Couple Questions About Trimming & Freezing Ribs

misterrachel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Heading over to Sam's or Costco today to pickup some ribs for the holiday weekend. I was considering trying spare ribs this time, and have never done it.

1) Is it essential to do a St. Louis trim to spares prior to smoking? (or is this merely done for competition appearances?)

2) If I do trim them, and intend to freeze at least one rack...should I pull the membrane off before freezing as well?

Thanks and have a great holiday weekend, Brethren!

Not essential.
I do fab mine into St louis ribs before freezing, leaving the membrane on until I going to smoke them. I wrap each rack in cling and stack 3 to 4 on top of each other and place a sheet of freezer paper between each rack. Vacuum pack 3 to 4 in a vac bag. I can then take what I want out and reseal the rest for later use.

I have a buddy of mine that butchered a couple of hogs and because he wanted thick bacon he left little meat on the ribs. He brought me the ribs and before freezing them I peeled the membranes. It worked out pretty good and I did not have to mess with them later when they came out of the freezer.

Back