• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Flat vs Whole Brisket?

smokinvic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The flat is considerably smaller than the whole brisket, right? If this in fact is the case, what would the difference be in cook time? I have cooked a whole brisket for over 10 hrs. Will a flat be cooked in half that time?

Mine will generally take somewhere between 1.5 hrs/lb and 1.75 hrs/lb. Obviously there are lots of variables to this and you can't cook a brisket by time, but it's a decent guide. The flat is still the same size whether the point is attached or not, so cooking time shouldn't decrease that much.

You're still going to need 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours per pound. Be careful if you're buying a "trimmed brisket flat" because most of the time they trim off damn near all of the fat, leaving a very tough, lean chunk of beef. That makes for a tough, dry chunk of cooked beef.
Don't ask how I know this :icon_blush:.

You're still going to need 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours per pound. Be careful if you're buying a "trimmed brisket flat" because most of the time they trim off damn near all of the fat, leaving a very tough, lean chunk of beef. That makes for a tough, dry chunk of cooked beef.
Don't ask how I know this :icon_blush:.

:mrgreen: If you happen to get a very well trimmed flat -- lay a layer of bacon over the top and cook away. Funny thing, though, when I used to do this the bacon never made it into the house! :shock:

:mrgreen: If you happen to get a very well trimmed flat -- lay a layer of bacon over the top and cook away. Funny thing, though, when I used to do this the bacon never made it into the house! :shock:

It's like I tell my wife.... Bacon makes everything taste better.....:grin:

I think that this might be a cool way to cook pig candy.:idea: What do you think?

Back