MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #31
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

From times past, I have found that if the temp isn't up between the 75-100 range then A) the peppers take much longer to dry (especially if it's humid outside) B) they don't darken up as much, they tend to stay more green and while it's ok, I like the kind of toasted flavor that the darkend ones have, the flavor stands out more in rubs and in dishes.

Hmmmmmm...it's gonna be 93 in the shade today - all I have to do is generate smoke. Of course the humidity might make a difference...

Love that bowl of pepper goodness pic!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #32
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
From times past, I have found that if the temp isn't up between the 75-100 range then A) the peppers take much longer to dry (especially if it's humid outside) B) they don't darken up as much, they tend to stay more green and while it's ok, I like the kind of toasted flavor that the darkend ones have, the flavor stands out more in rubs and in dishes.

Hmmmmmm...it's gonna be 93 in the shade today - all I have to do is generate smoke. Of course the humidity might make a difference...

Send some of that heat my way! We're pushin' mid 50's with wind & rain!
Looks like summer is going to start sometime in mid July like last year.

The smell of them is awesome! Sweet smokey jalapeno-ey-ness...

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #33
deguerre

I'll gladly trade our current weather!
Seriously though, I wonder if I can try that sawdust coffee can soldering iron trick...I've got the dust that goes with my Cameron stove top and the peppers just may hang dry in the sun after smoking...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #34
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'll gladly trade our current weather!
Seriously though, I wonder if I can try that sawdust coffee can soldering iron trick...I've got the dust that goes with my Cameron stove top and the peppers just may hang dry in the sun after smoking...
I don't see why you couldn't, I like to cut the peps open to allow the smoke inside since the skin is impossible to penetrate. If you were gonna hang em after, I'd split them from the tip to the stem into quarters, but leave the stem on, that way you could tie them by the stem to dry, and the smoke still gets inside and they dry quicker.

I do notice tho, if I leave the peps on a rack or something to finish drying for a couple of days, the potentcy of the smoke deminishes quite a bit, that could be good or bad I guess.

Instead of the soldering iron deal, what about 4 lit briqs on one side of your kettle with a chunk of wood on top of them? That should smoke low enough... You could fit a lot more of em on there too.

Let me know what you end up doing, I'd like to hear what results you have!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #35
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
I don't see why you couldn't, I like to cut the peps open to allow the smoke inside since the skin is impossible to penetrate. If you were gonna hang em after, I'd split them from the tip to the stem into quarters, but leave the stem on, that way you could tie them by the stem to dry, and the smoke still gets inside and they dry quicker.

I do notice tho, if I leave the peps on a rack or something to finish drying for a couple of days, the potentcy of the smoke deminishes quite a bit, that could be good or bad I guess.

Instead of the soldering iron deal, what about 4 lit briqs on one side of your kettle with a chunk of wood on top of them? That should smoke low enough... You could fit a lot more of em on there too.

Duh. That way I could use mesquite chips in a foil packet too so they wouldn't oxidze so quickly and just smolder instead of burn. Just keep replacing with the four coals etc until enough smoke has been absorbed.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #36
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:

Quote:

Quick note, there is another method using long green chiles called chile pasado where you roast, peel, and then hang the peppers to air dry. Basically a process used to preserve the peppers before refrideration was common. Humidity in the air can cause molding. I remember my dad trying this one time with LOTS of Hatch chile...........well, a few days later, the rainy season hit. The peppers never got wet, but the humidity caused molding and the entire batch was ruined. Probably less likey, since they will be smoked first, but just a heads up.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #37
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Duh. That way I could use mesquite chips in a foil packet too so they wouldn't oxidze so quickly and just smolder instead of burn. Just keep replacing with the four coals etc until enough smoke has been absorbed.
Heck, you'll prolly have the lower vents shut down enough that you could stick a fist sized chunk on the briqs... It would prolly smolder for an hour or longer as long as the lid was kept closed.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #38
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Quick note, there is another method using long green chiles called chile pasado where you roast, peel, and then hang the peppers to air dry.
Hmm, you've got me thinking about other larger peps now too... Maybe roasting/sweating/peeling and then smoking would make for some good results... Especially for a roasted salsa kinda thing...

Thanks!!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #39
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Hmm, you've got me thinking about other larger peps now too... Maybe roasting/sweating/peeling and then smoking would make for some good results... Especially for a roasted salsa kinda thing...

Thanks!!
Sounds good to me. I'd rather use the pit and smoke for drying them. Air drying is risky. I forgot to mention that if you are air drying outdoors, you need to have them contained in screen enclosure. You also don't want bugs etc having a picnic on the peppers as they dry either.

I may try some with my order of Hatch chiles at the end of summer. Sure would be nice to have some dry, smoked green chile for winter.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #40
NorthwestBBQ

Where's mine, Ry?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #41
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Sounds good to me. I'd rather use the pit and smoke for drying them. Air drying is risky. I forgot to mention that if you are air drying outdoors, you need to have them contained in screen enclosure. You also don't want bugs etc having a picnic on the peppers as they dry either.

I may try some with my order of Hatch chiles at the end of summer. Sure would be nice to have some dry, smoked green chile for winter.
I'd be interested in hearing about it if you do try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Where's mine, Ry?
Hmm, ask B-O-B... I left a small baggie of it with him in March when I was out specifically to give to you and swamp! He prolly still has it lying on his desk... under Rib-O-Lator boxes.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz

Old 06-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #42
bbqnano
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for this it looks like alot of flavor.
Im goin to try this with some habanero peppers.
bbqnano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #43
deguerre

OK, I've got 19 green biguns (about 1 1/2 lbs)strung through the stem hanging in the kitchen window for direct sunlight to see if they'll ripen to red!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #44
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqnano View Post
Thanks for this it looks like alot of flavor.
Im goin to try this with some habanero peppers.
I've done it! Turns out great and you don't need nearly as many to get the job done!

In fact, this one time I had 2 unmarked baggies about the same amount in each, I ended up adding about as much hab powder to my bowl of chili that I would usually add jap powder... *HOT!* lol

Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #45
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
OK, I've got 19 green biguns (about 1 1/2 lbs)strung through the stem hanging in the kitchen window for direct sunlight to see if they'll ripen to red!
I'd like to know what happens!
I started my expirement the other night too.
I took 4 green peps and 3 paper bags, 1 pep and a ripe banana, 1 pep and an apple, 1 pep by itself in a bag and 1 pep on the windowsil.

I left each in their respective spot for 24 hrs and then removed them and observed absolutely no change. Granted, 24 hrs isn't much, but a tomatoe will ripen or start to within that short time.

I now have the pep that was with the apple in a paper bag with 2 tomatoes still on the vine... I'll letcha know what doesn't happen!