MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #31
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
so what your saying is yes, my typical brisket is done in when I probe it like butter around the 180 range?
I don't take temps IMO a waste of time. When it feels like that Hot Monkey Love when your Huck-a-Buchin with your woman it's done! Temp has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I don't take temps IMO a waste of time. When it feels like that Hot Monkey Love when your Huck-a-Buchin with your woman it's done! Temp has nothing to do with it.
Well sir, there are exceptions, as those who are familiar with the term "it was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway" can confirm.

Fortunately, once one settles down in life, this term becomes irrelevant.

Alrighty, y'all know where to find me...
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
Bludawg

Been there too I see you met My EX

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #34
gtr

Well played!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #35
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

4. It is easier to cook at 280F than 225F and get a moist brisket. Although, my best cook last year, due to issues that were completely under my control but, that I did not control (beer), went like this...
1.5 hours at 225F
ramped
4 hours at 325F
ramped down
2 hours at 220F
ramped
1 hour at 300F

Pulled and it was glorious. Maybe the best brisket I ever cooked.
So, you're saying the secret to great brisket is massive consumption?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #36
hominamad
On the road to being a farker

Ok so it seems like one of the main skill is knowing where the small window is where it's the right time to pull it. I also know you're not supposed to open and check often because you lose heat, etc. So, at one temperature do you start checking it, and how often should you check? Not too often I imagine or you lose a lot of heat each time.

Also, has anyone here used a pellet smoker to cook a brisket? Or a gas? I know the restaurants in NYC where I've had those amazing brisket experiences use gas as a heat source - so I know it's possible to make good brisket this way.
hominamad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #37
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
So, you're saying the secret to great brisket is massive consumption?
If we're talking my brisket, massive consumption is the norm sir.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #38
landarc

Never used a pellet cooker, I have use a gasser. There is a big difference between a commercial gasser and a residential gasser. Personally, I think you are putting way to much emphasis on the cooker still, you can make a great brisket on any cooker.

I poke at the meat and fuss with it, but, if I was going to use a thermometer, I would start checking at 185F. I used to start checking at 165F, which it will NEVER be done at, but, I was trying to learn the feel of the meat at each stage of the cook. I am pretty confident that I can read a brisket by feel now, but, the probe is a good backup. probe at 185F, and then every 45 minutes until if gets close. Then every thirty minutes until it is done. That small window of done is actually pretty easy to get close after a few tries.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #39
Birdie

I don't start checking until it gets to 190. As others said earlier I think the most common mistake is not going by probe tender, don't go by temp for being done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #40
Bludawg

Use the search bar and do a search for "Night Train Brisket". Then do the cook it will unlock the secrets that you seek. Information over load only makes it more difficult to find the answers which you seek. You need to "Ride the Train".

Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
SmokinCW

Go for the pellet cooker. The consistent quality of my brisket took a huge jump when I got my Traeger.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #42
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I took the night train, it tasted like chit. Was that the point of it?
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #43
gtr

Quote:
It's basically a controlled experiment to familiarize one with the feel, the tenderness, etc. of a brisket, specifically they flat. The one I did was by no means the greatest thing I ever ate (being addicted to smoked food and all), but it didn't taste like chit.

I think Donnie's point is basically cook it that way, see how it feels, and go for that feeling in the pit. I may not have done it right, because I preferred the texture of the ones I was doing in the smoker - at least the ones I didn't fark up.
WTFWGALD?

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #44
Bludawg

Quote:
Learning to cook to feel and how time and keeping your pit closed affects the meat. I guess if you want to come down to Tx and you come with a case of Makers Mark and a Box of Cobias I could teach you oh and you buy the meat too. Otherwise this is pointless to continue kicking a dead pony!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I know, I know, I understand done on all the other meats, with brisket, whenever I think I figured it out, the next cook is crap
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote