Question for the Upper Midwest(Comp)

B

BunStuffersBBQ

Would there be any interest in a comp in the Milwaukee area this summer? I'm working with a local charity group to put something together at or around Wisconsin State Fair Park and I may need some assistance in getting this thing up and running. Everything is super preliminary as of right now but any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

If the timing is right I am sure our team would support another KCBS contest.Wi. has 1 contest in may( Dells),1 in june (Montello),2 in August (Princeton and Westfield) And labor day weekend Milwaukee.Also factor in Memorial day weekend Westmont Il if I remember correct.Also in July there are 2 contests although not in Wi they are supported by several of the teams from Northern Il and Wi,these being Shannon,Il.and Kingsford,Mi.which is in the UP just north of Green Bay.Also the weekend before the Dells is Minnesota in May which I know a few teams go to also.I think to get the amount of teams needed to have a sucessful event you need to find a date thats not piled on existing events.I am sure I didnt list all of the area events but I just did this off the top of my head.Oh yea Libertyville ,Il .I hope we can help you get this event off the ground.

They may as well do something with Fair Park as long as they arent doing any racing there. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I for one would LOVE another event in our area.

As you said, it would have to be date dependent, and as I posted in the 'PoorQue' thread, and I know it's to late for this year, I would really like to have a nearby comp in the early spring that we could use as a practice comp since the first one 'in the area' for spring is Minn. In May...

Dive the weekend after Mn In May is the Dells.Still early.

If the timing is right I am sure our team would support another KCBS contest.Wi. has 1 contest in may( Dells),1 in june (Montello),2 in August (Princeton and Westfield) And labor day weekend Milwaukee.Also factor in Memorial day weekend Westmont Il if I remember correct.Also in July there are 2 contests although not in Wi they are supported by several of the teams from Northern Il and Wi,these being Shannon,Il.and Kingsford,Mi.which is in the UP just north of Green Bay.Also the weekend before the Dells is Minnesota in May which I know a few teams go to also.I think to get the amount of teams needed to have a sucessful event you need to find a date thats not piled on existing events.I am sure I didnt list all of the area events but I just did this off the top of my head.Oh yea Libertyville ,Il .I hope we can help you get this event off the ground.

and now we have another one coming back in the middle of September

I know, that's about the earliest we do have around here... Ironic that it's done in the snow since I hear that Minnesota doesn't thaw out until June... lol Just kidding... Ducking for conver mod!

Actually, what I was getting at is that it would be nice to have a comp, similar to what is proposed for PoorQue, early in the season. I think it would be easier to justify a known non-money maker if I knew that I would be doing a practice any way and because of the timing, it may be easier to get other experiaced teams out to it for a 'shake-down' run.

Just sayin...

Well, last year there was Wamac, IL; Edwardsville, IL; Steeleville, IL; Westmont, IL and Moweaqua, IL all before the second week of June last year. All within 5 hours of us. So they are out there and closer than MIM. Which I have cooked a few times as well.

I know, that's about the earliest we do have around here... Ironic that it's done in the snow since I hear that Minnesota doesn't thaw out until June... lol Just kidding... Ducking for conver mod!
Well I just got done PMing Curt and it looks like the Minn in May weekend is now taken up with the Pretty Good BBQ down in Dayton... FYI, all are invited to this great event!!!!

A Pretty Good BBQ 2009

Thanks for the feedback thus far fellas. The dates are still up in the air a little. I know early May is probably out of the question but June may be a possibilty as well the first and last weekends in July. The KCBS needs 3 options for an event date to coordinate reps etc. Still trying to pull something off.

Are may and june summer? LOL We loved the Labor day contest.... Kim's family is in Kenosha, so we would probably make another trip up that way to cook. Looking forward to hearing the date.

Are may and june summer? LOL We loved the Labor day contest.... Kim's family is in Kenosha, so we would probably make another trip up that way to cook. Looking forward to hearing the date.
And you wonder why I'm not in a huge rush to go up to Minn. in May...

Hopefully it'll be better run too... JMHO...

It was run pretty tight. They had to do a lot of things to make parks, city and high schools happy. So I am not sure why you would say that after cooking it only once?

They've spoke with me a bit. I hope it does. I know it would be a lot smaller though...

We called the chamber on Wednesday to see if they were going ahead with it this year or not and they told us they were haveing the meeting Thursday morning to finalize all of the details and that the dates are September 17th and 18th. I took that as it is deffinately happening. I agree it will be scaled back alot.

Andy

It was run pretty tight. They had to do a lot of things to make parks, city and high schools happy. So I am not sure why you would say that after cooking it only once?

First of all, after paying my entrance fee and participating in the comp, I feel that I have a right to an opinion as to how the comp was run, even if it was the only time I competed there. I felt that my experience during that one and only time that I was there was not as good as other comps that I have been to. Maybe I was lucky and didn't have to put up the issues more than once, I don't know. .

I guess my primary issue was with the water supply. Such as the fact that we on the lower field were promised 3 sites for water and when we arrived we were informed that the only water that was available was at the top a set of stairs that should have been considered a hazard. (Yes, I feel qualified to declare them as such having grown up in a construction family, working construction, more than a 'few hours' spent with inspectors and OHSA, and also by the simple fact that not only I but others had great difficulty navigating them and before you even bring it up, yes, everyone was sober). The thought of attempting to carry 80 pounds of water (two 5 gallon jugs) down them was not an option. To be honest, if they had stated the actual water location in the beginning, I would have either paid more to be on the upper field or just skipped the comp all together.

Yes, we finally did get water on the lower field but only after I lent them my fresh water hose. I don't know, the fact that I had to ask 3 times to get it back may also have a bit to do with it. I also feel that the layout of the lower field also left a lot to be desired in how the sites were set.

These things left a bad taste in my mouth and I included them on my questionnaire.

Back