Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

I certainly don't want to hijack this thread, I have been enjoying it since it started. I know all of us have a secret ambition of starting our own restaurants and this has certainly taken away any desire to do that. But I can live vicariously through Jeremy. That being said I have to chime in about Famous Daves. I just moved to rural Kansas but spent 40 years in KC. I have been to most of the BBQ restaurants in KC and this is really sad but I think Famous Dave's across the board is consistently as good as all the "famous" joints in KC.
Even ribs, which is supposedly our specialty are bad as often as they are good. I haven't been to a few of the new places like Q39 or Ploughboys but I would usually just assume eat at FD's as most of the joints in town.

Keep us posted as you move forward. We're only 45 minutes from you. Can't wait for some GOOD Bbq (beside my own of course)!

Will do. I just up a meeting with a mentor from SCORE. I want to do this right because I have only one chance not to screw my life up. :thumb:

Beautiful pup! By the look his face, did you happen to forget to share your BBQ?:-D

Nah, I think she was just tired. She and my daughter had been on the road for 3 days driving from McCall, Idaho prior to me meeting them in Chicago. She did get a nibble of brisket though.

Yes, bark will come off as it dries and begins to separate. Then sanding to a fine finish. And no, sealed with mineral oil. Lots and lots of oil. Olive, or any other cooking oil will go rancid over time.

I would look into something called Butcher's Block Conditioner. IIRC it is mineral oil with beeswax & carnuba wax. I use that as initial coats whenever I get a new cutting board and then use straight mineral oil after every use / washing.

Of course that could lead to more allergen issues so you might just be better off using oil but a piece of lumber like that deserves the best it can get.

I have read and followed this thread for about a year and Jeremy has done a tremendous job jumping over all of the obstacles that he has encountered. He's living the dream and showing us that it is not all fun and games. Especially taking on so much catering. That's a whole separate business. Hopefully the reason he hasn't updated us in awhile is that he is on a well deserved vacation. I live in the Twin Cites in MN and I hope to make a summer trip thru his stomping ground to visit the prized pig.

Hey guys. I know it's been a while since I've posted. It's been four of the most difficult months of my life and I'm just now catching back up. I wish I could sit here and tell you how amazing everything is going, but that isn't the case.

First, the bad. The restaurant has been broken into and robbed three times since September. After nearly two straight years of no problems, it's been a nightmare on that front. Obviously, the first time was the worst and it served as a learning experience, but it never gets easier, or to avoid feeling so violated when it does happen again.

There have also been numerous issues with a few food vendors. Promises broken, money owed and lost, product not coming as expected, contract disputes, you name it. It's gotten ugly with a few people. Real ugly. I hate it. I hate that side of the business. It sucks the life out of you.

Lastly, for better or worse, the restaurant has largely cost me my marriage. Granted, there were other issues at play as well, but opening the restaurant didn't help any. So going through a divorce while trying to run a restaurant on top of everything else that has been going on is enough to break anyone. I came close, but I've stuck through it. It has been so damn difficult, and it's forced me out of a lot of the day to day operations, which has in turn hurt some other things, but hopefully I can get this stuff wrapped up soon and get back to focusing on the restaurant.

But it's not all bad. Business is good. In fact, it's up 60% over last year. Not too bad. This past December was actually one of the best months of the year. We were rocking all sorts of big company christmas party catering jobs. We've done some whole hog cooks, a lot of off-site cooking, and all of that this fall as well.

We're also already booking weddings and events for this coming summer and the calendar is starting to fill up. Business is strong and continuing to grow. Product consistency is still there, although there have been a few hiccups lately. But the feedback is almost always 99% positive, so that's the most important part. (Other than the guy today who complained to me that he likes sweet baby ray's sauce and was pissed I didn't have anything that sweet to offer.)

Bottom line is, business is good, but the struggles are real. If anyone leads you to believe this is an easy business to be in, they are lying. I've aged 10 years in the past 2. I've been pushed to my breaking point. I've experienced the highest of highs. It's rewarding to be sure, but easy it is not.

I'll try to post a few more details once I wrap up the books on 2015 that can give some more insight to the breakdown of the business itself.

As a former Foodservice salesperson with over 10 years of experience, I always advised people wanting to get into the restaurant business that owning a restaurant is like having a newborn baby that never grows up. It requires your constant attention and affection. If you don't treat it that way, your business will go down the toilet. I hope 2016 is a profitable and rewarding year for you. I know you have heard it before, but thank you for sharing your journey with all of us.

