MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
MEAT
Got Wood.

Default Ribeye roast

Would you smoke a ribeye roast the same you would any other meat?
Low and slow or is it better to sear first?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
bbqjoe
Banned

Do a search on prime rib. Just about the same thing.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

check out the prime rib recipe in our recipe section.

I start prime ribs and rib eyes at high temps for a while, then cook around 275 for a bit and finish high again.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I like putting those on a spit and cooking them directly over the coals. I'm looking for a picture... I have a pic of us doing chickens on the big spit pit at the GAB 2 yrs ago... I'll see if I have one of the strip loins or ribeye roasts going... I also like doing them at home on the gasser with the infrared burner going...oh wait - I have not repaired that gasser from the LAST prime rib that caused it's untimely death.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Go with the recipe BBQchef33 mentioned. I've done it with a bone in ribeye roast and it was excellent. I may pull the bones the next time to get a little more seasoning into the meat, but it's a tough call since the meat next to the bone was outstanding as well.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

There are basically two schools of thought.....perhaps more....

But basically, one method is to sear at the beginning of the cook, the other is at the end. I choose the beginning, I will hit it at 500 degrees in the oven until it starts spitting, then I lower the temp to low and slow until the internal temp is 130 (it will go to 135 as it rests). For this method, I must use the kitchen.

The sear after the roast has reached 130 would require you to use a browning/brazier pan, which I know many folks do. I keep thinking I will try this method, but I do not have a pan to get the job done and I think my rib roasts taste great already.

Here is a website that shows a brazing pan.

http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?S..._Code=VOL47760

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248
one method is to sear at the beginning of the cook, the other is at the end. I choose the beginning, I will hit it at 500 degrees in the oven until it starts spitting, then I lower the temp to low and slow until the internal temp is 130 (it will go to 135 as it rests). For this method, I must use the kitchen.
I've only cooked two of these, the best was smoked low and slow and then finished off on the Weber Grill. The smoke flavour was far more distinct than 'sealing' first then low and slow.