MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Default 1000 gal propane tank

I've gotten my hands on a 1000 gal propane tank. I'm going to cut it in half and use one side as a smoker (reverse flow) and the other as a charcoal grill. (May make tow smokers and use a 250 tank for the grill) I'm thinking about insulating the fire box to help with the heat. Of course the rest of the smoker will not be insulated but I believe that this will help me with the heat and slow down the log consumption. Oh yea I'll be using this for Comps and Catering. I like the Idea of being able to put a whole hog on the same smoker. Any thoughts on this or better yet has anyone done this before and has a blue print.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

we've had a 1000gal tank for a while now, prob about a year and we've been trying to plan it out. We were thinking reverse flow, but than seeing the jambo pits we've been debating mounting the firebox higher(with is good for towing and clearance also, exhaust stacks lower and make them big, but 2 of them. Than as far as doors go, we wanted to do one huge door so we could slide in a 150-200lb hog, than on the opposite side either 2 or 3 smaller doors. We figured negating the reverse flow would also help out with the weight because as is it weighs almost a 1000lbs

Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
hardy02ttu
On the road to being a farker

Mine was a 1000 gal butane tank we cut in half and it works pretty well. If I had it to do over again i would make the doors bigger and put sliding racks in it. Early mornin is correct on it being extremely heavy. I wish i had found this site before starting the build and there is alot of things I would have done different. Be sure that you make the fire box big enough, mine is a little undersized and it makes it rough when the weather isn't cooperating. I am going to try insulating it to see if it helps.

There is a link for a pit calculator, I thought I had it but evidently don't, but im sure somebody can give it to you.

Here is mine if it helps.
hardy02ttu is offline   Reply With Quote