BBQ Brethren "Summer of SPAM" Throwdown!

Do you like SPAM?

• I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • As long as it doesn't have very much SPAM in it.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Lemon Curry?

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^^Veruca Salt mod.

FWIW, I will have one more submission tomorrow if all goes right. However, I fear I will not get to some of the things I wanted to do. Thus, here are a couple ideas in hopes that some daring fool is able to pull it off in time:

SPAMonte Cristo - the concept was a monte cristo with sliced spam of course. I also toyed with the idea of freezing a disk of jelly/preserves and placing it in the sandwich so it would melt with the frying and be a perfect ooze when the sandwich was cut.

SPAMoni - Just spumoni with SPAM, what else :shock:

Since I won't have enough time to make everything on my list (still a lot left), I'll give one up for now.

SPAM Biryani.

Think about it.

Or don't.

Your call.

I ordered a Weber Smokey Joe Gold but I wasn't sure that it would be here in time to cook on for the Mini Throwdown that ends today. Mostly I believe my logic was sound as I only ordered it yesterday :noidea:. Thus, I was in search of something to cook on and what to cook. Due to an upcoming hunting trip I feared that this could be my last chance to enter and win (read: triple goose egg) three Throwdowns with the same entry.

Yesterday in a state of boredom I swung buy the local Goodwill store for ideas. There I saw what surely would be the answer to my needs:

IMAG0597.jpg

Don't lie, you know you want one too. But alas, it did not qualify for the Mini TD due to the size of its grilling area. Or perhaps just the general lack of a grilling area would have been an issue. Since we all know how much Gore likes his dilly bars I did not want to steal one of his special treats.

So, I continued on through the store to see what else I could find. There, on the shelf, I saw it. I found my NUTS on a shelf of the Goodwill store. My Not-so Ugly Tumbler Smoker:

IMAG0603.jpg

I kept the build simple since it is Sunday and laziness is a requirement. Since the shape is tapered all I had to do was cut some expanded metal into circles for the charcoal and cooking grates.

IMAG0600.jpg

Here I did a test run and drilled some holes for intakes:

IMAG0601.jpg

IMAG0602.jpg

IMAG0605.jpg

After the test run I lit another briq of charcoal and let it come up to temp while I prepped the feast. Ingredients included a meatball, thinly sliced SPAM, a strip of bacon, and a tortilla to be used later.

IMAG0606.jpg

Assembled, rubbed and ready for the cooker:

IMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

Ah, sweet blue:

IMAG0609.jpg

And here is the wonderful SPAMOINK ball after cooking for a while. Honestly I have no idea how long it took or what temps it was cooking at. After all, it's done when it's done.

IMAG0611.jpg

Once the bacon was nice and crispy I pulled the hunk of meat off my NUTS and finalized the preparations. I glazed the ball in some Blues Hog Smokey Mountain and then wrapped it in its shell.

IMAG0613.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg

And back on the NUTS until it was a crispy tortilla shell:

IMAG0616.jpg

Once done, I pulled the feast off my NUTS and added a little more sauce. It was quite tasty and most satisfying.

IMAG0617.jpg

IMAG0620.jpg

Thanks for checking out my SPAMOINK ball and my NUTS. :tsk:

Yep. We added additional grated cheese and used heavy cream and melted butter instead of milk for the box macaroni. Not exactly heart friendly but what the heck!:becky:

"4. All pics (any number) must be submitted by Friday 9/23 at 4:05am Central US Time."

What the fark??? I saw Sept. 23 and thought it would be ending at midnight. I cut a business trip a day short just so that I could spend today cooking SPAM. I had four entries I was going to prepare and submit today. :mad:

Well, at least you should be able to squeeze this one in. It is made with unprocessed SPAM, pork shoulder and some belly.

IMG_3288.jpg

The write-up is here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116696

One would think that a physicist and astronomer would read things carefully, and would understand AM and PM. :tsk:

At least I wasn't involved in this one. Biggie is on his own against the bulls. :heh:

CD :becky:

Meat Burner is pissed!!!! Part of the reason this thread was my inability to post timely pics. Well, I prepared a less than awsome plate last night and my farking camera program did the same thing and never could post an entry. Maybe that was for the best after looking at all these super creative entries. This is going to be tough to vote on. Congrats to all the entries.

Back