High Plains Cochinita Pibil(-ish) - w/Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Thanks to Plata-O-Plomo and DerHusker, I needed to follow suit with some Cochinita Pibil.

Mind you, I couldn't get banana leaves, nor could I get achiote seeds / powder. Strange.

Last night, I broke out a smallish pork butt, whipped up the marinade, and let it rest overnight.

ipa2iNrl.jpg

iJ6wBGIl.jpg

I got no photos during the cook, but it wasn't very exciting. The parchment paper + foil wrap really held the heat and moisture in as I kept the kettle in the 325-350 range for a solid 4 hours. After that, I let it rest in a warm oven for an hour before opening the package for a peek.

CtN2NIEl.jpg

The bone slipped right out, and I pulled the pork per the recipe. - The money muscle was absolutely wonderful. I cut it into small medallions and shared them with the family.

ERWNbKRl.jpg

The quick pickled red onions in bitter orange juice were wonderful. Big fan.

N3XRGiel.jpg

BossLady whipped up some good arroz as if she'd been making arroz con pollo. Tajin was just the ticket for an added twang, and I enjoyed the surprisingly mild heat of the habanero version.

WjTEVszl.jpg

Time for "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" on the telly and some gingerbread cookies in the oven.

Y'all have a great Saturday night!

Looks good from here. Banana leaves are basically ancient Mexican aluminum foil. Check your local Mexi-Marts. Usually in the freezer section, let them thaw out before using.

Great looking plate of (-ish) Marc. Was it the original Grinch I hope?

It sure was! The classic.

Interestingly enough, we only have one Mexi-mart in town, and they had no banana leaves. Of course, I go hit the gringo grocery store for children's ibuprofen and what do I see on my walk-through (that I've never seen before)!? Yep. Banana leaves. :doh:

Back