MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #31
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
currently I'm all weber, and all charcoal. to keep the message short, I've owned/cooked on several different style/fuel usage grills/smokers. based on my experiences and research, I now own Buddy and the Bullet. Buddy is my modded 18.5" weber kettle, the bullet is my unmodded 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. between the two I can cook a lot of food. and, since they're both charcoal, I only stock one type of fuel.
No wood chunks at all? That's just un-American! I go with Marty's technique, basically; four or five hours in the WSM - with wood chunks in my case - and then it's off to the oven! Once you wrap those butts they don't know where they are!
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #32
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Sorry if this has been discussed but the smoke is soaked in during the first couple hours so how about 2-3 hours in the stick burner and then off toe the Big Green Egg and I go to bed?
Have done a similar method starting off with my Klose then finishing for the long haul in the WSM.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #33
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

IMO if a person wants to use charcoal, wood, or whatever it's their choice. When a person is more experienced with bbq it doesn't make them the bbq police.

So if that person wants to use charcoal (no matter if it works or not) it's their choice and not anyone else's problem but theirs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's all there is to it.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #34
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have never owned or cooked on a smoker that I could not do both, heck I even use wood on my gas grill. Charcoal will give a more even temp control if set up right, wood can be more challenging. If you don't have a good source for wood, then that is one thing to keep in mind, along with a place to store it.
Dave

Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #35
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

It is easy to oversmoke your meat in a stickburner when just burning wood if you don't burn the wood down to coals first which is a real pain in the a$$. This makes a good case for using lump charcoal along with a few wood chunks.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #36
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post
It is easy to oversmoke your meat in a stickburner when just burning wood if you don't burn the wood down to coals first which is a real pain in the a$$. This makes a good case for using lump charcoal along with a few wood chunks.
I agree that if you let the wood smolder you will get a bad smoke, but you don't have to burn wood to coals prior to using. With proper fire management and seasoned wood, you can load splits all day long and maintain thin blue smoke. My splits ignite within seconds of loading, never smolders (unless I'm drunk)
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #37
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
I agree that if you let the wood smolder you will get a bad smoke, but you don't have to burn wood to coals prior to using. With proper fire management and seasoned wood, you can load splits all day long and maintain thin blue smoke. My splits ignite within seconds of loading, never smolders (unless I'm drunk)
I'm in total agreement with you. I've never over smoked meat on a stick burner. You've just got to keep that thin blue .

Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I tend to see more over smoking (at least from an acrid tasting perspective) happening in barrel/bullet cookers due to the way smoke circulates in the lid. A properly ventilated stick burner with properly cut (thin) seasoned splits will roll TBS all day.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #39
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
I tend to see more over smoking (at least from an acrid tasting perspective) happening in barrel/bullet cookers due to the way smoke circulates in the lid. A properly ventilated stick burner with properly cut (thin) seasoned splits will roll TBS all day.
Splits.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #40
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Splits.
Yeah, somehow we changed subjects and moved from charcoal in a stick burner to over-smoked meat.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #41
SmittyJonz

I like Brisket.!.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #42
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Do you wanna burn Charcoal or Wood? Not to pick on anyone in particular but I see A lot of guys on here , on other forum and on Youtube Buy a Wood Burning Offset Smokers then they want to make them run on Charcoal. It don't work like that - if you want a Charcoal Smoker BUY a Charcoal Smoker - UDS, WSM, PBC- Cabinet Smoker EtC. If you BUY a WOOD BURNER then PLAN on Burning WOOD.

Ya some Fellars have gotten some offsets to run Good on Charcoal n Wood Chunks in a Basket but that's not the norm.

Do ask yourself if you have access to Wood or Do you want to have to buy Wood by the 1/4 cord , 1/2 cord or cord, Is there any a wood to buy around me and do I wanna tend a fire every 45 minutes? If you answer no to any of those Questions don't buy an Offset.

If you do decide you can buy/ get wood and like tending a fire then make sure your post your buy and mods and cooks with plenty of pics!!!
Man I've been crying out from the wilderness about that for eons! You have no idea how nice it is to hear someone else say it for a change!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #43
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

I have been burning sticks for many, many years I have yet to experience old smoke stale smoke or rancid smoke. I think different regions must like different amounts of smoke on their meat. I live in the south and for me I want a certain amount of smoke on my meat, there is a line I do not like to go beyond. I like it, all my folks like it, and all my friends. Heck they must I do big cooks a lot and never had nar a complaint. I say run whatever your heart desires as long as you get the desired results and you and yours are happy. I just like to have fun!!!!!!

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #44
mrbill
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
No wood chunks at all? That's just un-American! I go with Marty's technique, basically; four or five hours in the WSM - with wood chunks in my case - and then it's off to the oven! Once you wrap those butts they don't know where they are!
op was referencing fuel. I do use wood chunks, but for flavor, not fuel

Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #45
SmokeDiddy
On the road to being a farker

In my BSKD, I always start with a Weber chimney full of lit Kingsford Blue for my initial coal base. For the rest of the cook, I add nothing but small splits and chunks...depending on what's available at the time. I will also say that I keep a few splits and chunks on top of my firebox. When it is time to add, I pull from there. Typically, I will only add one split or maybe two chunks at a time. This keeps my fires very small, hot and efficient.

When I was first learning to use my BSKD, I tried to use charcoal 100%, but I could never "maintain" the temp I needed, so I started using splits and chunks for my main fuel. Once I have foiled, I will add lump sometimes, if I am running low on chunks and splits.

IMO, if the pitmaster can make charcoal work in his stick burner, then more power to him. Now that I have my cooker dialed in and I know what fuel works best, I do not consider other fuel options for my cooker.

My 2 Cents

[B]*BSKD[/B]
[B]*Weber 22.5" OTS[/B]
[B]*40" MES[/B]
[B]*ECB (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Weber Smokey Joe (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Maverick ET-7[/B]
[COLOR="Red"]*Weber tongs and such, hd alum foil, chimneys, matches, wood and other misc doo-dads and thing-a-majigs[/COLOR]
SmokeDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote