Should be receiving new smoker this week - question

TXNewbie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm prepared to season my new LSG arriving this week.

My question is should I using BBQ cleaner or something similar on it / the grates prior to seasoning it to get all the build/machining gunk off it?

Just broke my Lang in, they recommend steam cleaning during the seasoning process. Check out their website. But I would ask LSG what they recommend. Congrats on new smoker!

LSG recommends seasoning everything on the inside of the pit, including grates with cooking spray like PAM. I went through a few cans seasoning my 20x42 LSG offset.

LSG recommends seasoning everything on the inside of the pit, including grates with cooking spray like PAM. I went through a few cans seasoning my 20x42 LSG offset.

Did you wipe the pit down or do any cleaning prior to using Pam on it?

Depends on how everything was handled, fabrication wise. I had to wipe off any manufacturing dust and fragments so I power washed everything, PAM'd it, and then threw it into the smoker at 300 F before the rust kicks in.

I always remove the grates and use warm soapy water to wash them. Then I rinse them off and allow them to air dry before I put them back in the cooker and season everything with oil. Any spray oil should work just fine, but personally I go VERY heavy with it to make sure everything gets a nice coat.

Check with Chris at LSG. When I got my LSG vertical offset, I sprayed the cooker chamber with Pam and light my fire. Kept the temperature at or below 250* for several hours. Do not exceed that temp for very long if you do. You are both seasoning the cooking chamber and further curing the paint. Also do not put any firewood on the firebox during the seasoning process.

I would think washing it out prior to seasoning would not hurt a thing but does delay the fun part...cooking.

LSG has built a lot of cookers through the years and Chris knows what he is doing. If washing is not in his new written instructions, he must not think it is necessary.

It really is easy.. follow the written instructions you get from LSG. No more... no less.

I like washing with a strong mixture of mean green or some other degreaser. Then, I light it up and rinse with plain hot water. While it's getting to a medium heat, I spray with a cooking oil. Make sure you don't spray any flames with oil. After it cooks a while with the oil, pressure rinse with water. When it rinses somewhat clean with no trash in the rinse water, let it dry and then give it a super coat of the oil. You can do this step with no heat or put on some chicken quarters or ether cheap meat.

I like washing with a strong mixture of mean green or some other degreaser. Then, I light it up and rinse with plain hot water. While it's getting to a medium heat, I spray with a cooking oil. Make sure you don't spray any flames with oil. After it cooks a while with the oil, pressure rinse with water. When it rinses somewhat clean with no trash in the rinse water, let it dry and then give it a super coat of the oil. You can do this step with no heat or put on some chicken quarters or ether cheap meat.

I live in the Houston area. To go to Dallas I can drive on I10 to El Paso and then take I20 to Dallas. Maybe an 18 hour trip if I do not stop. OR.. i can drive on I45 and get there in 3.5 hours.

Why seasoning a new pit has to be complicated is beyond me.

I did not wipe anything down on the inside before seasoning. For the exterior, I only wiped off the dust. LSG's instructions are to season the inside for 3-6 hours with the the built-in temp gauge at or below 250 degrees (225 is preferred) which also cures the outside paint.

For maintenance of the exterior, LSG recommends spraying with a solution of 2 parts water & 1 part cooking oil and then wiping it down.

LSG will email this info to you when your pit ships.

Good advice but I would recommend doing this procedure 3 times and then reverse the order for your final step.

Last edited:
I wiped the inside/outside of my new LSG down with clean damp rags to get all the loose crap off from the manufacture process. Then sprayed everything down with PAM and it's been basically nonstick ever since.

Well shucks. I called for an update today and it turns out my smoker didn't make it on the truck last week as it was full. So, another week counting down the minutes.....

Well shucks. I called for an update today and it turns out my smoker didn't make it on the truck last week as it was full. So, another week counting down the minutes.....

How I imagine your face finding that out...

Attachments

• new2.png
    new2.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 38
Yeah - I'm not upset or anything. I understand. Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.

They had said I should have it by tomorrow originally, so I had planned to pick up some brisket and ribs on Thursday to try on the new smoker this weekend. I've never had a "real" smoker before and both the wife and I are very excited.

Yeah - I'm not upset or anything. I understand. Doesn't mean I'm not disappointed.

They had said I should have it by tomorrow originally, so I had planned to pick up some brisket and ribs on Thursday to try on the new smoker this weekend. I've never had a "real" smoker before and both the wife and I are very excited.

Enjoy it when it comes. Down the road when I'm not moving every few years and finally settle down, I plan on getting a nice offset, until then I'll roll with my WSM and Kettle.

Looking forward to your cooks.

Enjoy it when it comes. Down the road when I'm not moving every few years and finally settle down, I plan on getting a nice offset, until then I'll roll with my WSM and Kettle.

Looking forward to your cooks.

Same here. I don't see how people who move around constantly have offsets.

Back