Advice: Vision Kamado or Weber kettle + WSM 18.5?

ALittleMoreActionPlease

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I need your advice. I'm on a limited budget (under $600). I grill most of my food on a small Weber Smokey Joe 14. I want to grill more meat and use 2 zone cooking, and start smoking Briskets and Ribs etc. I know that the Vision Kamado ($500) can do pretty much all of it for one price, or I can buy a Weber Kettle 22" Master Touch for $200 + a Weber Smokey Mountain for $300. Any advantage of having just one over the other pair? Thank in advance.

So I need your advice. I'm on a limited budget (under $600). I grill most of my food on a small Weber Smokey Joe 14. I want to grill more meat and use 2 zone cooking, and start smoking Briskets and Ribs etc. I know that the Vision Kamado ($500) can do pretty much all of it for one price, or I can buy a Weber Kettle 22" Master Touch for $200 + a Weber Smokey Mountain for $300. Any advantage of having just one over the other pair? Thank in advance.

I think the kettle and smokey mountain would be more versatile. True value has the limited edition red kettle on sale for $99. You could get it, a SnS, and the Smokey mountain for your $600. You might even have enough left, to buy a vortex. Plus the kettle has a lot of other options you can add later, like a rotisserie.

You can pretty much grill on anything. Smoking can be frustrating with cheap quality cookers. If I had a $600 budget I would get the 22” WSM and a nice Weber Kettle. New. Weber’s are low in price but in my experience high quality with a good warranty. On a budget I’d watch the secondary markets for deals, big box end of season close outs etc.

Vision is a good cooker. My son has one and produces fantastic food-smoked and grilled.
I’m not sure it’s better than two Weber’s.

His two cookers are Vision and a Jumbo Joe. He’s happy.

Last edited:
The Weber kettle and WSM will be far more versatile and will last far longer than the Vision ceramic. With the ceramic, you'll have to replace the lid gasket in about 2-3 years and maybe deal with the ceramic cracking or breaking. I don't know how good Vision is with warranty replacements but that's something you might want to research and consider.

Definitly
Weber Kettle 22" Master Touch for $200 + a Weber Smokey Mountain for $300

Porcelin coated (until your wife drops the lid :mad:)

if you entertain you can use both for different cooks...

also kettle had a rotic(80.00) and a pizza oven(300)

all internals can work in a UDS if you go that route later...

Definitly
Weber Kettle 22" Master Touch for $200 + a Weber Smokey Mountain for $300

Porcelin coated (until your wife drops the lid :mad:)

if you entertain you can use both for different cooks...

also kettle had a rotic(80.00) and a pizza oven(300)

all internals can work in a UDS if you go that route later...

It seems like you are right. If I entertain, I can smoke some ribs, and while the guests wait for the ribs or other main smoking meat, I can cook up some hot wings with a vortex on the kettle.

I concur with everybody else on going with the kettle and the WSM. I've had 2 kamados and loved them very much, but I just rarely use them. I smoke everything on my offset and grill everything on my attached grill. My kamado went unused for close to a year before I finally got around to selling it.

Good luck!

The 2 Weber plan is, IMO, the best choice. As usual the Brethren are spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Add another vote for the two Webers. And I owned a kamado for almost 9 years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you can Weber 26 you won't regret it

The 99 red on Tru value is great deal as well.

But I agree with consensus, Two Weber's

It's funny you should post this question. My answer would be the two Webers without question. I HAVE a Performer and a 18.5" WSM. So why am I looking at a Kamado Joe Big Joe? Your post just saved me $1500. Thanks. BTW, get the Webers.

I do it all on two kettles, so I vote for a kettle and a WSM. Or get a kettle and build a UDS.:-D

The choice is easy. The Webers give you more flexibility, plus extra cooking space should you need it.

Plus, given your budget, you'll have enough money to upgrade the Smokey Joe to a Jumbo Joe for portable grilling. The Jumbo is far superior with both more airspace and grill space.

Buy the rotisserie kit for the kettle next year :thumb:

Get the 2 Webers and you'll be set.

even better....both 22s

I do it all on two kettles, so I vote for a kettle and a WSM. Or get a kettle and build a UDS.:-D

I considered building a UDS, then found the PBC, and read the reviews here and watched the YouTube videos, it's amazing. I was torn between a WSM and PBC. Both a killer rigs IMO.

I considered building a UDS, then found the PBC, and read the reviews here and watched the YouTube videos, it's amazing. I was torn between a WSM and PBC. Both a killer rigs IMO.

It's my understanding that they both work very well, I think the main differnce is the way the PBC is designed, it runs pretty hot, where as you can go low and slow with WSM. You will obviously be able to put more food in the PBC. Really just depends on your cooking style, and how much food you want to be able to cook at once.

After decades of using a daisy wheel kettle, with the same exhaust vent setup as a WSM, I'd go with the WSM. The daisy wheels allows you the flexibility to choose the temp you wish to cook at. If you are comfortable cooking at whatever the cooker runs at, the PBC seems to be popular.
The same price, according to Google, for around 18" diameter.

It's my understanding that they both work very well, I think the main differnce is the way the PBC is designed, it runs pretty hot, where as you can go low and slow with WSM. You will obviously be able to put more food in the PBC. Really just depends on your cooking style, and how much food you want to be able to cook at once.

Both are about the same size. You can easily use WSM like PBC but not the other way around.

I've got 7 BBQ's /Smokers but the two I use the most are the Performer and the WSM, both 22.5 inch.

Just fantastic cooking for a crowd. Love the idea of a Vision Kamado. They sell them here in Costco now, but I just can't see it will do anything extra for me.

Cheers!

Back