MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #46
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

The results will vary, but it takes a few days or more. Interested to see how they turn out.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #47
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
OK, I've got 19 green biguns (about 1 1/2 lbs)strung through the stem hanging in the kitchen window for direct sunlight to see if they'll ripen to red!
Update. Absolutely no color change after four days of direct sunlight and the peppers are getting soft so I put them in the fridge. Also, Saturday I had bought a few additional and forgot about them, leaving them in the clear plastic produce bag that had been twistied closed, left on the kitchen counter. Tuesday, when discovered, one had become completely red except for the very tip and was still firm, two were partially red but were soft and beginning to mold and the other three were still completely green. One firm, the other two softening and a wee bit moldy. I think I'll have to try the brown paper bag thing next.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #48
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Update. Absolutely no color change after four days of direct sunlight and the peppers are getting soft so I put them in the fridge. Also, Saturday I had bought a few additional and forgot about them, leaving them in the clear plastic produce bag that had been twistied closed, left on the kitchen counter. Tuesday, when discovered, one had become completely red except for the very tip and was still firm, two were partially red but were soft and beginning to mold and the other three were still completely green. One firm, the other two softening and a wee bit moldy. I think I'll have to try the brown paper bag thing next.
They will get soft out in the air but should turn red as well. They will actually get quite soft as they are dehydrating. The key is to catch them before the molding. You may want to try the bag method first for a few days then to open air to help keep the mold away. Also, it's best to do this with the stems on. Once that stem is removed, that open area is more suseptible to mold. Now it's just a matter of finding the right time span.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #49
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:

Interesting...

Update on my expirement - nothing happened... well, the peppers started getting soft & wrinkled but that's it. Even the one put in with the tomatoes did nothing.

It's not very warm around here right now either, not sure if that has anything to do with it...?

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #50
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
They will get soft out in the air but should turn red as well. They will actually get quite soft as they are dehydrating. The key is to catch them before the molding. You may want to try the bag method first for a few days then to open air to help keep the mold away. Also, it's best to do this with the stems on. Once that stem is removed, that open area is more suseptible to mold. Now it's just a matter of finding the right time span.
Oh, also, the (clear) plastic bag was in direct sunlight in the afternoon as it was next to a window - I wonder if the light had anything to do with it?
Stems were left on Bob, and thanks for the info on the softening - no mold on the hanging ones and I think the moisture in the somewhat water tight environment had a factor on the mold and since paper breathes better...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 06-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #51
bbqnano
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Im loving this experiment. I think humidity in the air is a big factor. Here where I live its dessert like condition and anything u leave out will dry great. tomatoes, peppers, herbs, meat, for beef jerky.
bbqnano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #52
deguerre

Quote:
Oh, also, the (clear) plastic bag was in direct sunlight in the afternoon as it was next to a window - I wonder if the light had anything to do with it?
Stems were left on Bob, and thanks for the info on the softening - no mold on the hanging ones and I think the moisture in the somewhat water tight environment had a factor on the mold and since paper breathes better...
After a few more days on the counterfour of the peppers that had been the plastic bag were ripened completely with only a few bad spots. The peppers in the paper bag are beginning to color and so far are just drying a little and not molding. Here's a pic of the "accidental" peppers (the green ones are fresh and all were grilled last night):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ripe jalapeno.jpg (42.8 KB, 224 views)

Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #53
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Awesome! Thanks for the update Guerry!
I wonder if it would make a difference if you did them in the plastic bag again, but put a paper towel in the bottom of the bag to absorb the moiture, Maybe that way they wouldn't dry out as bad as they do in the paper bag but they wouldn't get moldy like they do in the plastic...

Also, are you leaving these in the sun the whole time, or just sitting on the counter?

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #54
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the update Guerry!
I wonder if it would make a difference if you did them in the plastic bag again, but put a paper towel in the bottom of the bag to absorb the moiture, Maybe that way they wouldn't dry out as bad as they do in the paper bag but they wouldn't get moldy like they do in the plastic...

Also, are you leaving these in the sun the whole time, or just sitting on the counter?

Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing but with one of those dessicant thingies...and they sat on the counter under a west facing window and got plenty of afternoon light.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #55
deguerre

Update, the ones I had hanging had gone into a brown paper bag a couple days ago and are now beginning to ripen (a few are turning nice colors) with no sign of mold yet. I tossed in a dessicate pak today to keep moisture levels down. Continued...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #56
deguerre

Default update

Here are the peppers from the brown paper bag after about 8 days with the dessicant pak. No mold, just drying out a bit and some are fully ripened while some are still green. Got some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peppers.jpg (72.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg peppers1.jpg (129.0 KB, 884 views)

Last edited by deguerre; 06-23-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #57
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Hmm, you popped one open yet to see what they taste like? If the flavor was on, then they would prolly work pretty well being smoked...

Thanks for the update Guerry! I've been too busy to do any expirementing, it also hasn't stopped raining for the past 2 months!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz

Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #58
deguerre

Final Update - After the last posting I put them back in the open air in the window. After about a week in the window sill all of them were a bright red and only a little more dried out with just a few spots that needed to be cut out. (Seven small mold areas the size of a finishing nail head out of 20 peppers) They went into the fridge until last night when I cut them in half, keeping the seeds and all, and smoked at about 240 with apple wood for a couple hours. These I made into a chipotle hot sauce - about 48 oz. MOST excellent flavor!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #59
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

So do you think it was the heat or the sunlight or the length of time that turned them red?

Update of my own - I "found" 6 peps at the bottom of the fruit bowl the other day... 1 was nasty rotten/moldy, 2 had large black spots all over them that made them unusable, 3 had turned bright red and had only a couple of small dark spots that were easily cut out... These had been sitting in a sunless part of the kitchen on the counter.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #60
deguerre

I'm thinking it was the direct sunlight and the extra heat from that. The outgassing in the bags probably contributed as it does with fruits. I do think using the dessicator helped reduce the mold factor though.