Wow. While I have no desire to ever open up my own place I have casually follow this thread because it's real life stuff. Much credit for bearing your soul through this whole thing and especially this last post. I think one of the reasons you did this was not just to document your journey but also hold yourself accountable so to speak. And you've held true to your mission.

As an aside, apart from being probably the greatest thread I've ever seen on any board, this could almost be a book for you sometime down the line. The do's and don'ts of the BBQ restaurant business.

I wish you nothing but the absolute best in your personal and professional life going forward, and that you for sharing your journey with us.

No wonder you haven't been around the last couple of times the wifey and I stopped in! Sorry to hear about the marriage but glad to hear your business is still going strong.

Sorry to hear of the bad, sucks. Never caught the bastards that broke in?

The good is that the restaurant sounds like it's going great guns and that's fantastic.

I remember you saying that women seemed to treat you like a rockstar a while back and wondered if your marriage could survive it. Very tough to balance all of the obligations, etc. I hope everything turns out for the best.

>> this could almost be a book for you sometime down the line. The do's and don'ts
>> of the BBQ restaurant business.

If a book, not so much the do's and don'ts, but the *adventures* of running a successful business.

Damn dude . . . sorry to hear about the break-in's and break-up. :sad:

Hey guys. I know it's been a while since I've posted. It's been four of the most difficult months of my life and I'm just now catching back up. I wish I could sit here and tell you how amazing everything is going, but that isn't the case.

First, the bad. The restaurant has been broken into and robbed three times since September. After nearly two straight years of no problems, it's been a nightmare on that front. Obviously, the first time was the worst and it served as a learning experience, but it never gets easier, or to avoid feeling so violated when it does happen again.

There have also been numerous issues with a few food vendors. Promises broken, money owed and lost, product not coming as expected, contract disputes, you name it. It's gotten ugly with a few people. Real ugly. I hate it. I hate that side of the business. It sucks the life out of you.

Lastly, for better or worse, the restaurant has largely cost me my marriage. Granted, there were other issues at play as well, but opening the restaurant didn't help any. So going through a divorce while trying to run a restaurant on top of everything else that has been going on is enough to break anyone. I came close, but I've stuck through it. It has been so damn difficult, and it's forced me out of a lot of the day to day operations, which has in turn hurt some other things, but hopefully I can get this stuff wrapped up soon and get back to focusing on the restaurant.

But it's not all bad. Business is good. In fact, it's up 60% over last year. Not too bad. This past December was actually one of the best months of the year. We were rocking all sorts of big company christmas party catering jobs. We've done some whole hog cooks, a lot of off-site cooking, and all of that this fall as well.

We're also already booking weddings and events for this coming summer and the calendar is starting to fill up. Business is strong and continuing to grow. Product consistency is still there, although there have been a few hiccups lately. But the feedback is almost always 99% positive, so that's the most important part. (Other than the guy today who complained to me that he likes sweet baby ray's sauce and was pissed I didn't have anything that sweet to offer.)

Bottom line is, business is good, but the struggles are real. If anyone leads you to believe this is an easy business to be in, they are lying. I've aged 10 years in the past 2. I've been pushed to my breaking point. I've experienced the highest of highs. It's rewarding to be sure, but easy it is not.

I'll try to post a few more details once I wrap up the books on 2015 that can give some more insight to the breakdown of the business itself.

Sound like your passion to be in the food service arena is your focal point. Now that you have built a name for yourself, what I would do is go to Thurs-Sun restaurant service and cater/events to make up all the rest of the income. You will have less hassles and more time to tend to things you need to. The restaurant side is what is killing you. You limit your exposure on that side, you can still make a very good living on the catering and event side.
I wish you the best in 2016.

Wow Jeremy, very sorry to hear of your troubles. Nothing like being kicked in the arse for all your hard work. Try to keep your chin up & focus on the good. I know myself & everyone here is rooting for you. All the best, my brother

I am one of many who have read every single post in your incredible adventure,
in fact it is YOUR post that led me to BBQ-Brethren.
I admire your dedication to quality, your backbone to weather the incredible lows and highs you have seen, and your perseverance.
Keep us posted, an God Bless in the New Year.

Back