke flavor. I exponentially increase the smoke flavor by adding unburnt wood. When I split the hickory logs with an axe or maul, I always end up missing the mark sometimes, sending thin splits and shards flying. After splitting the wood, I collect these shards in a grocery bag, and throw them on the coals after I put the shoulder on the grate. It only takes a few every hour or so to create a massive amount of smoke. Where you might only see a few wisps of thin blue smoke before, with these lumps of hickory wood, the smoke is very thick and billowy. It is sometimes blue and sometimes white, and that is okay. The only thing you really have to worry about is keeping the shards of smouldering wood from catching fire. I would highly recommend doing this, because there simply is not much smokiness generated by simply shoveling the burnt coals under the grate.

Honestly, I wish I could create the situation where there is simply too much smoke flavor (ala Allen and Son BBQ.) With that extreme conquered, I could then find a happy middle ground and keep it there consistently.

Here is a link to the Holy Smoke BBQ song:
http://uncpress.unc.edu/HolySmoke/song.html

Holy Smoke!
What smells so good?
Is someone burnin’ hickory wood?
What's that cookin' on those coals?
Why it's a pig! Lord bless my soul!
We're gonna have some barbecue.
Boiled potatoes. Brunswick stew.
Slaw that's white or maybe red.
Hush puppies or fried cornbread.
And sauce from an old recipe
known only to the family.
A great big glass of sweet iced tea.
Holy smoke! That's heav'n to me.
—from Holy Smoke by
Tommy Edwards
t

OK, that makes more sense to me, with the flavoring wood shards. But I would think drippings do add a good deal of smoke flavor--it certainly seemed so all the years I was grilling with gas (almost always without using flavoring woods).

Thanks for the UNC Press link.
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #33
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

I really love the salt idea. Gonna give it a shot. Thanks
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #34
TBASS
Full Fledged Farker

I have an upcoming cook for a family get together and I am going to try your method. Being from the Piedmont region of North Carolina, your recipe speaks to me. I also am planning on a brisket as well. Pretty sure I am going to try Franklin's S/P rub. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for sharing.
TBASS is offline   Reply With Quote