favorite sides

B

BillyH

Seems no matter what the Q, we always seem to have the same sides. Not that Im complaining, I love potato salad, pork-n-beans, and french garlic bread. As long as my mom cooks it..got to get those recipes. I hear a lot of people have coleslaw? What else is everybody else serving with their Q?

BillyH said:
Seems no matter what the Q, we always seem to have the same sides. Not that Im complaining, I love potato salad, pork-n-beans, and french garlic bread. As long as my mom cooks it..got to get those recipes. I hear a lot of people have coleslaw? What else is everybody else serving with their Q?

cole slaw is good both as a side and on a pig sammich.

for me, though, tater salad is out unless it does not have egg or egg product in it.

yep - recently diagnosed with an egg allergy.

<sigh>

I always thought that more meat was a side dish, to good ribs. That may be why I am looking for suggestions of good side dishes.

Eating Q out around KC you'll get Fries and Coleslaw. Pit Beans and the normal array of fried appetizers (mushrooms, pepper rings, onion rings, cauliflower etc.) are on most menus.

At home I like coleslaw and (from a box) cheesey scalloped potatoes, baked beans with some kind of leftover Q in them (BB ribs are the best). With ribs I like corn on the cob, as long as you're gonna need a shower after eating, just as well go all out.

oooh yeah...corn on the cob...good stuff. I usually boil it but I see where people put it on the pit. How's that turn out? Whats the process?

How's that turn out? Whats the process?
I've done corn on the pit a couple times and like it quite a bit. I remove the outer 2 or 3 thickest layers of husk then just peel back the thinner, more tender inner layers. Remove the silks, then put the remaining husks back on, then wrap in foil. You can do it without the foil but it requires a lot of attention to prevent burning. Takes 45 to 90 mins depending on how hot the area you're cooking on is. You can tell when its done by squeezing, if they still feel solid, not done yet.
Never tried zucchini on the smoker but I love it grilled, just cut in half length wise and brush with some good Italian dressing and sprinkle with Tony C's or seasoned salt or whatever seasonings you like. I'm sure this would do fine in the smoker too.

Green beans doctored up with onion, beef bullion and Tony C's. If you got some pulled pork or brisket left over, throw that in too. My family is a big green bean eatin' bunch.

Scalloped or Au Gratin potatoes works well too.
Another favorite is a knock off recipe of Cracker Barrel's Hash Brown cassarole. When we do the Belly Brothers 4th of July party, my wife usually has to take 2 or 3 pans and there ain't no leftovers!

Let me know if you want the recipe.

Green beans doctored up with onion, beef bullion and Tony C's. If you got some pulled pork or brisket left over, throw that in too. My family is a big green bean eatin' bunch.
Jeanne and I eat a lot of green beans too, I like to put the au jus from foiled up pork loin or brisket in the green bean pot.

BillyH said:
oooh yeah...corn on the cob...good stuff. I usually boil it but I see where people put it on the pit. How's that turn out? Whats the process?

You might be a brother if:

You boil your corn, but you damn well better not boil them ribs! :twisted: :twisted:

Boil ribs??? Im a griller and I know better than that!!! Thats how they do em at Chilly's probably...

i like some dirty rice with my Q maybe a little mashed potatoes

Scalloped or Au Gratin potatoes works well too.
Another favorite is a knock off recipe of Cracker Barrel's Hash Brown cassarole. When we do the Belly Brothers 4th of July party, my wife usually has to take 2 or 3 pans and there ain't no leftovers!

Let me know if you want the recipe.

Yes please, this sounds great. Can it be cooked in the smoker?

We will get a buch of fresh veggies like, Zuchini, yellow squash, green, red and yellow peppers, cailiflower, Brocoli, mushroom, puti in large foil cooking bag and add butter and a half can of beer, any liquid will work and season with your favorite seasoning. Set on grill and turn occasionally, steams up real nice. The ladies like it alot!

Also on the corn if you soak them in water for at least an hour and then pull back the husk and remove the silk, pull husk back up and take an outside one and use it to tie up the ear set on grill turining every 5 minustes until the husk is like parchment paper. Taste good dipped in real butter!

Bellybro said:
We will get a buch of fresh veggies like, Zuchini, yellow squash, green, red and yellow peppers, cailiflower, Brocoli, mushroom, puti in large foil cooking bag and add butter and a half can of beer, any liquid will work and season with your favorite seasoning. Set on grill and turn occasionally, steams up real nice. The ladies like it alot!

Also on the corn if you soak them in water for at least an hour and then pull back the husk and remove the silk, pull husk back up and take an outside one and use it to tie up the ear set on grill turining every 5 minustes until the husk is like parchment paper. Taste good dipped in real butter!

Like the beer angle, have to give that a try. Doing corn on the grill I'll add some hot salt now and then. After the corn has steamed in the husk you just get the flavor and no texture from the salt.

PS great addition to your sig :D

Like the beer angle, have to give that a try.

Jorge,

I don't think the Belly Brothers could cook unless beer was involved.
Hell, we even had a beer distributor as a sponsor for our last cookoff.

BellyBro's way of doing corn is really good.

And yes John I'll loan you $20.00, but only if it's going towards paying off the new cooker.......I just can't pay for your next lap dance down at the strip club. :mrgreen:

Deep fry the corn on the cob in peanut oil. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Good stuff.

That and pineapple rice.

It is sacrilage around our house if you light charcoal or wood and don't have an open beer nearby!

Ahh strip club, been a long time!

Bellybro said:
It is sacrilage around our house if you light charcoal or wood and don't have an open beer nearby!

Ahh strip club, been a long time!

You guys are from Texas, right? 8)

Do not forget about that recipe for the potato casserole? It sounds great.

Back